“Not for the proud
man apart/From the raging moon I write/On these spindrift pages/Nor for the
towering dead/With their nightingales and psalms/But for the lovers, their
arms/Round for the griefs of the ages/Who pay no praise or wages/Nor heed my
craft or art.” Dylan Thomas, In my craft or sullen art.
May has always felt like a turning of the soul’s own season – not quite the brilliance of high summer, but not the reticent hush of spring either. It is the interlude and the moment in between like gulls balancing on a salt wind; wings outstretched, neither landing nor rising, only feeling the air.
The cherry
blossoms are stirring and their petals loosen one by one, drifting and spinning
slowly in the air, delicate as breath, weightless as memory.
In the hush of May, I watch them fall – not with sorrow but with reverence. Because in their fading, there is beauty as if they have made peace with impermanence. In their falling, there is grace. Each descent is a dance, each landing is a kind of poetry written on the earth.
This stretch of coast draws the vintage car rally each May. The visitors arrive – not with blare or fanfare, but with a kind of elegance that feels half-remembered, like something from a story your grandmother once told.
The ladies wear silk scarves knotted under their chins, the fabric catching the breeze like the sails of small boats. The men stroll along nonchalantly in double-breasted navy blazers.
These visitors too are drawn to this place, returning each year to this weatherworn edge of land. Perhaps they come for more than the view. They, like me, are pilgrims of a sort – drawn to this coastline for its memory. For the feeling that time, here, can be folded softly – like a scarf tucked into a coat pocket – into something carried.
For just as May is not yet summer, not
still spring, so too do these visitors seem suspended between eras. A little
timeless, a little lost. Perhaps, we are all drawn here by the same
undercurrent: a longing for what endures. Here, by the sea, even the past finds
room to rest.
It is Friday. The wind, southerly and mild, presses in from the water, carrying with it the smell of kelp and salt and something older still that lives beneath the tide lines. There are days when I believe a person is more akin to a tide: always returning, never quite the same, shaped and reshaped by the memories and the winds of experience.
Friday, of all days, is the one on which I allow myself to ebb. To wash back into older selves, quieter rhythms.
The fisherfolk here know the power of such a day. Friday holds a certain gravity here. The fishermen abide by their unspoken customs. No new venture, no new garment, no tool not yet worn by use. Even to wear a new coat might call forth the sea’s wrath.
It was a Friday, my fisherman friend told me, when he had forgotten himself in the early light, begun mending his net with a new blade and it slipped. “The sea doesn’t like new things on a Friday,” he said, showing me the scar like a relic.
And so Friday becomes for me not a superstition but a sacrament. A day when I, too, resist new beginnings, and seek instead the familiar – old books, tried-and-tested old-fashioned recipes, melodies from songs that have worn grooves into memory.
Here, in this quiet place, I am learning to measure my life by the depth of breath, by the kindness of slow mornings, by the comfort of being unseen and unjudged.
In the kitchen, G is preparing lobster rolls. The lobsters were a gift from my fisherman friend. They came this morning, still cool from the sea, handed to me by my fisherman friend. He said to me with a grin: “You can’t get any fresher than this…they were still arguing about politics on the seabed an hour ago.”
G. prepares our lunch with a certain quiet joy, the kind that comes only in kitchens by the sea, when the ingredients carry not just flavour but story.
He is playing his favourite singer, Don
Williams whose baritone voice is like weathered oak, warm and unwavering. The
song is called Infinity, and its words drift through the open kitchen door as I sit
among the flowers in the garden, book in hand, tea cooling at the table. The lyrics
are soft like the fading sea mist: “if you know how strong my love is…then you’ll know
what infinity is.”
My fisherman friend plays the same record each week – Freeborn Man by Ewan MacColl with Peggy Seegar, on his portable music player just loud enough to be heard above the breeze. I have grown to expect it, even to welcome it.
