June is the month of expectation – of weddings, of warmth, of golden days tinged with the memory of things half-remembered. The scent of lilacs has long faded, and the light, diffused and lingering, stirs the heart.
Here, in this northern place, the sky
remains low; the air holds its breath. Each day is edged with a chill that
lingers even as the light lengthens. Where warmth was longed for, only damp
silence answers. And yet, I do not lament its absence. I find solace in the
restraint.
There is a certain mercy in the gentleness of such weather. The roses in my garden love this kind of Scottish weather. The sky neither blazes nor storms; it simply waits. And in that waiting, I find a mirror.
My own spirit, having passed through the noise
and bustle of spring, welcomes the stillness. After a long spring – a season
made harsher by the frantic rhythm of the city – I feel hollowed out, as though
stripped of a necessary layer. I long for rest. I ache, quietly, for healing.
I find Samuel Johnson’s bold statement: “When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life” perplexing. But perhaps it is not the city itself that exhausts me but its cold, extractive grip: a presence that does not cradle but consumes, reducing the soul to function and the body to a vessel of unceasing labour.
There is no room there for gentleness, no shelter for the slow-beating heart. Urgency rules; softness is erased. I begin to suspect I am not weary of any one place, but of a kind of life made only for endurance, and never for peace.
“O thou lord of life,
send my roots rain.”
It has been raining outside while I write this journal entry. And yet, I do not mind the rain. The wetness suits me now, and it feels almost medicinal. I think of Gerard Manley Hopkins’ line: “O thou lord of life, send my roots rain.”
The words come like a prayer
for sustenance. What I crave now is not more radiance; I have had enough of
glare and clamour, but water. Water – not in its plain form, but as Hopkins
knew it: a symbol, a supplication. A slow, sustaining gift that seeps into
parched roots.
I think of roots – buried, unseen – reaching not for sun, but for water. They do not ask for glory. They ask only for enough: enough to go on. That is where I find myself. It is not a plea for rapture, for fiery transformation. It is something quieter, more inward. A supplication. Let me be watered. Let something cool find its way to where I am hidden, to where I am frayed.
It is difficult thing,
sometimes, to know what one needs. The world shouts of ambition, of triumph.
But I have found, in quieter hours, that the soul does not always hunger for
greatness. It asks, humbly, to be met with gentleness. It asks for rest. For
silence. For water.
A Coastal Summer: Time
to Root and Breathe
I begin to imagine
the summer I long for – a coastal summer, quiet and unstructured. A summer ungoverned
by the tyranny of hours but gently ordered by the slow, persuasive turning of
the tides, as if the day had learned to breathe in their rhythm.
In this vision, I sit on my deck chair with a book resting idly in my hands. G. brings me elderflower lemonade, humming a tune beneath his breath. The salt air mingles with the scent of ‘Boscobel’ roses – my beloveds of all roses from David Austin, blooming in their soft pink blush. All is still but alive. The horizon glimmers.
| ‘Boscobel’ roses – my beloveds of all roses from David Austin, blooming in their soft pink blush. Boscobel roses are a birthday gift from G. |
This is the kind of coastal summer I dream of: a time spent in the embrace of familiar things and new discoveries, where art, music, food, and conversation flow as naturally as the tide itself. It is a summer where the past and present mingle, where the weather may be temperamental but the heart is steady, content in the knowledge that some moments are too precious to rush.
I long for that soft, endless
feeling of a coastal summer, when the days stretch into one another, and the
world outside seems distant, held at bay by the gentle, timeless rhythm of the
sea.
| My summer reading |
“I intend that my
last work shall be a cookbook composed of memories and desires…”
|
~ Alexandre Dumas,
1869 ~ |
In such hours, I return to W. S. Di Piero’s writings on art. He
writes of painting with a poet’s perception. Where others disassemble art into
parts – context, influence, movement – Di Piero attends to what is seen and
felt. He asks the reader to see, not only what is painted, but how it lives.
![]() |
Image credit: W. S.
