Monday, 6 April 2015

Spring Awakening




In Scotland, the early spring feels invariably like winter. Far away in the valley and the mountain, the winds rave, gales rage and rains lash down and whirl up powdery sleet. The ground is as cold as ice. There will be severe frosts in the early morning waiting to snub and pinch the tender, green shoots with their icy fingers. The young leaves will be put to sleep with frosty kiss of death until the sunlight pours on them with mild intensity to wake them up again.  The sodden earth is freshly turned over and ready for the sowing. It has the colour of deep mahogany and the scent of which curls into my nostrils when the breeze stirs. The wood smoke from the chimneys is redolent, nostalgic and slightly melancholy.

The awakening dawn (4:00 AM)


'Peace and quiet...and open air'

© Photography by ASD

After a sleepless night, I rose to watch the dawn between three and four o’ clock from my window this morning. I went out for a walk and the countryside looked disarmingly optimistic. There was a peaceful stillness and hallowing tranquility except the birds, the messengers of the day, were singing, hopping and bobbing on the trees which were laden with morning dews. Even this time of the year, some of the trees were still bare and skeleton. They reminded me of old, arthritic hands ready to hold back the dawn.

Pink Camellia, my favourite colour, in my garden
 
The clouds were like alabaster in the windless sky. There were snowdrops and primroses, delicate and shy, hiding among mosses and green ivy.  The stream was swollen with rain overnight and the current from the stream was fringed with seaweeds, which were clinging to bits of rock.  As I gazed from the edge of the village, I saw a net of vapour from the sea rolled into the village without any warning. The sea mist prowled and scanned the whole village with its hooded eyes like a predator and ready to snap off every living creature with a vindictive fury of dead impersonal force. The trees shivered and shrank beneath the sea haar (mist).


Wild Primroses, hiding among dripping mosses and dry branches 
 
6:00 AM. All the trees and their branches seemed to be caught under a net of sea mist. The birds who had been chirping from their nests since the darkness of the dawn were now hushed.  






Next to the country lane, there were branches and twigs twisting and turning, clustered in a jungle, odorous with aromatic herbs. The branches were laden with new buds, glistening with transparent masses of dew-drops like a myriad of twinkling stars on a frosty night.


The multitudinous stars

Unchanging galaxies and glimmering constellations


No sound of human step or car or rustling tree disturbed the silence

Empty, weather-beaten birdfeeder. Birds have begun to nest and even hatched a first brood, only to see them perish over a weekend of bitter frost.  
 
Butterflies taking refuge in my house. It's too horrible for them to go out to play among the flowers. They look down upon me as I read my papers.



Two butterflies, one represents spring and the other summer. They are playing a game of romance and showing off their bright colourful wings to lure ethereal suitors and lock in the fatalistic embrace.

 
I bought the newspaper from the village shop and came home to have my breakfast. In my dining room, the temperature was warm enough to foster every kind of butterflies, flapping their wings and showing off their colours to lure ethereal suitors, near the windows. I decided to stay indoors and listen to the low voice of birds and watch the magnificent swoop and twitter of the swallow. But no windows were opened, no echoes were heard and no spirits set free...

The swallows arrive in huge numbers. They are soaring high and circling and diving for food all the time. They are not natural musicians. They have the indescribable mournful squall, slightly out of tune when they sing. Half melodies, half tone-deaf - music without harmony.
On a clear day, I adore watching the sailing boat from my window.

If it is a foggy day outside and you can't see the sea, there is always a boat inside the house to look at. This is my boy doll, Thomas, sitting on my bookcase, with his antique boat.
 
When it is too dank and dismal to go outside, one has to entertain oneself with reading books, drinking endless cups of tea or listening to one's old music box on the sofa. I love musical automata and music boxes (especially the antique ones, made in Switzerland and France by Fabrique De Geneve, c. 1870, which come in the most exquisitely designed case). The tune from the music box reminds me of a gentler time.
 