There is something
in the music – rough-grained and deeply felt – that seems to echo this weather-beaten
place by the sea. The refrain from Dirty Old Town (a duet – a wistful
version with Peggy Seegar) always catches in the sea breeze just as I arrive:
“I smelled the spring on the smoky wind…” It reminds me of the city I have left
behind: its charred speed and motion.
I found myself recalling Evening Primrose – the little-seen Sondheim piece, half musical, half fable, based on a short story by John Collier. I watched it once years ago, but it has stayed with me in strange, persistent ways. A poet retreats from the world and hides away in a department store, only to find it is already inhabited by others like him – people who have slipped out of life and now live in its shadows, cloaked in night time.
Among them, he finds a girl, Ella, who longs to remember what it is
to live in the daylight. She longs for the sensations of life she has lost. There is a moment – a song – “I Remember” where she
tries to summon memories of a world lost to her: the feel of rain, the scent of
grass, the sound of bees. She has lived so long in this world of kindred ghosts
of escape, bond together by their chosen exile that the real world comes to her
only in glimpses, scents, and sensations.
There is a Greek word that came to me while I listened again to her song – Aletheia. It is often translated as “truth”, but the meaning beneath is older and it comes from Lethe, the river of forgetfulness that flows through the underworld in Greek myth.
Souls who drank from Lethe would forget their lives, their sorrows,
their names – their very selves. A-letheia, then, means
“not-forgetting”. Truth, in this ancient sense, is not about facts. It is what
we remember, or rather, what refuses to be erased and forgotten.
I am reading The Memory Police by Yoko Ogawa, a haunting dream of a novel. Its setting – an island where things – objects, concepts, and even memories – are forgotten not by accident but decree. One day it might be birds, the next it could be calendars, or roses, or photographs. When something vanishes, the island’s inhabitants lost not just the item, but the memory of it altogether. What is forgotten is forbidden, and what is remembered becomes dangerous.
Overseeing this
strange, quiet erasure is the Memory Police – a shadowy, authoritarian force
tasked with ensuring that nothing remains of the disappeared. They move like
ghosts through the streets, searching for contraband memory, for those who
resist the forgetting. Resistance, in this world, means remembering.
Ogawa's prose is memerising, spare and dreamlike. It carries the melancholy gentleness that dissolves into its own chilling atmosphere, like the petals of a flower that once had a name, now vanished. By reading this novel, I am reminded of how fragile our tether to memory is and how easily the world we know slips from grasp when we cease to name it.
I wonder if that is
what I seek when I return to this coastal village – recollections. Some small
piece of myself that has not yet been swept into Lethe’s current. The world
asks us to forget constantly – forget slowness, forget tenderness, forget the
subtle textures of real experience. Forgetting becomes survival.
So, I begin to
recall. I remember how it feels to be human – not efficient, not constant, but
alive in fragments. If Lethe is the river that would wash us clean of our own
identities, then writing is perhaps the slender boat that carries us back –
towards memory, towards identity, towards light that does not blind but gently
reveals.
The retreat is soft. The re-entry is brutal. There is a price to restoration: one becomes too aware, too sensitive to the sharp edges of the world. But perhaps this, too, is living – not to dwell entirely in solitude, nor wholly in society, but to pass between them with aletheia (not-forgetting) as compass.
To remember even
when forgetting is easier. And so I continue to write, to quote Dylan Thomas’s
words, “on these spindrift pages”. I recall what I must. I honour what I cannot
bear to forget.
The swallows have returned to their nests beneath the eaves. There is no embellishment in the way they fly. No agenda. No spectacle. Just instinct, and the call of home.
My days
pass in slowness, but not idleness. There is a secret labour in stillness, a
kind of tending to what has been bruised within. I read the same few pages of
the books that I always return to.
Sometimes I write my journal – not to speak to others, but to myself. It is the internal dialogue I can bear. There is a kindness in the act, a soft contradiction to the uncharitable voice within me that so often sows discouragement.
Dylan Thomas understood something similar when he wrote of his “craft or sullen art”. I had to look up the etymology the word “sullen”. It comes from the Latin solus ‘alone’, ‘sullen’ means not only morose but also solitary, emphasising that the poet’s task is essentially companionless, without the rewards and comforts of society.