Di Piero - Poet, Art & Literary Critic. Photographer: Christine
Krikliwy.
Theories may be useful – but they rarely teach one how to see. What I admire most about Di Piero’s writing is that there is something wonderfully humanistic in his approach to art. His essays are reflections, not expositions. He walks alongside the artwork (I am captivated by his writing on Giorgio Morandi), allowing it to reveal its secret slowly, piece by piece.
He writes with a cultured ease that brings you into the work rather than pushing you through it. It is, in a sense, a kind of humanism, where the art is treated not as an object to be dissected, but as a living, breathing entity, one with which are invited to share our thoughts and reflections. Di Piero reminds me that the act of truly looking, like the act of truly living, cannot be rushed.
So too does Sarah Leah Chase’s books evoke this gentle way of living. Every summer, I find myself returning to the pages of Nantucket Open House, Sarah Leah Chase’s quiet testament to coastal living.
It is a cookbook – but I have never been drawn to
it solely for its recipes. Rather, it
offers a glimpse into a world shaped not merely by ingredients, but by memory,
by place, and by the subtle art of human connection. There is, in Chase’s
writing, a warmth that transcends instruction – a sense that food, like all
true expressions of art, lives and breathes through the hands that prepare it
and the lives that surround it.
There is something quietly radical in such a philosophy: to treat food not as a task, but as a gathering point for spirit and imagination. Her recipes do not simply instruct – they recall. Her abiding philosophy is: “Cooking is like love – it should be entered into with abandon or not at all.”
It is a book that speaks to me and in doing so, it becomes more than a guide – it becomes a companion. G., ever the steady presence in our kitchen, approaches the book differently. He reads Chase’s step-by-step instructions with quiet attentiveness, noting each measure, each method, as if collecting tools for a new season.
This summer, G. says, he would like to cook ‘Lobster Frittata’ (page 94) from the book.
And while I am
drawn to the recollections, to the stories nestled between recipes, G. is drawn
to the act itself: the preparation, the cooking, the offering. Between us,
perhaps, the book finds it fullest expression.
Birthday Journal : June in the Highlands
There is a rhythm to these grey June days that suits reflection. The calendar marks my birthday. This year, G took me to Douneside for my birthday. Douneside is a country house hotel in Tarland tucked among the Scottish Highlands.
The car hummed through
the hills as Rachel Portman’s score for The Cider House Rule played
gently – its melodies echoing the emerald folds of the landscape. The Highlands
opened before us like an ancient lullaby. Peace settled upon me long before we
arrived.
At Douneside, the
world fell away. The clocks seemed to stop. The food was not simply served, but
offered – each dish a quiet act of grace. It is a place apart, where the
world’s urgency cannot follow. There, I felt something in me begin to soften.
To be nourished so, in both body and spirit, is a rare gift.
| Cornus kousa 'Miss Satomi' |
The Weight of an Anchor, The Shape of a Father
Back in the village, life resumed with its quiet peculiarities. The harbour master – equal parts raconteur and philosopher – remains one of the village’s constants. His manner is steeped in that old Scottish Presbyterian gravity – a solemn acceptance of life’s hardships, tempered by a wit as dry as the moorland air.
One afternoon, as I sat quietly in the garden, book forgotten on my lap, he approached with that steady, unhurried gait of a man accustomed to the weight of both sea and sermon.
We had spoken before, though never deeply, and always with the mutual understanding of two men who preferred the company of absence to that of demands. He is, I knew, a man who had quietly turned away from the entanglement of family; not in bitterness, but in resignation.
There is no self-pity in him – only a gentle displacement. He is rooted in who he is, like an anchor long set in the harbour it has learned to call home.
There is in him a steadiness – a controlled composure – and a manner of speaking that spares no softness where none is needed.
He reminds me of my father – a keen sailor, though not a fisherman, who measured affection in instruction, and sentiment in skill. Teaching you a new practical skill was his love language.
