Monday, 4 May 2026

After the Silence: On Heartbreak, Memory, and the Pale Dawn of Spring

 


I had not meant to stay away from these pages for so long. The silence grew slowly, then all at once, until it seemed impossible to return. Winter has a way of doing that. It closes not only the earth but also something inward, some gentler faculty of seeing and naming. 

For a time, I felt as though a dark screen had been drawn between myself and the world. I could not write, because writing asks one to turn inward, and I feared too keenly what I might find there.

 


It was in that season that we lost Philo. 

 


She had been unwell, though the brevity of it still startles me. A heart murmur in January, slowly turning away from her food, and by February she was gone. There are losses that do not arrive with warning enough for the heart to prepare itself.

Philo was not simply a pet. She was part of the family. A Birman, with that soft, luminous beauty of her kind, she was my muse, my companion, and she had her rituals, her sense of order, her gentle, loving presence. There was something almost regal and innate elegance in her demeanour.

Philo was the name we spoke each day, though her full Sunday name, Philomena, a name of Greek origin, meaning “beloved”, “daughter of light”, and in a life where we had no children of our own, she was, in every way, our girl.

 


On weekends, she would come to me while I read, stepping across the pages as though to remind me that no book could rival her presence. Then she would settle on my chest, her small weight warm and steady purring, and often we would both fall asleep in that simple closeness. I remember those moments now with a kind of aching tenderness. 

 


When I returned from the city, she would be waiting on the chaise lounge, attentive, watchful. The moment I entered, she would run to me, then turn onto her back, offering her soft, fluffy belly to be stroked. It was her way, unfailing and wholehearted. She never missed it. 

There was a devotion in that small ritual that I did not fully understand until it was gone.

On the day she died, I was not there.

That absence has been one of the hardest things to carry. G was with her, and I am grateful for that, but the mind lingers on what it cannot change. There was no farewell, no last moment to hold her, no closing of that long and faithful companionship. 

For a while, I found myself caught in that thought, returning to it again and again, as though I might somehow alter it by persistence. Grief is not reasonable. It searches for causes, for guilts, for faults, even where none can be found.

 


“What did you miss when the days went missing

What did you wish for when the world went dark

Streetlights still switched on in the evening

The sun still performed its daily march

What did you do with all those hours

How did you fill up all that space

Spring still arrived with all of its flowers

(…)

What did you see when the days turned shapeless

Dreaming of distances beneath the blue

Walking for miles alone and aimless

Trying to recall what made you you…”

 


What Did You Miss, a beautiful song by Mary Chapin Carpenter from her latest album, Personal History, 2025



I recall her favourite game of hiding in the laundry basket. She would tuck herself among the linens, her eyes bright with mischief, convinced of her invisibility. It is in such small recollections that she returns most clearly. 

As Gibran writes, “Remembrance is a form of meeting.” I find solace in that thought.



Grief is a strange country. It has no clear boundaries, no fixed duration. It comes in waves, in sudden sharp returns, in quieter undercurrents that one scarcely notices until they rise again. 

It is different for each of us, and we move through it as we can. There is no right way, only the way that is possible. 

It has been said that grief is love persevering. If so, then this sorrow is not without its meaning; for beneath it lies a love that has not perished, but a love that has taken root more deeply.



I have tried to hold on to gratitude. The years we shared were a gift, even if they feel too few. Philo taught me something of gentleness, of loyalty, of that unguarded way of loving that animals possess so naturally. They do not measure or withhold. They give, entirely and unconditionally.

 




Spring has come, and with it a subtle change. It does not erase what has passed. Yet it alters the light by which one sees.

 


There are mornings now when I sit in the garden and simply breathe, letting the air fill me without resistance. The flowers have returned in abundance, small and bright, each one catching the light as though it had been waiting for this moment. 

The scent of freshly cut grass rises softly, and the dew lies upon it like scattered glass, shining as the sun reaches it.

 



“Darkness is but a journeying toward dawn.”



There is a particular corner of the garden where the light falls gently through green stems, and there one finds a stillness that is a kind of waiting. It is in such places that I begin to feel the first easing of that tightness which grief imposes.

 




I have taken again to small pleasures. Music, for instance, has returned to me. There is something in Mozart that seems to understand both sorrow and grace, holding them together without contradiction.

 




Within the house, too, a softer rhythm has begun to form again. G prepares a delicious meal for our brunch to welcome the spring. 

The croissants are light and warm. Within them, there is lobster meat, delicately dressed, its sweetness tempered by the freshness of egg and cress. The oolong tea is poured alongside, its fragrance faintly floral, its warmth calming. I find that I can take a few bites, then a few more.





The wind moves across the water beyond, stirring the sails of passing boats. Larks rise into the high air, their song almost lost in the brightness of the sky. Clouds pass, unhurried, across a blue that seems newly washed.

