“You are as prone
to love, as the sun is to shine.” ~ Thomas Traherne, Centuries ~
A moment of peace has begun as soon as one is being allowed to slip away from turbulence and clamour of discord into the depth of the country. What a relief it is to know that one is now so far away from the echoes of life and tinklings of the world.
How nice it is to be released from all the trappings that held one in place! Finally,
I am coming home as a lost soul. I shall not have to think about that grey and
stony place at least for a few days. How nice it is to be wonder-struck
again like a child who is under the spell of a wonderful story!
The desire to flee from the hustle of life washes over all of us. A retreat to my home in the country is just what I need and what I most yearn for. I know that my eyes and heart will be wide open to the beauty in everyday life again. I shall recite the favourite lines from a poem to calm me: "Peace is here and in every season/a quiet beauty.../amid these green and wordless patterns, -/indefinite texture of blade and leaf". Anne Spencer ~ (1882-1975) ~
I shall shut myself up in my little sanctuary with books, art, music and friends. When it comes to the time to go back out into the world, I am hopeful that I will be clear-sighted and soothed by the memories that it has been so beautiful.
I brought back home some refreshing eucalyptus scent for the rooms in the house. While I was on the bus, I remembered the main character in the novel, Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively. Her name is Claudia and she is transported by the smell of eucalyptus leaves in post-war Cairo.
She is reawakened by ‘wonder that nothing is ever lost, that
everything can be retrieved, that a lifetime is not linear but instant. That,
inside the head, everything happens at once’.
| Philomena - I shall always find peaceful moments in her presence. |
Tomorrow, I hope that the first thing that would greet me when I wake up will be the glorious sun. I shall feel raised up and blessed by the sight of its radiance. Does it not sound hopeful?
I am looking forward to my harvest dinner with my friends who recently retired. There will be a double celebration of both retirement and harvest.
Before they come, I will fill every corner of the house with autumn decorations to honour the season so that there is no room for a chill of disappointment.
| I listen to soothing piano music of Danny Wright while I decorate... |
![]() |
| ...and Blossom Dearie's album, Winchester in Apple Blossom Time, is one of my all time favourites for listening at this time of the year. |
After decorating for our annual harvest dinner, I am going to sit down and enjoy the company of Henry James in the library.
A prolonged dose of Henry James and a
meditative reading of his prose is just what I need as a solace for my soul.
His exquisite prose, a kind of stubborn refusal to come to the point with a
short sentence, is a refreshing change from the world of soundbites.
‘The weather changed, the stubborn storm
yielded, and the autumn sunshine, baffled for many days, but now hot and almost
vindictive, came into its own again and, with an almost audible paean, a suffusion
of bright sound that was one with the bright colour, took large possession.
Venice glowed and plashed and called and chimed again; the air was like a clap
of hands, and the scattered pinks, yellows, blues, sea-greens, were like a
hanging-out of vivid stuffs, a laying down of fine carpets.”
~ Henry James, The Wings of the Dove,
1903 ~
Autumn Memories
Autumn returns to
us. It is the season of departure. The geese begin to migrate above the sky.
All the tourists who came to this seaside village for taking the waters and
refreshing sea air, unimpressed by the sober background, have disappeared
overnight.
The flowers that had brought me into daily contact with the grandeur of nature said goodbye for a while.
According to the
metaphysical poet, George Herbert (1593-1633) who peered at life through the
lens of metaphors, the flowers have gone underground “to see their
mother-root…where they together,/ all hard weather,/Dead to the world, keep
house unknown.”
The slant of October sunlight does not have loftiness or nobility against a grey sky. It is a maturing sun that puts us into a state of silence and reverie like a retired Colonel.
When I was a child, I knew a neighbour who was a retired Colonel and read his newspaper in silence. His granddaughter was my favourite playmate.
I
remember the way he mournfully stared at his cup, antique China, exquisitely
etched in gold pattern, while he waited for his tea in the morning room. The
rooms were decorated with red paisley pattern wallpaper.
During my visit to
the retired Colonel’s house, I would observe the intricate details of the
wallpaper with beautifully intertwining gilt flowers, arches and swirls of
arabesques, each more beautiful than the last.
Ruskin talked about his childhood in his extraordinary autobiography, ‘Praeterita’ (1885) when he became mesmerised by the patterns in the carpet in his home, Brunswick Square in Bloomsbury and he was happy to spend hours looking at it. For Ruskin, a lifetime of learning to see began with a carpet.
