Saturday, 12 September 2015

Early Autumn



Autumn! What strange magic is in that word, now that for the first time I write it to you! I wish you could see Scotland at this moment in early autumn – the sea is as smooth as a silver shield. If you look out into the ocean, there is one single fishing boat resting on its surface. The sea gulls wandering freely and tamely about. The rays of sunlight striking through the tree branches with red leaves, all outspread like fans, and the shadowy clouds dragging slowly over the mountain sides. The gardens are purple with Michaelmas daisies, the last roses of summer and poppies, all blowsy petals and washed-out colours, giving out their final flush of colours before they fall asleep under the cloak of mist in the late evening.
A sign of autumn - birds flying south

I simply cannot imagine how time flies, dear Readers. You might be wondering whatever happened to me after I wrote my last post in April. You might think that I went into some kind of spiritual vacuum where one is unreachable and left alone in peace. Or you probably think that I might have been taken ill and I stopped writing my blog.

The truth of the matter is not all of the above I mentioned. Before I go on writing what I have been doing in the recent months, I would like to say thank you so much for your most charming and thoughtful messages and emails that you sent to me during my absence. You have touched me deeply with your friendship and concern. Your kind, precious messages are absolutely blessing to me and I return you a thousand time repeated expressions of fondness and gratitude.


But back to the Practical! One of the major art projects that I wanted to do, unfortunately, fell through at the end of April. I needed a creative outlet, a summer project, to keep me occupied and to get away from the telephone and other forces of life that thrusted upon me. During the last six months I had no leisure except routine domestic distractions both days and nights. A major renovation work took place outside the house so that in the depths of winter, I would not have to be anxious about the rain leaks through many holes and gaps from the roof and the stones.  
Every gap and crack on the walls had to be repaired and repointed

Here the stone has weathered back completely, leaving hollows and large gaps


After the repair
Stone masonry is a work of art (Here is the after shot). It takes effort to make something look effortless and subtle!

After many months of procrastination and turning the blind eye to the infinite fret of the practicalities, I realised that my dear old house (built in 1888) was on its last leg. When the heavy April showers fell, the rain came into the dining room in the middle of one dinner party and the water began to splash away in the bowls which I placed on the table. One of the dinner party guests at the table had audacity to comment when he said: “That looks like a very watery soup!”
The lorry with a huge crane was hired for the delivery of cement mixtures and bricks and then the crane had to lift each bag over the iron gate to set it in place. It brought a surreal and theatrical spectacle into this small village.



I watched the delivery from the dining room's window as I felt too nervous to witness all the chaos during the delivery.


One of the disadvantages of living by the sea is the continual invasion of salt water and salty air that scrapes away the stones, the wrought iron, the paint and the metal, little by little until, to use Dr. Johnson’s words, the rust of the soul (“Sorrow is the mere rust of the soul”) and the corrosion of the materials that I possess is revealed to me. So, during the summer months, a new roof had been installed and all the gaps between the stones had been filled, repaired and repointed.
 

Needless to say that the house was inundated with the workmen and the contractors. My main occupation was to keep calm and make many cups of tea and serve them with biscuits (the workmen were particularly keen on Oreo biscuits). My voice became hoarse after many months of shouting to one another instead of conversing with one another in this tumult of the place with the sound of hammering and sawing.   

 
But in the evening, when everyone finished and went home, I would have a few hours to myself before bedtime. The summer evenings in Scotland are long and the light would be softened and amber coloured glow and I would go out to catch the sunset. I saw the church spire from the next village in the distance, as “slender as the willow-wand” (Tolkien), the golden fields spread out before me, my whole being in a whirl, and the green hills far greener than I could ever imagine; Mother Nature doing her part to maintain and instil optimism into me.    