My father rarely spoke of feelings, but he would show you how to trim a sail for wind, or how to read the sky by light and pressure. If a line was poorly coiled or a halyard slack, his correction came swift, sometimes sharp. But his intention, always, was to leave you better prepared.
Love, for him, lived in the precision of action. The sail must be mended without flaw; the rigging made tight before nightfall. He never said I love you, but he taught me what he knew, and believed that should suffice. “Let’s get this done right” – that was his gentlest refrain.
I did not know how to read it then. It felt, in childhood, like rebuke. In later years, I came to see it as a kind of care – dry, spare, and composed. His composure is his shield, and his language of love is instruction.
The harbour master, too, is full of instructions. He shows you the angle of approach, the tension a rope ought to hold, the art of waiting for the tide rather than fighting it. He cannot help but teach. Perhaps it is the only language in which he knows how to add value — not through praise, but through practicality. He believes, I think, that if he leaves you knowing something you did not before, he has kept his part of the bargain.
He is not always gentle about it. If a fellow’s work is slack, or thoughtless, or simply beneath the standard he holds, he will say so — and not always delicately. But behind the bluntness there is a strange integrity, and something like care — not for your feelings, but for the work you might yet be capable of.
And yet — at sea, he loosens. Among the anonymous travellers aboard the cruise ship he boards each summer, he can breathe more easily. He may speak, if he wishes, or vanish entirely without apology. No one expects him to explain himself. He belongs to no one, and in that, he is freer than he would be in any gathering of kin.
No one asks why he travels alone, or what he has left behind. He becomes, for a time, untethered — and in that unmooring, he finds not loss, but reprieve. And that, he believes, is a kind of grace.
On that afternoon, before he turned to go – as he always did, unhurriedly, with no sense of obligation to linger – he paused beside me. He said to me, very softly, as though confessing something fragile, “You know, I packed a pale cotton dress for my cruise.”
I turned to him, uncertain whether I had misheard. But he was not smiling. Only when he added, “Just in case,” did a glint appear in his eyes – not mockery, but something quietly subversive. “If the ship goes down,” he said, “I’ll slip into the dress, become Charlotte, and take my chances with the lifeboats. Women and children first.”
Then, with a pause that made the absurdity almost tender, he added, “It’s ankle-length – spares me the bother of shaving my legs.”
And it was this, more than anything, that undid me. That such a sentence could be uttered with complete composure, with the same evenness one might use to comment on weather or the tide. The remark hovered in the air, ridiculous and strangely touching, like a paper boat set adrift with careful hands.
I blinked. He did not laugh. He said it so evenly, so devoid of drama, that for a moment I believed it wholly practical. And perhaps it was. Beneath the humour was a defiance, soft-spoken but firm – the kind that insists, even at the edge of disaster, on some claim of choice. A name, a disguise, a story quickly stitched together: the means by which he would step sideways from fate and greet it on his own terms.
I smiled – not at the thought of him in such a garment (though the image remained, strangely vivid), but at what it meant. There was something deeply human in it – that quiet, ridiculous plan he had. A pale cotton dress, ankle-length, folded with care into the corner of a suitcase. What a strange thing it was – and how perfectly it suited him. A joke, maybe, but also a gesture of self-preservation.
He vanished soon after, to some errand unknown, his departure as unceremonious as his entrance. But I stayed where I was, held not by the oddness of his words, but by what lay beneath them.
Some, when faced with the unkindness of the world, learn to slip behind a mask – not to mislead, but to survive. They turn sorrow into jest, solitude into theatre, and in those small, strange performances, offer not deceit, but a tender kind of truth – one too fragile to stand unguarded.
And perhaps it is through such quiet disguises - measured, deliberate – that the soul, long at odds with the world, allows itself to be glimpsed. Not through confession, but through the careful art of concealment.
Parting Thoughts
Later that evening, as the light grew long and trembled on the walls, I returned to the dream of that coastal summer. It came not as recollection, but as presence. The house was there, just as it had always been: salt-streaked windows, the scent of sun-warmed stone and seaweed curling through the open door.
