Beyond the Blue Horizon
The playwright, Noel Coward once asked a thought-provoking question in a song from the musical titled Sail Away – ‘why do the wrong people travel,/when the right people stay at home?’ He did not explain who the wrong people are in the song. The wrong people he was referring to might be the type of people who ‘go out in the midday sun’ with their mad dogs. Or am I confusing with another Coward’s song?
I
often consider myself that I am one of the wrong people who go out wandering.
Like a vintage bottle of wine, I am not suited for long-distance travel. I
cannot figure out what one could possibly need to pack in a suitcase for a
fortnight holiday.
I admire people who are accomplished in the art of packing , light travelling and arranging the last minute weekend trips to London or Paris. They seem to be well-equipped with an ability to know exactly how many pairs of trousers, shirts and jackets they would need for the duration of their trip.
They
never appear to be in a quandary when it comes to the planning. The eagerness
for adventures outweighs the questions of if one needs an extra cardigan or an
extra jacket to change in the evening if one goes out for an evening meal. Yes,
I admire them.
As far as I am concered, I am happy to settle for something more manageable even if it means I shall never climb Mount Everest one day. I do not mean to say that faraway places do not hold magic and wonder for me. Because they do.
I learn about these exotic places from my love of reading. My wildest dream would be to plan the trip around the marvellous world literature from my desert island books list and tour the homes of the great masters; Proust, Borges, Wharton, James, Hesse etc.
Gordon
provides a solution that I need to travel with a hypnotist so that I am put to
sleep the whole time when I am travelling and only to be woken up when I reach
to the destination.
In the meantime, my life is enriched by travelling to local places that are close to my home. Travelling to close destinations is a fine antidote to the anxiety-provoking pressures of packing, preparation and planning for the long journey.
It only takes a few minutes to pack healthy snacks to eat, CDs and
audio books to listen during the car journey and one is ready for the road. One
feels safe from the knowledge that at the end of the day when the sun is set,
one will return home and sleep on a familiar bed.
Today we are heading out in the car to the fundraising sale at a church. |
One of the great benefits of travelling in a car is that one can take as many comfort breaks as one wishes and one can daydream about the places one drives through and the lives of the inhabitants in passing towns and villages.
Even the dullest-looking farmland in the placid countryside, the dismal Scottish weather with a flurry of rain pattered against the windscreen or the barest outline of a tree in the grey, opaque mist comes alive for me.
Travelling
with Gordon, I have learned to sit back and enjoy the ride and drift to the
unfamiliar, charming and forsaken places.
Gordon would play our favourite Henry Mancini’s song, Two for the Road beautifully sung by Nancy Lamott (from her gorgeous album, My Foolish Heart, released in 1993).
The beautiful lyrics by Leslie Bricusse can
soothe the hearts of not only die-hard romantics but also some anxious wanderers.
I have always loved to read the notices on the shop’s windows when I am travelling and study what people are advertising. This is usually how I come across interesting places, the new local antique shops, farmers’ markets, art and craft fairs, handmade quilts, and jumble sales at the country church.
The desire for a change of scene always takes us on a short journey to the unexplored local places which often brighten monotonous, grey days of the winter.
A jar of homemade preserve always beats shop-bought. I bought a couple of jars of marmalade for Gordon. |
The path
of perfectionism
I have always struggled with seeking for perfection in everything I do. I do not think that I am unique in this category. Most creative people I have met in my life tend to be perfectionists. We are our own worst critics.
We all strive for beauty, the embodiment of high
order and high standard, in our work. But the standard we set for ourselves is
so immense that it extinguishes the flame that sparks our creativity and brings our
ability that is expressive, free and natural to a complete standstill.
Ever since I was young, negative thoughts about my work or performance that did not come up to scratch invaded my creative practice. I learned later than only when we let go of our perfectionism and rules, our creativity happens.
Julia Cameron, the famous author of The
Artist’s Way encourages the creative individuals to 'think mischief more
than mastery'. I suppose that one example would be looking at how children
paint in the nursery. They are passionate, free, natural and expressive because
they are not gripped by perfectionism or a fear of failure.
