THE VISCOUNT LAMBTON (ITALY) - Photography by Derry Moore
"Let me explain: there are two kinds of houses, one in which only men live and one in which a woman and children share…no drawing room in any house other than a bachelor’s can be said to be man’s room, because women have an effective way of dealing with suggestions. They agree with you then do what they want, so what a man thinks is his room is often not, but he is allowed to pretend it is. Nevertheless, there is one room, especially in English households, where men are able to have their way without much contention and that is the library, where books are the predominant feature and the allies of the male occupant, joining him in opposing change." ~ The Viscount Lambton

SIMON BLOW (LONDON) - Photography by Derry Moore
"Home, after all, is where we should draw our strength. Though as life goes on, it is increasingly the place where we recuperate. In the happenings of the larger world beyond there seems to be a delight in distress and uncertainty which I cannot share. Protection among the things that I know and love has become required security. And this is why I like to keep my own surroundings well in sight. In my room, which is my home, I know that I have at least been able to do that. " ~ Simon Blow
* It is interesting to note that the Viscount Lambton's idea of masculine space in the interior reflects the similar concept mentioned in the early Victorian publication entitled, The Gentleman’s House, first published in 1864, Robert Kerr noted that the drawing room should be ‘entirely ladylike’. In contrast, the dining room, for instance, can be viewed as a masculine space, to be decorated in dark colours and sombre oak. The oak dining room (often imitation Tudor) was linked to masculine Englishness, the ornate drawing room (often Louis Quinze) associated with French femininity.
** Simon Blow's essay in the book also makes an interesting reference to his literary hero, des Esseintes from the novel, A Rebours (1884) by the fin-de-siècle writer Joris-Karl Huysmans.
Taken from The Englishman's room / edited by Alvilde Lees-Milne ; photographs by Derry Moore, Topsfield MA : Salem House Publishers; 1st Edition. edition (1986) p. 23 & 83
Ah! I adore these rooms and the book- I've had it for a while now- found it on Abebooks.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the Count: you can't have too many books!
I'm much more at home in a library than in a "frilly" feminine space...
ReplyDeleteVoiceTalk - I'm glad to hear that you know this book. It's an amazing book (filled with colour photos and essays from each man!). It really captures (with thanks to a keen, artistic pair of Derry Moore's eyes) the idiosyncrasies and personalities of each man!!
ReplyDeleteE - my dear, I couldn't agree with you more. I think a room without books is like a blind man. I usually unpack my books first when I move house.
I so agree, we all need our own room, man, women, and children.
ReplyDeleteIt should be a sanctuary, without too many outside influences. I wish we all had that space to withdraw, to dream, doodle, read, listen to wind or music.
For me there must be books. And visual beauty.
I know many people, they just want to be alone once in a while.
To have a room of one's own...
This post ties in nicely with your thoughts on home and what it stands for that you wrote about in your lovely letter. I am so sorry to be behind with our correspondence and my blog visits.
ReplyDeleteI seem to be going through 'a bit of a phase' of just being unable to sit quietly and concentrate. You are still high up on the pedestal however of like-minded kindred spirits. Never change my lovely friend.
J
x
Victoria- I think having a room of one's own definitely has a lot of advantages. Don't you often love coming back to a quiet house after a hard day at work? I do. I usually put on Jackie Gleason and Bobby Hackett music on the stereo and relax for 20 minutes before I open my letters.
ReplyDeleteFF: my dear, thank you so much. Your kind words and comments are very much appreciated. I don't blame you for not being able to concentrate at the moment. You have got a very busy job and looking after your lovely bichons and at the same time, blogging - it's too much really. If only we live a bit closer, we could talk about our lives over a dinner! Love xxx
Brilliant. Thanks for this.
ReplyDelete