9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post. Thanks so much for sharing these photos! I hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest ASD,
    Your photographs and words beautifully illustrate your home and neighbourhood. Wild primroses delight the heart and their faint fragrance speaks of spring time.
    "The morning breeze has secrets to reveal; do not go back to sleep "(Rumi). We have benefitted greatly by your early morning walk and sunrise images.
    Wishing you the joy of Eastertide.

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very lovely, this vibrant, evocative letter to elusive Spring. Even sans the gorgeous photos,I could see and small the flowers simply through your words---hear the mourn of the swallows, the susssssh of the sea, feel that too-cold mist upon my face. And then the warmth of your house to conservatory status, with your flowers and butterflies as pets, like a Summer's day.

    This was simply wonderful, and meeting your Thomas was splendid, though I DO miss Raconteur Ratty atop the bookcase with the little radio, in his magnificent vest and tweeds. And the music box so adds to the charm---pray, is the index of tunes printed or written in that lovely old-fashioned hand? That would be, as my simple, country-bred Mammaw used to say, "Too much sugar for a dime."

    Thank you for sharing this many-seasoned post with me---I went to the Kitchen Store in T-shirt and SHORTS! just now. Cannot believe it's finally here.

    Picked paint colour, faucet, sink today. Cabinets and countertop and hood are already arranged for. Finalize Wed., start next week. Oh, the rich and strange trove which awaits me as i clean out the old cabinets. I'll find dishes I'd forgotten, something I've been looking for for ages, and a brick of petrified sugar, I expect. Hope there's never a bug.

    Best from WAY OVER HERE!!

    r

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest ASD,

    How wonderfully you capture, in images and words, this springtime which, personified, remains a fickle mistress, tempting here, rebutting there. But such a magical time, and to borrow from Browning, 'Oh, to be in England, now that April's there', is surely confirmation, if ever it was needed, of how lovely this season is, and possibly loveliest of all in the British Isles.

    What particularly excites about this post is your attention to detail, your close observation of both the natural and physical world as you experience it. Please believe us when we say that all that you write and show here translates across the miles so that we too share in the joy of these special moments.

    On a completely different subject, how good of you to make mention of the Francis Bacon exhibition currently at the Sainsbury Centre in Norwich. We are planning to be back in Norwich before long and will most certainly go to see this [we had little time on our last visit other than to move into the house], something to which we shall much look forward. Indeed, this very much ties in with our discovering so many links, particularly in painting, between the Dutch Old Masters and the Norwich School of Painting. All so very interesting. More on that subject anon! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear ASD how I loved your post today.....your writing was magical and the photographs just perfectly illustrated everything! I wish wish I was in Scotland too. I love how the mist rolls in cloaking the coutryside mysteriously. How wonderful are your butterflies, such fantastic colours, for the first time I noticed the tiny spots of mauve at the tips of their wings.
    I do hope you were not in pain and that being the reason for your sleeplessness, although it must have been lovely to be up from your bed and see that wonderful sunrise!

    Hugs, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello ASD, I have just rediscovered your wonderful blog. I don't think I've thought once about sea haar since leaving Scotland but you've just reminded me how beautiful and mysterious it is with your photos. Must make a trip back up there soon.

    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A warm, Sunny Hope-It's-Spring good morning from way over here in the Heartland. We're still at sixes and sevens with this CLUTTER attendant on getting that new Kitchen. Unloading cabinets and cupboards, for the demo men come on Saturday, the cabinets are en route, and I'm fielding calls from painters and plumbers as we speak..

    We've built only one house, and I'd forgotten what great arrangements must be attended to.

    Hope you're warm and well, and walking in SUNSHINE!

    r

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest ASD,
    I hope this finds you well and enjoying summer in your beautiful magical corner of Scotland.
    Thinking about you and wanted to stop and say Hi and I miss your writing.
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear ASD,

    I hope this finds you well and enjoying a lovely summer in your corner of the world. I echo Helen's sentiments above and would enjoy hearing how you've been.

    ReplyDelete

Here is a place set apart from the press of days, where those who linger may find, in quiet company, a measure of solace drawn from nature, art, literature, music, and the deeper currents of thought. It means more than I can say that you pause here, not only to read and look, but to leave behind words that turn these solitary reflections into a shared conversation.