“Writing is the axe that breaks the frozen
sea within.” ~ Kafka ~
Since this is the beginning of the New Year
and we are on the clean slate, so to speak, I can motivate myself to make some
room for self-improvement and to let go of my perfectionism. My creative practice,
with all its imperfections and omissions, must serve as best it can.
His signature was the brushed forename 'Waistel' in black. If you would like to learn more about his work, please follow this link |
| A few years ago, I purchased this vintage tea set and side dishes of ‘Cotswold’ design from Denby because the warm, earthy colour and texture reminded me of Waistel Cooper’s pottery. |
Nepal is my favourite afternoon tea. A lovely light, sweet and bright
tea. Flowery, highly aromatic and soothing. |
I decided that I do not have to live under the tyrannical laws of perfectionism that govern my dreams of creativity. Instead, I will be gentle to myself and I do not have to walk on the path of perfectionism.
The path of perfection is perilous and it ought to be forbidden to all artists and creative people in the world. The path of progression is better than the path of perfection because it is a kinder, calmer, more tolerant and encouraging path to walk.
Winter in the north east coast of Scotland can be long, bleak and harsh. Lighting
candles and creating an indoor garden can help alleviate the winter blues. |
“…so we'll live,/And pray, and sing, and tell
old tales, and laugh/At gilded butterflies…” William
Shakespeare, King Lear |
Homecoming
Hermann Hesse wrote: “Oh, I would gaze down lovingly at every wanderer who passed my quiet house, I would follow him affectionately, wishing him well, approving because he has chosen a better way than mine, because he is really and truly a guest and pilgrim on earth, instead of playing lord and master like me…"
He continued: "I feel life trembling within me, in my tongue, on the soles of my feet, in my desire or my suffering, I want my soul to be a wandering thing, able to move back into a hundred forms…and if sometime I were to lose these possibilities and be caught in so-called reality, then I would rather die.”
Hermann Hesse, Wandering, pp. 41-42.
Hermann Hesse – Wandering: Notes and Sketches (first published in
German in 1920) capture the author’s wandering spirit as he embarks on a new way of life
close to nature. |
There are many beautiful sentences like these
in this very short book by Hermann Hesse called Wandering. There are
only 91 pages in my English translation of this book which was first published
in 1920 in German. I have got a copy of Wandering in German because I bought it for the colour illustrations of Hermann Hesse's sketches.
Wandering is a collection of Hesse’s
short poems, watercolour drawings and sketches, reflections and meditations on
the beauty of places, on the wonder of nature and on his love for the southern
foothills of the Alps. He moved to live in the village of Montagnola in the
southern Swiss canton of Ticino soon after the end of the First World War.
HERMANN HESSE (1877–1962) was a Nobel Prize-winning German poet and
novelist. One day I would love to visit his home in the village of Montagnola in the southern Swiss canton of Ticino. |
Both poetic and humane in its exploration of
the desire to wander and to escape, of art and its inspiration, the mystery of
natural world and the blurred memories from one’s wandering years make this
book truly compelling and a perfect bedside reading.
“…in
wandering, we don’t look for a goal, we only look for the happiness of
wandering, only the wandering.” Herman Hesse, Wandering, p. 27 |
According to Hesse, there are two types of people – a farmer (the one who stays at home, the one who is “the faithful” and “the virtuous”) and a nomad (the one who searches).
He then goes on to contemplate that he is,
after all, “a nomad and not a farmer, a man who searches and not a man who
keeps.” But Hesse's portrayal of the man who searches has a tinge of melancholy
like the characters in W. G. Sebald's novels because a wanderer could also be
someone who has been exiled from his country, typically because of war, persecution,
or natural disaster.
Silhouette of a sycamore tree in the winter |
Unlike the aimless wanderer described by
Hesse, I have a goal of returning home at the end of the day even if it means
achieving half-goal in one’s journey or forgoing untried experiences.