 


Grief has no calendar. It does not conclude with the turning of a season, nor does it obey the will. Yet something in the rhythm of spring offers a counterpoint, a quiet assurance that sorrow is not the only enduring truth. One may carry both, the loss and the light, without betraying either.

 


There are still moments when the absence of Philo strikes with unexpected force. I do not think these will ever entirely cease. But their hold is no longer absolute. There are intervals now, brief but real, in which I can look upon the world without that dark screen between us, and in those intervals I begin to write again.

If darkness is indeed a journey toward dawn, then perhaps this is its first pale hour.













My beloved Philo…Forever missed, forever carried within me.


11 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss. You and Philo are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, David, for your kind and thoughtful words. They are sincerely appreciated. I hope you are well and that you are having a good spring.

      Delete
  2. I need to tell you that I felt the keennesses of your grief---I knew it was grief which kept you silent for those days and months. Moments of soft joy in my own days could emerge, but thoughts brought shared SOMETHING that you must be surrendering to, like shards of a shattered mirror. Moire non in e-mail later, but know remembrance and shared sorrow link from this far remove, and I hope you know how much you're loved. j

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear J,

      Many thanks for your lovely message.

      It was grief that kept me from writing, and also the knowledge that to write would be to face it fully. I was not ready then. I am only just beginning to be so now.

      This blog has always been a place of reflection for me, and I suppose I hoped that in setting these thoughts down, there might be some small measure of healing. Not only for myself, but perhaps for others who have known loss in their own lives, and who might, in reading, feel less alone in it. There is a kind of fellowship in shared sorrow, even when it is unspoken.

      Philo was with us for so many years that her presence became inseparable from the life we knew. When she was gone, we were utterly bereft. You speak of remembrance and shared sorrow, and I believe there is truth in that. To know that one is held in another’s thought, even from a distance, is no small comfort.

      I have missed you, and I look forward to returning to your writing with the attention it deserves.

      Thank you, dear J, for your kindness, and for the constancy of your presence.

      Delete
  3. I've been back this morning, soaking in all the colour and depth of your words and photos, and I stopped twice, smiling, at the tall vase of daffodils (Jonquils in my Southern upbringing, though they may be two separate species). I cannot look without thinking of a choir of too-tall-too-soon spindly choirboys, with their hair slicked for Sunday, and looming gangly above the small sopranos. May that image send you the music it conjures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear friend, I have no words to express my heartfelt sympathy with your grief. You suffered the loss, which came unexpectedly, and I believe words cannot soothe your grief. Though it is good to feel that others empathise.
    You need time - that at least allows a wound to heal, though one keeps a scar.
    "It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all" - with these words of Alfred Lord Tennyson I slip away and wish that you will recover from that blow of sadness. Spring with beautiful nature might give some solace. Yours, Britta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Britta,

      Thank you for your deeply kind and thoughtful words.

      Your mention of Alfred, Lord Tennyson touched me very much. “It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all” feels especially true now.

      With warmest wishes,
      ASD

      Delete
  5. Oh your beautiful dear family member, Philo. She was such a treasure for you. I adopted my dog when he was five and he is 14 now. I can empathize with your grief and thank you for posting for us. You live surrounded by beauty, which offers some solace, yet ... Be well my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Terra,

      Many thanks for your very kind and understanding words about dear Philo.

      How wonderful that your dog found his way to you at five years old and is now the fine age of fourteen. There is something deeply touching about animals who arrive into our lives and quietly transform them through their steadfast devotion. They ask for so little beyond affection and companionship, yet give so much of themselves in return each day without reserve or condition.

      I have often thought that animals possess a sensitivity many human beings lose somewhere along the way. They seem to understand moods, grief, weariness, and loneliness instinctively, without needing language for any of it. When life felt particularly sharp or burdensome, I would often sit quietly stroking and grooming Philo, and the moment I heard her begin to purr, something within me softened too. It was as though she could gently smooth the rougher edges of the world simply through her calm presence and trust.

      Even now I still become tearful when I think of her. She was such a gentle soul, full of grace and affection.

      Your dear dog is very fortunate to have found such kindness and love with you, and equally fortunate, I think, to have become your loyal companion through these years. Please do give him a little pat from me.

      Delete
  6. You have been missed. So glad that your voice is back, even in sadness, for it carries all the beauty you always convey and will keep alive for us those you love. Marta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Marta,

      Many thanks for your kind words. It is a great comfort to know that there are readers such as yourself who have accompanied me through these pages for so many years. One of the unexpected gifts of keeping a blog is friendships that develop over time, even across great distances. Though we may never meet in person, there is a sense of familiarity and goodwill that grows through shared seasons, stories, and reflections.

      I hope you are having a lovely summer wherever you are, filled with sunshine, good books, and peaceful moments.

      Delete

Here is a place set apart from the press of days, where those who linger may find, in quiet company, a measure of solace drawn from nature, art, literature, music, and the deeper currents of thought. It means more than I can say that you pause here, not only to read and look, but to leave behind words that turn these solitary reflections into a shared conversation.