The atmosphere of the retired Colonel’s house was like
a Quaker meeting house. As a precocious child, I was incredibly talkative when
I played with his granddaughter. One day, he paused from reading his papers and
looked at me through his black-rimmed spectacles with his severe expression and
said: “Speak only when it can improve the silence.”
I shall never
forget his words. But at that time, I was young and not clever enough to
understand what he meant. I thought how absurd the retired Colonel was and I
made a solemn promise to myself that I will not be like that when I am old.
It takes some time to
arrive at the stage of maturity. But now I love his wise expression so much.
Autumn Discovery
Autumn is never monotonous in this part of the world where I live. It can be extremely volatile. One has to go along with the weather by accepting and adapting to its variations.
There were calm days
with warm sunshine, highlighting all the hues of autumn’s gold with a delicate
brush and enveloping the countryside with the air of crispness. Gordon and I
drove out into the countryside for we were also lured by the golden light.
On one fine day, we followed the zigzag roads into the glen and lost the satellite signal on the car’s SATNAV. We were most definitely lost and we did not know how to get out from the long and winding country lanes.
And this was how we came across this
beautiful church, gracefully nestled among the mature trees and woodlands,
called St. Palladius Church in the heart of Drumtochty Glen.
I asked Gordon to stop the car because I felt such a rush of appreciation when I saw this magnificent church that I simply must take a closer look. There was no sign of other visitors on that day. The birds were singing and the whole surrounding was so quiet and peaceful.
As I kept looking, I noticed that peaceful solitude of this place slowed down my racing heart.
I decided that this must be a resting place for afflicted souls after
they have been consoled and hushed like babies under the blanket. This place
says to them, “There now. From now on, there shall be no more nightmares.”
As always, my imagination carried me away. But the truth was that there were people shortly before we arrived. It appeared that there was a wedding ceremony inside this church on that morning.
Inside the church, it was still warm and there was a
lingering smell of perfume and candles. There were rose petals and confetti
everywhere on the carpet and on the seats lining the aisles.
I went to the altar to say a short prayer. Oh Lord, what a world it is. It is full of beauty here. Peter said: 'Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you' (Peter 5:7-9). I pray that I shall never lose heart as I shall always find safety and compassion in You.
The news of suffering in various parts of the world did make me feel a little forlorn recently. I wish I had all the answers to solve the problems in the world. But no advice is better than a bland one.
Oh, if only one can come here, even if it
is for a temporary measure, to shut out the parts of the present one does not
like, so that one is reminded by the beauty that lights us up and return to the
world afterwards feeling refreshed, reoriented and a much better sense of what
we need to do.
"Casting all
your care upon him; for he careth for you" (Peter 5:7-9) |
Isn’t it often the case when we are confronted by the oppressive forces, we have to dim our own lights to survive? But the poet, Mary Oliver reminds us in one of her poems that we come into the world ‘to be filled with light, and to shine’.
The oppressive
people and their senseless destruction cannot go on forever. When it is all
over, we can all look forward to the radiant days. There will be a day when we look
into our moist uplifted eyes, there will be nothing but iridescent golden light
like Dante’s vision of paradise.
“Black water breaking into reality.”
Near the end of October, we had a terrible,
deadly storm which lasted for nearly two weeks. It brought strong winds and
heavy rain and substantial flooding which caused widespread disruption and a
risk to life in some areas. I did not go out for three weeks. I enjoyed being shut
inside in a cocoon like environment.
I looked at the gale-force winds and waves crashing over the harbour, and the sea was almost black. It was immensely frightening like a bad dream. It reminded me of the line from Wallace Stevens’ poem: “Black water breaking into reality.”
A sudden
realisation breaking in...I have been haunted by the dark, muddy water that washes up on the shores of life from time to time. Life is not always a temple of pure happiness. Et
in Arcadia ego (Death can be found even in Arcadia).
The wind blew in the empty place.
The winter wind blew in an empty place—
There was that difference between the and an,
The difference between himself and no man.
No man that heard a wind in an empty place.
It was time to be himself again, to see
If the place, in spite of its witheredness, was still
Within the difference. He felt curious
Whether the water was black and lashed about
Or whether the ice still covered the lake.
[...]
If, When he looked, the water ran up the air or grew white
Against the edge of the ice, the abstraction would
Be broken and winter would be broken and done.
And being would be being himself again.
Being, becoming seeing and feeling and self.
Black water breaking into reality.
Extracts From Addresses to the Academy of Fine Ideas ~ Wallace Stevens ~
Autumn has given me a chance to share the harvest – not only food and drinks but also collected memories with my dear friends. Perhaps, the legacy of autumn is sharing and listening to each other. I am grateful for letting me ponder things without needing an answer. The older I get, there are more questions than there are answers.
