The sound of spring has been returning by degrees these past weeks, most perceptibly in the mornings, when the mind, not yet armoured against the day, receives every impression with unusual clarity.
I wake now to the cries of oystercatchers working the shoreline below the house, their sharp voices travelling through the sea air.
When I open the window, I can often hear the low hum of fishing boats somewhere out on the water, steady and distant, moving through the harbour mist long before most people are awake.
It is a sound so long woven into the fabric of these mornings that I think I should feel curiously bereft without it, as one might if an old clock suddenly ceased ticking in a familiar room.
The mornings are still cold enough for sweaters, as G likes to say, and there are days when frost lingers stubbornly on the windscreens near the harbour, as though winter, though diminished, is reluctant to concede defeat entirely.
Spring in this part of the world advances with reserve. One notices first an alteration
in the light, then the smell of wet earth after rain, and afterwards the
birdsong seems suddenly fuller, as though the world itself had resumed speaking
after a long silent retreat.
G has lately been playing Eddy Arnold’s old 1963 album, Faithfully Yours while gardening, and because the windows remain open now, the music drifts through the rooms and outward into the garden together with the scent of damp soil and newly cut grass.
There is one hymn
especially that has attached itself so completely to these spring mornings in
this season of pale northern light that I think I shall feel oddly forlorn without it.
“Oh, they tell me of a home far beyond the
skies
Oh, they tell me of a home far away
Oh, they tell me of a home where no storm
clouds rise
Oh, they tell me of an unclouded day.”
There is something deeply consoling in Eddy Arnold’s voice. It has warmth and an unaffected sincerity that has become increasingly rare. Certain songs cease after a while to feel like music at all. They become attached to weather, to rooms, to particular hours of one’s life, until hearing them again is less an act of listening than of remembering.
I
suspect that years from now, if those lines should reach me unexpectedly
somewhere, I shall at once think of sea wind, damp earth, and these quiet
mornings beside the coast.
The cherry trees in the nearby woodlands have begun flowering now, and when the breeze stirs the branches the petals drift downward through the air with the soft aimlessness of confetti after some modest celebration already half forgotten. The lilacs, too, have opened.
Their
sweetness mingles with the mineral scent of the sea carried inland on the wind. Everywhere there are signs, not merely of growth, but of return.
The earth that lay dormant through winter has
softened again beneath the light. Gardens which only weeks ago appeared
exhausted now wait patiently for tillage and seed. Nature never hurries
restoration. It proceeds according to rhythms too old to concern themselves
with urgency.
I think the human spirit obeys much the same
law.
There are seasons in life when something inward withdraws entirely from growth. One continues outwardly, answers letters, fulfils obligations, prepares meals, yet inwardly remains still and winterbound.
I have come to believe there is nothing unnatural in this
condition. Fields are not barren merely because they rest beneath frost awhile.
Now, slowly, I feel something within myself
beginning to stir again. The sense that the inward ground, long cold and
resistant, has begun at last to soften.
The swallows have returned these past weeks
with astonishing precision, crossing the evening sky with their forked tails
and tireless flight, arriving back at the same places. Watching them, I
sometimes wonder whether much of life rests on this instinct towards return.
Towards shelter. Towards companionship.
Towards the places where one has once been known and recognised.
Even our oldest stories seem shaped by this
longing. In Odyssey, the hero refuses immortality itself for the chance to
return home, as though no eternity could compensate the heart for exile from
what it truly belongs to.
Perhaps healing itself is only another form
of homing instinct.
If the haar remains obediently out at sea, we walk along the coast in the afternoons. Before leaving, I place the vintage Perrier glasses into the refrigerator, a habit inherited from my grandfather, who maintained that cold glasses improved almost everything in warm weather, whether one intended to serve water, lemonade, or beer.
I remember finding this faintly excessive when I was younger. Age, however, reconciles one to many small domestic observances once dismissed as unnecessary. One begins to understand that what survives longest in family life is rarely grandeur, but attentiveness.
I now think that attentiveness may itself be one of the purest
forms of affection.