Verdi played – Lucia Aliberti’s voice rising like sea air through the rooms – not imagined, not remembered, but heard, as it had been when my grandfather set the record spinning, always near dusk, always with the same quiet care. He never spoke over Verdi’s music. He would stand by the window, hands clasped behind his back, letting the music fill the space where conversation might otherwise have faltered.
From the kitchen now, Dawn Upshaw’s voice slipped in – singing Rodgers & Hart with that soft, wistful longing – and Gordon hummed along beneath her, anchoring the tune with his low, companionable sound. Their voices folded into the air, not interrupting the dream, but becoming part of it.
Outside, the sky had softened
to pewter, and the first rain had begun to fall – the kind that dapples the
stone before darkening it completely. I watched as the garden drank it in.
Roots hidden beneath the earth stirred, drew breath, reached further down.
This, I thought, was June at its most honest – not in its exuberance, but in
its depth. Not in blossom, but in root. Not in the blaze of noon, but in the
quiet, persistent work of water meeting earth.
And as the garden
drank, the music lingered, and the voices in the kitchen carried on – light,
untroubled – I felt the old words surface, not summoned, but arriving of their
own accord, as natural as breath: O Thou Lord of life, send my roots rain.
| G's homemade desserts: vanilla panna cotta with a fresh strawberry topping & Banoffee Pie - both for our deckside potluck supper where we were asked to bring our favourite desserts to the feasting. |




Happy Birthday! Enjoy your beautiful roses and the lovely meals from G. You seem to understand your father. Did he come to understand you? Such a situation can be painful, at least for a time. I faced similar, completed as ongoing unkind remarks by my mother, among other things. In adulthood, I accepted myself and began to understand her limitations. That removed the sting of memories for me. Hoping you have a peaceful summer.
ReplyDeleteMy dear E,
DeleteThank you so much for your heartfelt words. Your question — Did he come to understand you? — found me in a reflective hour, and I’ve carried it gently in my thoughts ever since.
No, I do not think my father ever came to know me in the way a parent sometimes does — in that rare way of seeing past one’s own design for a child and into the soul of who they are. His love was given through action, through instruction, through the quiet pride he placed in my competence rather than my character. He lived by the rule of outward skill, of usefulness, of firm footing — and I often felt myself standing on different ground.
There was nothing cruel in him, only a kind of withholding shaped by his own inheritance. His idea of manhood was a conservative, emotionally restrained masculinity.
Still, it would be untrue to say there was no turmoil between us. Ours was not a smooth sea, but a quiet storm — the kind that never breaks into violence, yet unsettles the air for years. There were no raised voices, no great breach to mark the distance between us. But there was the steady strain of misunderstanding, the pressure of all that went unsaid. I sometimes wonder what might have passed between us had there been a safe harbour for such things — a space wide enough and gentle enough to hold the words we never dared to speak. The conversation I longed for was not dramatic, only honest — a quiet sitting together, soul to soul, without judgment.
But perhaps that container — that safety — was never going to be found between us. Perhaps it was meant to be found elsewhere, and indeed, I have come to believe I carry it now within me. In the pages of my journal, in the movement of pen across paper, in the hush of a morning spent in solitude in my garden, I have begun to build that sanctuary. In my creativity, I find the dialogue I missed — the fathering I needed, spoken in my own voice. There, I tend to the child in me with care and curiosity. There, I listen as I wish he might have listened. And in doing so, the storm has quieted. Not because all is healed, but because I no longer ask the sea to be still. I have learned to sail in it differently.
Many years ago, I encountered "The Return of the Prodigal Son" by Henri Nouwen. His reflections opened a door I hadn’t known was closed. Nouwen spoke not just of returning home to others, but of returning home to oneself — of learning to offer the very kindness we once longed to receive. That was the turning for me. Not an epiphany, but a slow, spiritual shift and healing. I saw that I could become the father I had hoped to find — not to replace him, but to complete what had been incomplete. To hold my own heart in mercy and say: Even this — even you — are worthy of love.