Rilke wrote in his Letters to a Young Poet: ‘I want to beg you…to be patient towards all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves like locked rooms and like books that are written in a very foreign tongue…And the point is, to live everything.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then
gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer.’
So, I decided to live the questions now.
Hopefully, by living all the questions, they will be wiped off from my little slate so that it will have more room for gratitude and love.
Thank you, autumn.


"Life is not always a temple of pure happiness. " - that (and only that) is the reason why I didn't write earlier, dear friend.
ReplyDeleteMy life is good, and I am very thankful - but at the moment the vessel of what I can take in is full (or so it seems to me - though I am coming from a very resilient family: My father survived over 20 days in a lifeboat when their ship was downed - from the six men in the boat five survived, the sixth drank sea water and died - they had only a tarp to collect water over night. He only told us twice about it, and not asking for pity).
Normally I am an optimist - and am still now - but some days are so that I feel like Scarlett O'Hara and long for the next morning.
Your texts and photos are really, really cheering me up, thank you for that.
And as I said: "After all, tomorrow is another day."
No need to answer, please - tomorrow I will be my "old self", I hope.
My dear Britta,
DeleteThank you so much for writing to me such a beautiful message. It is extremely kind of you to think of me and to find time in the middle of the busiest time of the year to drop me a line or two. By the time you receive this message, I very much hope that you are feeling better because it might well be tomorrow when you read this. Here's hoping that your old self will be restored and you might be walking up and down on the sunny side of the street if it is a fine day. Just now I cannot tell you how thankful I am simply to write such encouraging words!
I agree with you that you are blessed with a sunny disposition and it comes out in your choice of words and poems. In contrast, I am the son of Saturn (as in astrology and hence the related adjective saturnine) and melancholia is my middle name. I feel that it does take industrious effort for me to make one's outlook as cheerful as possible and to deliver oneself from self-reproach and doubts. I need to remind myself to cling on being alive as bees clinging on the honey. If I do not, I shall not find a release from Saturn. I do tend to dwell on things and prefer to be on the shady side of things and while doing so, I forget about the fine weather outside. It is a stressful time of the year. Our lives are not like greeting cards. Sometimes, it is too real.
Many thanks for sharing the most incredible story about your father and what a stamina one would need to have to survive such an ordeal.
My thoughts are with you and may a loving angel bring you the delight of fresh days ahead, which are to be filled with nothing but calm, beautiful, joyous, graceful and noble hours.
Dear friend,
ReplyDeletethank you for your kind and deeply felt words! Yes, I am better now, though a bit exhausted - but better.
Interesting what you write about being a "son of Saturn". I am not well-read in astrology, and can only guess which zodiac sign you might have.
My sign seems to be utterly unbelievable to persons who know me: in very different phases of my life two times I had female friends who studied in Switzerland astrology. Both - and that was very bewildering for me - insisted that I must be a Gemini. And once in a train there sat another person who guessed "Gemini".
My answer: No, I am not.
Hopefully they asked: "Then your ascendent will be Gemini?" By chance I know my ascendent - same as my zodiac sign. Ha! (one of that friends sends me stubbornly between May and June a birthday card ! :-)
I believe that you can create those beautiful photos because you feel deeply. Melancholy seems to stretch time, makes one susceptible for nuances.
You see - and feel - how for example the atmosphere of a landscape can be caught - while a very hectic person hurries like the White Rabbit through its surroundings and is not able to watch attentively.
And I see your deep love for beauty - you create that around you, and it might be an antidote to the dark moods of melancholy.
I for example LOVE Baudelaire.
I wanted to comment on the many topics and beautiful photos you present in the post above - but at the moment I have a visitor friend from the Netherlands, so have not so much time. But funny: I found him scribbling a few recipes out of Lee Bailey's"Dinners at Home"! Such a charming book - I gave it to him, so no more scribbling necessary , AND then are all the beautiful arrangements in it to be enjoyed too.
I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
And am so thankful that I found you.
My dear Britta,
ReplyDeleteMany, many thanks for all your sweet words. They mean a lot to me. I'm very grateful to you for taking time to write to me. I hope you and your visitor friend from the Netherlands have a wonderful time together. The story of your friend making a note of Lee Bailey's recipe conjures up homely visions and how generous you are to give the book to your friend, which perfectly matches the spirit of the season. How blessed your friend is to have a thoughtful friend like you. A lovely note from you is like receiving a bunch of graceful spring flowers from the meadows in the middle of bleak winter.
Wishing you and your family a very special Christmas, filled with the presence of peace, love, joy and tender moments.