In this poem, Thomas said he wrote not for “the proud man apart from
the raging moon”, not for the “towering dead with their nightingales,” but for
the “lovers…who pays no praise or wages.” That line has stayed with me. It
reminds me that the creative work is often quiet – is not for applause. It is
often lonely.
But it is not without communion. I write to remember. Perhaps that is why I return here to this blog, season after season – to recover something that I may have forgotten. I think it may be the better part of me, the more human part, trying gently to lead me back towards the centre. "Look," it says. "Pay attention. And the world, though bruised, is still beautiful. It is still offering itself in spite of everything. A petal from the cherry blossoms clinging to a branch in the wind."
The truth is we do not need more strategic or
quantified plans. We need more mornings with poetry, that kind that opens our
eyes gently, that reminds us we are porous, impressionable, still capable of
awe. More cups of tea held with both hands. More honesty in the face of each
other’s quiet griefs. More refusal to perform when silence would suffice.
And so I think of
Ella from Evening Primrose again. Not as a fictional creature but as a companion in the work of
remembering. Like Ella, I find myself naming the small things to which I wish
to tether my soul. Her yearning is mine. Her ache to live in the daylight, to
touch the world again, to risk being hurt by it rather than remain untouched in
the sterile darkness – it is the same choice I find myself confronting each
time I come back here and begin, again, the slow turning back towards the
world.
How do I go back?
How do I leave this place of ritual and tide and birdsong, and re-enter a world
that measures worth by speed and endless metrics of productivity. The truth is,
I am not sure I know how.
But the tide will
take something of me with it, as it always does. And perhaps, if I am lucky, it
will return something else in its place – some strength for re-entry. Some
quiet fragment of the sea I can carry, still pulsing, into the noise.
And if I ever do speak of this season, this time by the sea, I will say only this: that it was in the little house by the sea, that I returned to myself in the last soft days of May, and there I remembered – not all at once, but slowly – how it felt to be wholly alive, and wholly mine.

HAPPY CUSP OF JUNE!! QUICK FLASHES OF SUMPTUOUS COLOURS AND SHAPES AND LUXURIOUS DAYS OF SUNSHINE TO YOU!! I cheated and scrimmmmed very fast just to get to Hello, and moire non. Headed to the vinyl to find Don Williams for an afternoon treat. "Lord, I Hope This Day is Good!"
ReplyDeleteMy dear R,
DeleteHappy cusp of June to you too! I hope you are doing well and soaking in the sunny days that this beautiful time of year brings. I'm really looking forward to the June days ahead especially as a June baby myself. There's something extra special about it for me, with my birthday just around the corner. It always feels like a gentle celebration of light, love and warmth.
How wonderful to hear that you're also a fan of Don Williams! His music is truly heart-warming and enduring. G absolutely loves him as well - esp. his soothing voice. One of Don's last albums is a regular on our speakers when we are driving in the car in the countryside, and G listens to the song "Infinity" all the time. It's such a tender and heartfelt piece.
And thank you truly from the bottom of my heart for taking a moment out of your day to come by and say hello. I know how busy and full life can be, so it means even more to me that you carved out a little time to reach out. It brought a smile to my face when I saw your name.
Wishing you a beautiful day filled with good music, sunshine, and joy.
Another coffee-drenched scroll-down---the incomparable of scenes I love so much, pictures blurred in my rush to get to the WORDS! Those paragraphs of such eloquent silence that they capture wind, scent, sun, sea, and the very sun or mist on the hair of your arms, or a gull's grating greeting, just in the characters. I'm tellin' you NOW!!! Soak up that old Southern phrase and realize the depth and measure of your words---never before so capturing, or so realized---whatever Muse set your pen alive today is in a fever of creation. I'm just to the album cover, and don't remember a photo above, somehow, but I stood right there when the knife slipped, and the Friday-hex took aim. I have to go away for a bit, and return when I can absorb another pleat in this tapestry of flavor. Too much, and rush would cloud the view. Oh. My. You've absolutely outdone yourself this time---what a lovely gift this Spring morning---and another skein to unwrap when I return. DAYUM. Go sit down.
