Sunday, 5 November 2023

Coming soon ~ Black water breaking into reality ~

 


Autumn returns to us. It is the season of departure. The geese begin to migrate above the sky. All the tourists who came to this seaside village for taking the waters and refreshing sea air, unimpressed by the sober background, have disappeared overnight. 











The flowers that had brought me into daily contact with the grandeur of nature said goodbye for a while. 

According to the metaphysical poet, George Herbert (1593-1633) who peered at life through the lens of metaphors, the flowers have gone underground “to see their mother-root…where they together,/ all hard weather,/Dead to the world, keep house unknown.” 



The slant of October sunlight does not have loftiness or nobility against a grey sky. It is a maturing sun that puts us into a state of silence and reverie like a retired Colonel. When I was a child, I knew a neighbour who was a retired Colonel and read his newspaper in silence. I remember the way he mournfully stared at his cup, antique China, exquisitely etched in a gold pattern, while he waited for his tea.

 





As a precocious child, I was incredibly talkative when I went to visit his house. One day, the retired Colonel paused from reading his papers and looked at me through his black-rimmed spectacles with his severe expression and said: “Speak only when it can improve the silence.” 

I shall never forget his words. But at that time, I was young and not clever enough to understand what he meant. I thought how absurd the retired Colonel was and I made a solemn promise to myself that I will not be like him when I am old. 


It takes some time to arrive at the stage of maturity.








Autumn is never monotonous in this part of the world where I live. It can be extremely volatile. One has to go along with the weather by accepting and adapting to its variations. 

We had a terrible, deadly storm which lasted for nearly two weeks. It brought strong winds and heavy rain and substantial flooding which caused widespread disruption and a risk to life in some areas. 

I looked at the gale-force winds and waves crashing over the harbour, and the sea was almost black. It was immensely frightening. It reminded me of the line from Wallace Stevens’ poem: “Black water breaking into reality.”    

 


                                 



The wind blew in the empty place.

The winter wind blew in an empty place— 

There was that difference between the and an,

The difference between himself and no man.

No man that heard a wind in an empty place.

It was time to be himself again, to see

If the place, in spite of its witheredness, was still

Within the difference. He felt curious

Whether the water was black and lashed about

Or whether the ice still covered the lake. 

[...]


'Black water breaking into reality.' 

Extracts From Addresses to the Academy of Fine Ideas ~ Wallace Stevens ~



If, When he looked, the water ran up the air or grew white

Against the edge of the ice, the abstraction would

Be broken and winter would be broken and done.

And being would be being himself again.

Being, becoming seeing and feeling and self.

Black water breaking into reality.



Extracts From Addresses to the Academy of Fine Ideas ~ Wallace Stevens ~

The Collected Poems Of Wallace Stevens

by Alfred A. Knopf, New York (1954) p. 255





2 comments:

  1. All those icy waves and chilling depths cannot sway my steps out into this bright November sunshine---I'm on the way to enrich the coffers of the esteemed ALDI, and spend tomorrow filling pantry shelves with six of beans and six of beets til the colors and cans shine in the light like an edible library. It BRIGHTS me. moire non after the overflowing bags come home. Happy November!! (I wish you the grace of just one Southern Thanksgiving, with the scents of thyme and sage and a sweet tater pie).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear R, Happy November to you too. I'm so delighted to read your most charming message. Nothing conveys thoughtfulness like your message. I hope you are doing well, savouring the late autumn joy and taking a delight in the soft glow of autumn sunshine (the most golden time of the year here in Scotland) and crisp air. I hope you had a successful shopping trip and productive morning. I'm glad to hear that you are also honouring the season in your home interiors.

      Your generous offering of thyme, sage and a sweet tater pie is most gratefully received. My heartfelt thanks to you. In return, might I also wish you an abundance - not just of the material blessings that life brings but also the moments of grace and serenity and joy both large and small when you are least expecting as they tend to be the ones that we end up remembering the most. Happy Thanksgiving (when it comes and all year round), to you and to those you love.

      Delete

Here is a place set apart from the press of days, where those who linger may find, in quiet company, a measure of solace drawn from nature, art, literature, music, and the deeper currents of thought. It means more than I can say that you pause here, not only to read and look, but to leave behind words that turn these solitary reflections into a shared conversation.