There is nothing to compare with a feeling of coming home. When I think of home, I think of gratitude, peace and comfort, the open horizon, the sea air to make one feel human and alive again, and the serenity, punctuated by the distant sound of seagull’s cries.
This time of the year, one is rewarded by the
spectacular sunsets for coming back home. After arriving back home, I would rush out to the fields of
cornstalks and stand still in the middle of the fields. I would look around me
with eager curiosity on how Mother Nature paints the surrounding with its shimmering
and swift brushstrokes of colours.
The afterglow often leaves me engulfed in a
haze of the golden light. The sky is ablaze with colours of gemstones or
tropical flowers. This is how I celebrate the moment of coming home. It fills
me with a strange, intoxicating happiness that is like a feeling of relief or a
feeling of deliverance. I no longer care about success or perfection.
Now I belong to myself, my mind, body and soul, unobserved and uninhabited, and all around me is the world of the expected and the familiarity and yet, it is mysterious and sublime in every way. This is where I am able to remain grounded while forging my path in life.
I glimpse in the windows to search for salmon-coloured sunsets… |
Stepping outside of one’s comfort zone and
taking an unknown turning can be a thrilling adventure every now and then. But
there is no place like home. With sunlit windows, salmon-coloured sunsets, a
tabby cat coming out to greet on the garden’s wall and a shepherd who finally
finds his lost sheep on the meadows at twilight, there is nowhere else I would
rather be.
“And now the purple dust of twilight time/Steals across the meadows of
my heart” – the first line of my favourite song, Stardust (Hoagy
Carmichael/Mitchell Parish) |
Another beautiful and thought-provoking post. I am glad you and Gordon continue your adventures. There is nothing amiss about bring close to home provided it is actually that for you. Sadly, some never find that true sense of home. You are fortunate.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your kind words. I hope you are doing well. I count my blessings everyday for being able to call this place my home and a safe harbour. I have never stopped loving it. Since Covid, it has been a constant reminder to me how blessed and fortunate I am for this comfortable little house. Wishing you a joyful weekend. Thank you so much once again for visiting me.
DeleteSurely, and especially in painting, though also in writing and music and more - it is the imperfections, the happenstance, the drips and dribbles of our mediums, that is what makes work greater... That is the difference between the art and craft - one is response to the other a replication of an idea. Food for (imperfect) thought.
ReplyDeleteAnd as for travel, I often think in terms of deep and wide. I'm a deep person, revisiting the same areas time and again, knowing them as well and as fully as I can. Others I know, won't go to the same place twice is their choice is sweeping vista - or it a veneer?
Alain de Botton's book on travel is witty and perceptive - it's key theme is that the best part of travel is the anticipation and thought of it; all the rest is let-down. I don't fully agree, but there is wisdom in there too.
Stay well. M
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. I'm always fascinated to hear your points of view and food for thought is always welcomed.
DeleteThe book you mentioned on travel by Alain de Botton reminded me of a poem by Elizabeth Bishop, "Questions of Travel" (I'm not quite sure if Botton also used these lines in his book but here is the part that I love most):
"'Is it lack of imagination that makes us come
to imagined places, not just stay at home?
Or could Pascal have been not entirely right
about just sitting quietly in one's room?
Continent, city, country, society:
the choice is never wide and never free.
And here, or there... No. Should we have stayed at home,
wherever that may be?'"
I think this quote by Mary Shelley just about sums it up. Don"t you?“I have joined in ambitious hopes, and exulted in victory: now,—shut the door on the world, and build high the wall that is to separate me from the troubled scene enacted within its precincts. Let us live for each other and for happiness; let us seek peace in our dear home, near the inland murmur of streams, and the gracious waving of trees, the beauteous vesture of earth, and sublime pageantry of the skies. Let us leave “life,” that we may live.”
ReplyDelete—from The Last Man (1826), Volume II, Chapter 4
Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful quote. I love to add carefully chosen quotes and phrases in my journal. The more layered the pages became, the more they reflect my recreation of thought and feeling. "The Last Man" by Mary Shelley has been on my reading list for many years. Now that you mentioned it, I hope to add it to my summer reading list for this year.
Delete