ReplyDeleteDearest R,
DeleteI can’t tell you how much your message meant to me. I’d been away from the computer for a few days, and when I finally sat down to catch up, there it was—your comment, waiting like a gentle blessing and encouragement. I read it slowly, then again, and felt genuinely moved. Coming from someone whose writing I so deeply respect, your words truly brightened my day.
It’s humbling to think that something I wrote could land with that kind of resonance. I couldn’t ask for a kinder, more generous response.
Thank you, truly, for giving your time and attention so freely—for reading with such care, and for responding with such warmth and thoughtfulness. It means more than I can say.
With my deepest gratitude, ASD
My dear friend, only a few words to show you I am "still here". I look at your beautiful decorated tables (how many tea cloth do you own?) and feel invited into paradise.
ReplyDeleteI am back from Berlin, arriving yesterday in the village, and more and more convinced of my decision to leave Berlin and grow a few roots here.
Difficult: to decide which books have to go, which furniture and so on, and so on. I will let my heart decide (and shed a few tears) - to reduce the interior of 187 square meters (with 4m high ceilings, stucco, beautiful old doors, elevator, marble and, and, and - a rented apartment in a beautiful quarter in Berlin) to 87 rented squares meters (a building with 5 apartments not only without charme but also floors and ceilings done by someone who, if I´m polite, would be called aestheticly blind on both eyes. Built in 1969, and Son, who is 2,02m tall can see the ceiling (ugly "sort of" mock-wood) very near. For three years I looked around to find something nicer in the village: no way. Not one single offer for flats to rent.
BUT: a extremely beautiful view through a huge window or from my balcony, added: the vicinity of my family - and nature around.
What makes the decision so difficult: I have no pecuniary stress. I don't have to leave. So why do it?
I think about balance, one point in life to be (I myself am difficult enough), the desire to use my beautiful things I have in Berlin - here I filled the 3 rooms with quite ok furniture, but: "quite ok" says it all, it will have to go ...
Reducing, letting go - I think I will try. It will give me more time. Time e.g. for traveling more, reading more (and commenting :-) , so: though I still have not given notice to quit in Berlin, I am "on the way". (Hundreds of other people in Berlin will rejoice..)
I hope I do rejoice too when I finally not only have made my decision but also have moved...
My best wishes to you - and your blog is my inspiration! Britta
Dearest Britta,
DeleteYour message touched me more deeply than I can easily put into words—thank you for taking the time to share where you are in your heart and in your journey.
You remind me, yet again, that the deepest decisions of the soul are rarely simple—and that they carry with them a tender weight.
What a magnificent place you are planning to leave behind in Berlin—with all its history, of layered days, of magnificent ceilings and graceful doors, of memories held within the richness of old architectural bones, echoing like quiet scenes from a Bergman film - full of light and and elegance, and the hush of lives deeply lived. And yet, here you are, earnestly listening to the quieter call of pastures new, in the peaceful embrace of the countryside, drawn by the nearness of family and the steadying rhythm of nature.
These are no small considerations. And they take courage.
It is hard to let go of things, especially books. I find it’s the books that resist the most. Each spine holds a remembered moment, a learning, a lens—how can we let go of our own evolution? As a lifelong learner, I admit I’ve stood for long minutes with a book in hand, unable to decide whether it was meant to leave or stay. So I commiserate with you fully. But I believe your Buddhist heart will guide you true when the time comes, gently showing you what still serves and what may find a new life elsewhere.
As for me—well, I suppose I’m a bit of a failed Buddhist. I love things far too much to pass any serious ascetic test. I used to joke that I’d be fine letting go of attachment if I could just keep my linens, old quilts, and Irish damasks. Some of these treasures came from charity shops and church jumble sales—heaven-sent, I always thought, though I suspect the heavens had other intentions entirely. But truly, I’ve always been a collector—not for show, but because I was, in some quiet way, gathering the makings of a home I hadn’t yet found. Home, for me, became a kind of sanctuary—a place to retreat from the harsher edges of the world, and a space where my inner child could come out to play, imaginative and unafraid, making beauty for no reason other than joy.