When we return from walking, the elderflower lemonade tastes especially sharp and reviving from the chilled glasses, and we sit quietly in the garden with biscuits while the wind moves through the shrubs and carries inland the smell of salt and tidewater.
There are afternoons now
when the world appears arranged with such modest sufficiency that one wonders
why mankind labours so tirelessly to complicate existence.
Somewhere in the background, the soft singing
of Chet Baker drifts faintly through the open windows, romantic and wistful in
that unguarded way only his voice could manage…
There is a painting by Diego Velázquez which
has remained with me for many years, The Waterseller of Seville. Of the three
known versions, the one housed in the Walters Art Museum has always seemed to
me the most affecting, perhaps because of its darker atmosphere and the
remarkable chiaroscuro through which light emerges so gently from shadow.
![]() |
The Waterseller of Seville, Diego Velázquez (ca.1620), Oil on canvas, Walters Art Museum,
Baltimore. (Image: Wikipedia)
The painting belongs to the Spanish bodegón
tradition, those quiet studies of ordinary life concerned with kitchens,
taverns, vessels, bread, water, and the humble objects through which daily
existence sustains itself. Velázquez gives us merely an old water seller
handing a glass of water to a young boy. The composition is rendered with a grave and almost austere honesty. Earthenware jars, moisture on glass, rough cloth, weathered skin. Nothing extravagant. Nothing idealised. Nothing of bourgeois primness or decorative vanity intrudes on the scene.
And yet I have always believed the painting
concerns itself with far more than water.
The old man extends the glass towards the boy with such gravity and tenderness that the gesture acquires something almost sacramental. It is not merely refreshment being offered, but some quieter inheritance.
A way of living passed carefully from one hand to another through
acts so ordinary they are scarcely noticed while they occur.
I have always loved the painting for reasons
far less scholarly than art historians would approve. It reminds me simply of
my grandfather opening the refrigerator and handing me a chilled Perrier glass
after long afternoons outdoors. What survives most vividly in memory is seldom
grandeur. More often it is some fleeting act of care so ordinary at the time
that one scarcely perceives its significance until years afterward.
Modern life encourages a dangerous
forgetfulness about such things. We live among machines that compress time,
magnify noise, and accelerate labour, yet leave many people strangely
impoverished in spirit. One begins mistaking motion for meaning. Yet if all the
engines ceased tomorrow, if every frantic mechanism fell silent and rusted
quietly into the earth, mankind would still seek the same ancient consolations
it has always sought.
Cool water when thirsty. Shade in heat.
Shelter from weather. The nearness of another living being. Familiar voices at
the close of day.
These things are not luxuries. They are the
root of life itself.
Human longing alters very little across
centuries.
And so I return, in thought, to my grandfather’s chilled glasses and to Velázquez’s old water seller extending his glass towards the waiting boy. The gesture survives because the need survives.
Human beings continue, as they always have, to hunger and thirst for remarkably simple mercies. A little shelter from harshness. A little tenderness woven into ordinary hours.
Some coolness after weariness. Some reassurance that even
within this restless and hurried world there remain small acts of care by which
life may still be gently sustained.
I adore this jazz album, Syms by Sinatra, released in 1982 by the singer Sylvia Syms, who was also one of Frank Sinatra’s favourite singers. Sinatra himself arranged and produced the album. It is lush and sumptuous, filled with sweeping strings and sophistication, romantic in the truest sense of the word.
My favourite song on the album is You Must Believe in Spring, written by Alan and Marilyn Bergman and Michel Legrand. Syms’s rendition is deeply heartfelt, and one immediately understands why Sinatra admired her so greatly. She gives a masterclass in phrasing. The voice remains smoky and sultry, yet exquisitely controlled. Pitch perfect. Tone pure. She creates magic with every song, shaping each lyric with nuance and emotional intelligence, giving the story texture, atmosphere, and point of view.
