Wednesday, 29 September 2010

A Romance With A Writing Table




'I had always wanted a nice writing table and had to make do for years with a cheap pine bureau bookcase I had bought in the country; luckily, about three or four years ago, I happened to pass a shop window in my car on my way home from work and saw what I had been looking for - a Louis XVI cylinder bureau with brass inlay on a marble top with brass gallery. I had a sleepless night wondering whether I should throw discretion to the winds and buy it but I did, and it has given me pleasure every time I write at it, albeit paying unpleasant bills. Above it, I have hung a modern oil painting of a canal in northern England which reminds me of the many happy holidays I have spent on the English canals'.


* Can you see a metaphor here in finding a nice piece of furniture is as hard as finding a true love in life? It either pleases you right away or not. But when it feels right, the pleasure and charm are endless.
Taken from Elizabeth Winn's A London Flat, from The Englishwoman's House by Alvilda Lees-Milne and Derry Moore (Hardcover - Oct, 1984), Salem House Publication, p.148.

3 comments:

  1. Another wonderful book for my expanding list...

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A book I would like to stick my nose in...
    Ah, a writing desk of ones own...
    After years of fighting for my own little work space in our house I now have a rather simple desk, from where all (blog) post gets written, bills are paid, money is spend (online books)... There is nothing nicer then a stylish place to reside over one's life, other then perhaps a comfortable reading chair or bed, which
    awaits... but I digress!
    Today I bought finally a desk chair, something rather unusual, but after my back has been acting up over the last months, I decided on a ergonomic kneeling chair.
    Well, you've seduced me to write more then I thought I would... have a splendid weekend, dearest ASD!
    PS: Come visit the new blog, see both sides...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I miss sitting at my father's art deco bureau that we have at the French house. My letters are usually written at this beautiful piece of furniture. Nowadays I sit at a spare table my m-i-l gave us to bring to the rental house.

    I do miss my lovely things though.

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Here is a place set apart from the press of days, where those who linger may find, in quiet company, a measure of solace drawn from nature, art, literature, music, and the deeper currents of thought. It means more than I can say that you pause here, not only to read and look, but to leave behind words that turn these solitary reflections into a shared conversation.