I grew up without a real place of belonging, so I stitched one together from lace and flannel and the faint scent of lavender soap. This village is the first place where I’ve felt entirely, inexplicably, happy. And maybe that’s why I write about it so much—it’s my prayer of gratitude.
So you see, you’re not alone. Not in your quandary, nor in the quiet ache of transformation. You have every good reason to consider this move—what greater richness than being near those you love, hearing your grandchildren’s laughter, waking to birdsong instead of city noise? Maybe this vision of closeness, of a life lived more slowly in rhythm with the seasons, will give you the strength to part with some of those once-precious things. Not all. Just enough to make space for something new to bloom.
Whatever you decide, please know that I’m thinking of you, cheering for you quietly, and always grateful for your words. I’ll be here—on the page, in the seasons, and in spirit—listening and learning from your journey.
Warmest and most heartfelt wishes, ASD
Dear ASD,
DeleteThank you so much for your empathy, and thinking through my problematic decision, and your time which you gave me as a present!
I appreciate that very, very much!
Although I love many insights from Buddhism, I am not a Buddhist. As you, I love things - very, very much. I described them in my more than 140 diaries - which I will carry into the small flat, even if they need a whole cupboard...
Buddhists do not accept the idea of "hope" - but I am/was a (hobby) gardener and I know no gardener who could work without hope.
As to books I might cheat: I have the chance to put those I am not absolutely sure about 'keeping or not' into book boxes and store those (same as some furniture that is too big for the flat) in the attic of my house in Hildesheim - it is a beautiful house, built in 1902, the flats resembling the Berlin flat - but I do have reasons why I will not live there anymore.
As you I do love my books - and so John Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress," or Samuel Richardson's 4 thick beautiful volumes "Pamela, or Virtue Rewarded" - all of them I read from beginning to end with much pleasure - will have to go to Hildesheim - if I want to read them a second time, haha, you might see me rambling on the attic (makes me think of the lunatic in Jean Rhys' "Wide Sargasso Sea" and Charlotte Brontes "Jane Eyre" , both books will , as many books that are Soul Friends, accompany me, come what may - but difficult it gets when I glance at 4 wonderful heavy volumes by Gertrude Jekyll (which I read, in English) and I think: "Gardener's Testament" is enough - the other three go to Hildesheim.
Same with the china: my Spode will accompany me to Bavaria, and little vases etc etc.
The task to decide which is indispensable (for me) and which is only nice to have I see as an interesting lesson - and if I make a mistake and miss a book very, very much - you will see me rumbling in the attic again.
In my life I moved 17 times - I am now ardent to find a place to stay. And watch my gorgeous triplet granddaughters grow up. And feel happy in nature - which I enjoy every day in the three years since I fluctuate between Berlin and Bavaria as home places. And Munich is near.
Though I still feel young I have to accept getting older - and if I decide to move (it is still a little "if", but scales are moving towards Bavaria), I can jump into a train and visit my friends and our state capital Berlin. But I will also have time to jump into a train and visit friends in Hamburg (where I lived 8 years - a wonderful city!!), or go on a plane (as on Whitsuntide when I visit the Flying Dutchman in the Netherlands).
I hope having a little less of things to have to care for will give me more time to spend, and deeper valuation for what I have.
Thank you again, dear friend (and I mean it with all my heart!), Britta
Dear ASD, Your post is a beautiful tribute to the change of seasons. Best to you and G and the gorgeous Philomena.
ReplyDeleteMy dear E, I smiled when I saw your sweet words. I hope you and Mercy are both doing well, with joys both large and small and quiet comforts.
DeleteI'm working on a new post about summer and hope to share it with you soon. G, Philo, and I are all well, making the most of the Scottish summer. Your friendship continues to mean so much - not just today, but through all the seasons past.