What makes her such an extraordinary artist
is her intimacy. She understands that great singing is not an exhibition of
voice alone, but an act of storytelling to communicate something tender and
human from the heart. She possesses the rare ability to inhabit a song
completely, and because of that she never paints in only one colour. Her
palette is full, subtle, and richly expressive.



This post is full of beauty in your photos and in your words of wisdom. I talked yesterday in a small women's group I started, about celebrating Holy Moments. Your photos show many of these that you recognize. You might like my post today about a journal by May Sarton. Oh, the pink table cloth is a delight to see and sets off nicely all that you set on it.
ReplyDeleteHello Terra,
DeleteHow lovely to see you here again, and many thanks for your thoughtful and generous words. I was especially touched to hear about the small women’s group you have started around the idea of celebrating Holy Moments. What a beautiful and necessary thing that is. The older I grow, the more convinced I become that life is shaped by these small and subtle illuminations which arrive almost unnoticed if one is not paying attention.
I do love May Sarton very much, both her journals and her poetry. She possessed that rare gift of observing the inward life and her cats, and she understood so well the necessity of solitude, beauty, ritual, and reflection. I shall certainly come and read your post with great pleasure.
I am delighted you liked the pink tablecloth. There is something about that particular shade of pink which seems inseparable from this time of year. Here, the early morning skies often arrive in soft peach and rosy tones, and at sunset the horizon sometimes blushes with almost the same colour. It creates such a gentle atmosphere outdoors, especially when the light lingers into evening.
Pink has always seemed to me one of the most romantic of colours, though not in any frivolous sense. It feels nurturing, inviting, and celebratory. The tablecloth goes beautifully with floral china for tea, especially when surrounded by armfuls of flowers gathered from the garden. There is a certain whimsy in it all which I confess I cherish more as I grow older.
Thank you again, dear Terra, for your kindness and for sharing your own reflections so generously.
Warmest wishes to you, and I hope your Memorial Day weekend has been filled with beauty and peace.
Here you ARE!! More of the YOU than the Winter allowed, but how can this WET Saturday compare to all that loveliness I just wandered through on these pages. I've been out for a moment, choosing the local wear-your-gloves-before-touching little mart so close, in lieu of the bank, for the lawn-guys' pay. The once-a-year patio scrubber arrived with the dawn, to cleanse our Augean Stable of its Winter's rime and lime, where too many animal feasts and midnight revels occurred amongst the ice and snow. (My love of BIG TRUCKS and watching that water-play must have stunted my emotional growth, for I LOVE the cascades and the slicing suds, conveying something of the fragrance of my Mother's Standing Appointment at the Chat 'n' Curl for decades, and leaving all the raccoons' and possums' messy banquet pristine---but a drying memory in the year's turn.
ReplyDeleteAll that PINK was such a surfeit, and my covet of your floral largesse is phenomenal---my Mother's Day bouquet of pink everything save a couple of "silver" roses has been caretaken by Leah, who has trimmed and re-arranged several times, to a smaller vase for another week's enjoyment. Those strolls of yours---I first mistook the sheep-field for a small field of very small cotton, with the incongruous swell of tiny bolls bursting beneath their feet---THAT'S MY reference, and what I woke to every day of my life out in the country---cotton and soybeans far as you could see.
Such a quiet wonder this been, with only my breaking into the "OHHH, The Land of Cloudless DAY!!" parts as I read---If you and Gordon sing along, I'd hope you'd have a small place for a Lady Baritone---Eddy Arnold was one of the two LP's I chose circa 1967 or so, for Leah's second birthday. Her Daddy always gave ME gifts along with theirs, and he'd surprised me with a combo Stereo and B/W TV---a gorgeous MC-M blonde cabinet on Jetson legs, and a choice of any albums. (I've always thought THAT large a gift was that she got to be TWO and we weren't expecting again---I had my three within 34 months, and every year, they're year-stair-steps).