And that, too, has helped me see my father in a new light. What he gave was imperfect, yet it was what he knew. What he lacked was not a failure of affection, but of formation. That understanding does not erase the silence between us, but it sanctifies it — makes it a place where something tender and enduring may still grow.
You wrote of your mother with a clarity that moved me. The pain you described — "the sting of memories" — and yet tempered in adulthood by the wisdom of acceptance. That you came to see her limits not as your own deficiency, but hers, is no small grace. It is the quiet labour of the soul - the gradual softening that happens when anger yields to understanding. I hear in your words not defeat, but hard-won serenity.
I hope you carry that peace with you this summer — not as armor, but as a quiet assurance, a presence that steadies you from within and reminds you that you are already held, already known.
And thank you, too, for your kind birthday wishes.
May peace continue to rise in you like light in a forest: softly, reverently, leaf by leaf. And may you be met, in each quiet hour, by the presence of a love deeper than understanding — a love that sees you, holds you, and calls you whole.
Your lovely response and thoughtful reading brought tears to my eyes...Thank you and may you too have peace.
DeleteHappy Birthday, my dear friend!
ReplyDeleteAnd all my good wishes, and it isn't too late to send you some of my favourite roses from my Bavarian balcony: "Gertrude Jekyll", and the scent will envelope your delicate dinner in the open air with G.
From the Berlin balcony "Augusta Luise" will enter and the Bourbon rose "Souvenir de la Malmaison" - this trio transports all the joy I wish you!
I just came back from the Netherlands, it was a beautiful vacation.
I will read your text when I have unpacked - the wonderful photos were already a feast for the eyes.
And while I skimmed your text, seduction lured to buy new books - at the same time as I try to reduce those many books in Berlin before moving - "Zwei Seelen wohnen, ach, in meiner Brust" as Johann Wolfgang von Goethe wrote - " Two souls, alas! are dwelling in my breast!"
My best wishes for a beautiful new year before you! Britta
My dear B,
DeleteWhat a joy it was to find your message—an unexpected bouquet of words and warmth. Your birthday wishes, carried on the fragrant parchment of “Gertrude Jekyll,” “Augusta Luise,” and “Souvenir de la Malmaison,” felt like a letter pressed with petals—gracious, timeless, and full of sunlight. I could almost smell their perfume lifting in the late afternoon sun, drifting from your balconies in Bavaria and Berlin like a memory.
There’s something eternal in old roses. G and I admire the David Austin blooms, but it is those rare, heirloom roses, the kind one discovers tucked into the corners of ancient walled gardens or gathered at the quiet, early morning plant sales of National Trust properties, that truly stir the soul. These are roses with ancestry, blooming from cuttings passed down by knowing hands. Sadly, such moments of discovery are growing rare; the numbers of dedicated volunteers, once the gentle guardians of these plants, have thinned since the world shifted in recent years especially after the pandemic.
I'm so glad to hear your holiday in the Netherlands was beautiful. I’ve long dreamed of visiting—for the paintings, yes, but also for the hush of their mornings, the quiet drift of water through their cities. One day, I long to stand before "The View of Delft" in the Mauritshuis, the very painting Proust called “the most beautiful in the world.” I can imagine the stillness of that moment—a hush between centuries.
I hope you found time to rest, to let the light settle back into your bones. Travel, when it’s kind, restores the rhythm between the body and the soul.
And as for your remark about books—two souls indeed. One urges order, the other presses on towards the next unread spine. Don’t worry about reading my piece too quickly. Let the summer speak. Let the windows stay open and the pages on my post can wait.
After all, books never truly gather dust; they wait, patient as a tree, until we’re ready to climb into their shade again. To love books is to always be arriving somewhere new—and to be wholly at home in the getting there. I'd like to think that you would agree with me on this sentiment.
With my sincere gratitude, ASD