Although the house is very old, I am still very fond of it. Fond of its quirks and characters but I came to realise that maintaining a house has a further drain on one’s meagre resources. Some of the imperfections will now have to stay as they are. In spite of all these challenges and limitations, the art of housekeeping can be a speedy attainment if one is willing to keep persevere. There were days when I stood in the middle of all the chaotic sights, sounds, movements, counter movements and all this commotion I experienced as if one was in wild torch-savage-dance, I kept hearing the words that the gallant soldiers might say to their wives and girlfriends when they are about to part: ‘Courage, Dearie, only for a month!”  

 

8 comments:

  1. Hello from Toronto. Happy to see you back. Your photographs are beautiful, as usual. With older houses maintenance is an ongoing occupation, and never ends. The workmanship on your walls is really well done. We have just relocated to a smaller city after 30 years in one house....... Quite a change. Lots of work to be done ! We enjoy the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jCan you hear the music from here???!! It's to accompany my silly dance as I see YOU'RE BACK!

    Haven't thoroughly read the post, but wanted to say I've certainly missed you and all your adventures and wonderful settings and events. Just ran in to check my mail for last minute changes by guests, for tomorrow's little party to unveil my NEW PINK KITCHEN!! It's been exactly as long in the making as you've been away---we started end of March, and now she's ready for company.

    It was a long time in the planning and coveting and wishing, ever since that night many decades ago when I stealthily painted the kitchen walls of my dollhouse with my Mother's bottle of pink nail polish.

    Moire non, after all the guests have come and gone, and I can give due diligence and attention to this great project of your own. I WILL mention, however, that though we had no thin-soup occasions, we DID have water coming in, and I'll trade you several bowls of Scotch Broth and three bowls of Mulligatawny for all these wet carpets and feet we've had for several years.

    Best and WELCOME BACK!!

    r

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh.my.dear...

    What a lot of work you've been through...I hope you can find some respite in this season. It is good to know nothing untoward happened to you. I hope you can enjoy your autumnal soirees with no added water in the soup. Best always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back, ASD. I am so glad that nothing bad happened to you. I even searched the internet trying to find out what happened to you. I really look forward to your posts.

    Owning a home definitely comes with lots of financial and emotional expenses. However, as you so beautifully said, it is still one's home and a joy to be in.

    I hope that you will find a lot of peace there, as it is so beautiful. Welcome back!

    Best wishes, George

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear George,

      This is really kind of you. I'm very flattered by your message. Thank you so much. I decided that I would like to make the most of the summer which is very brief if one lives in the most northerly places. That is why I made a pause posting my blog here. All is well and I am very touched by your concern.

      I've met a group of the most charming friends and readers on here ever since I started writing this blog. I'm always glad to hear from you and I hope to see you again soon.

      Warm wishes, ASD

      Delete
  5. For many months I have been derelict in my blog reading duty and only recently noticed how silent you have been. Had me worried. So glad to see you back among us. I don't envy your house issues but it sounds like you have them well at hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Thomas,

      Hello. This is such a pleasant surprise to see your comment. I hope you are doing well. I've got a great deal to catch up with your marvellous blog too. I absolutely love your new blog and its stylish design. I've been meaning to tell you something about the novelist, Anita Brookner and I hope to deliver this message soon in your new blog.

      Thank you once again for your kind words, Thomas. I hope everything is going well with you. Keep up with all the good works!

      Best wishes, ASD

      Delete
  6. My dearest ASD,
    A warm welcome back to the land of blogging. I have missed you and thought of you. You sound calm and serene despite all the hammering, re-pointing, tea making and no doubt major dust to be cleaned up daily. It is being and no doubt you will be cozy and warm this winter.
    Looking at the images you posted I can see how your love your old house and living by the sea. Enjoy your weekend.

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete

Here is a place set apart from the press of days, where those who linger may find, in quiet company, a measure of solace drawn from nature, art, literature, music, and the deeper currents of thought. It means more than I can say that you pause here, not only to read and look, but to leave behind words that turn these solitary reflections into a shared conversation.