I'm just so happy to hear your voice, to read these sumptuous sentences, of icy glasses and lemonade, of new times and flowers and strolls alongst the seaside---I connote that one word to be what we call going to "the beach,"--- and think of Brighton, so beloved of silly Kitty Bennet, vs. that fabulously scary/wondrous shoreline and cliffs you take familiarly that I'm GREEN as Scarlett's portiere dress, (but not ever as elegant and striking as that CHARTREUSE you've handed me on a ten-course plate---magnificent!!) Your reminiscence and recovery create manna for us all.
I must away to the lunch plans, though it's three o'clock---I have half the ingredients for a chicken casserole stirred languidly around in a big bowl, but am hovering this cloudy, chilly day over getting out all the Chinese leftovers from our dinner with the "girls" for a delayed MD celebration on Thursday. A big tray-bake of all those luscious leftovers would not go amiss on a day like this, and the casserole so handy for a quick oven tomorrow.
Love and Thank You from this far remove, and moire non for this magical walk through your terrific therapeutic territory---You know part of my heart will always live there. j
My dear J,
DeleteHow wonderful it is to hear from you. Your letters always arrive with such warmth and vividness that one feels less as though one is reading words upon a screen and more as though one has been invited into a deeply familiar sitting room, full of stories, weather, memory, and the comforting sound of conversation carrying on into the afternoon. I hope you are having a lovely Memorial Day weekend. We have been blessed with beautiful weather here over the Bank Holiday, and after such a long winter I find myself grateful for every pale stretch of sunlight and every hour gentle enough for the garden.
I was so pleased to hear about your Mother’s Day gift. How thoughtful that Leah continues caring for the bouquet so lovingly, trimming and rearranging the flowers so their beauty might linger another week.
The pink peonies were planted by G several years ago, and at the time he worried they might never tolerate the salt air from the sea. Yet perhaps plants respond to affection much as people do, for they have flourished wonderfully under his TLC. Every year I wait eagerly for them to bloom again.
I smiled so much reading your descriptions of the patio washing and the great jubilant cascades of water and suds. You write so wonderfully about ordinary domestic scenes and somehow transform them into theatre. I could picture the whole scene. I think there is something eternally childlike in the pleasure of watching water in motion. Even now I can lose myself completely in the sight of waves breaking repeatedly against stone.
And yes, Eddy Arnold has become woven into our spring days here in the most unexpected and comforting way. Before G introduced me properly to his music, I knew little beyond his famous song, “Make the World Go Away,” but now "Faithfully Yours" seems inseparable from this season altogether. G calls it “hymns for harmonious times,” which feels exactly right. There is such warmth and sincerity in Eddy Arnold’s deep baritone voice, accompanied by those rich choral arrangements and orchestration that seem to belong to another age altogether, an age perhaps slower and gentler.
We often play the album while driving through the countryside along the coast roads. Though I dearly love Mozart and Strauss, there is something about Eddy Arnold’s voice that belongs naturally to open country, to winding lanes, fields, weathered stone walls, and long horizons. We drive with the windows slightly open, searching for antiques, little plant sales, fresh eggs laid that morning, and occasionally stopping at farm shops where, quite reliably, one discovers the best afternoon teas hidden in the most unassuming places. Those small outings have become one of our greatest pleasures in the spring and summer.
Your description of the sheep fields made me laugh! I can perfectly understand mistaking them for little bursts of cotton from afar. How extraordinary that those scenes awakened memories of your own childhood landscapes stretching outward into soybeans and cotton fields as far as the eye could travel. I think certain landscapes never entirely leave us.
And your singing out “The Land of Cloudless Day” while reading delighted me enormously. We absolutely would make room for a Lady Baritone. Your story of Leah’s second birthday and the beautiful blonde stereo cabinet moved me deeply as well. What lovely and living memories these are.
Now I must leave you to your chicken casserole and those tempting Chinese leftovers, both of which sound infinitely comforting on a cloudy afternoon. I confess the tray bake idea sounds absolutely marvellous. There are few things more restorative than warm food shared at the end of a long day.
Thank you again, dear J, for your steadfast friendship and your kind and sweet words. Your presence here has long been one of the great kindnesses of this little corner of the world, and you must know that part of my heart lives there with you as well.