Monday, 22 December 2025

The Spirit of Christmas: May Love and Joy Come to You

 

December has long held my allegiance, perhaps because it also legitimises the inward life, the homeward pull and the nesting instinct. It confers dignity upon small domestic acts. Lamps are lit earlier. In winter, the tending of a home assumes a symbolic weight.












In the kitchen, G has been baking for days. The house carries the scent of spice and butter, a fragrance inseparable from recollection. The three-tier stand is already generously laden with mince pies, scones, and small cakes. 

Christmas with Eddy Arnold (1962) remains one of G’s most cherished records. It has accompanied the decorating of Christmas trees since his parents’ early years together, playing faithfully in their sitting room. To hear it now is to feel that continuity of domestic ritual and his family's Christmas tradition carried forward.


This evening, G prepares for the Christmas Eve supper while Eddy Arnold’s first Christmas album plays softly. 


Clementines have been set aside for stockings. Tea waits, as though confident it will be needed. Nothing is rushed. The house appears to understand the pace required of it.

 



Christmas Thyme at Oak Hill Farm by Marge Clark is a source of pure nostalgia and lasting inspiration. Its pages continue to guide crafts, recipes, and decorations, year after year at Christmas. 







As I move from room to room, making small adjustments, a ribbon here, a light there, I find myself returned to the first Christmas I spent in this village by the sea. I had arrived only recently then, carrying with me a mixture of uncertainty and resolve. 


Snow fell during the night before Christmas, and by morning the harbour lay hushed beneath its covering. Rooflines softened; familiar outlines were briefly altered into something more tentative, more gracious. It felt like a wordless welcome extended by the place itself.

 


This village understands the rituals of Christmas. Its celebrations are communal, shaped by shared effort and long acquaintance. Carollers’ teas, Christmas Eve suppers, the lighting of the village tree while mulled wine drifts from the hall, these moments are not isolated festivities, but continuations of a common life. 



Craft fairs lend brightness to the darker afternoons, and country inns, dressed for the season, release music and laughter into the cold air. There is mirth here, and whimsy, but it is always tempered by neighbourliness. 

 



The excursions of the season possess their own imaginative pleasure. Farm shops and village stalls offer trees shaped by wind and weather, and ornaments, handmade and singular, bear the character of the local artisans who shaped them.

Wreaths dense with berry and leaf are chosen with care; stockings knitted in wool are set by the fireplace; wrapping papers are selected for their design and colour, and the sentiment they carry, meant to elate the recipient before the gift is revealed.

Chocolate, Swiss if possible, is set aside for the simple pleasure of being melted into a drink that offers warmth against the long winter evening. Spices are gathered for baking, scones rise in the oven, and the rooms fill with an aroma of home, stirring the instinct to nest, to linger, to welcome and be welcomed. The air grows layered with the scent of evergreen, eucalyptus, citrus, cinnamon, and frankincense, a perfume so particular to Christmas that it seems capable of calling memory into the present.





Sound, too, becomes a form of romance. Music enters the house as naturally as candlelight. The choral lines of Clare College, shaped with luminous restraint by John Rutter, lend the season its lifted gravity. Strings swell and recede under Jackie Gleason’s luxuriant baton, wrapping the room in velvet warmth.

In the early hours of Christmas Eve, when the last ornaments have been set upon the tree and the final gifts carefully wrapped, George Skaroulis’s solo piano from Season Traditions speaks in tender, unhurried phrases. Its music drifts through the rooms, companioning the quiet completion of the evening’s labours, perfectly attuned to the reflective mood that winter evenings bring.

Bells sound softly. Carols return. Familiar melodies, rendered anew by memory and presence, stir the heart, and I find myself willingly surrendered to their enchantment.




I do not resist the season’s encouragement towards generosity. I delight in preparing abundant tables and in gathering loved ones for meals that unfold without haste. There is pleasure in this sanctioned abundance, in the romance of hospitality made tangible. 

Yet beneath the candlelight and music lies the deeper truth Christmas offers. It reminds me that romance, in its finest sense, is a sustained attentiveness to love. 

How changed the year might feel if we carried this attentiveness forward, if the care we practice in December were extended, patiently and imaginatively, from one Christmas to the next.






Before the house is fully adorned, G and I keep to one particular observance that has grown essential to us. Each year, we visit the local Christmas craft fair, still persuaded that the most meaningful gifts are those shaped by human hands and deliberate care. 

We avoid the city and its crowds, preferring instead the measured pace of village halls and country shops. Farnell’s small boutique remains a familiar destination for our annual Christmas outing.




At the fair, abundance reveals itself through the art of country craft. 

Bright, assured colours sit comfortably beside earthy, homespun textures, each object shaped by traditions handed down from one generation to the next, like well-kept recipes, preserved within families and sustained through use, memory, and time.

Wreaths and biscuit tins, soaps and woollen hats, jars of jam glowing like preserved summer, each object bears the evidence of time given willingly. Parents linger over hand-carved ornaments while children play among the geese in the nearby field. The air carries both cold and good cheer, and neither feels intrusive.

 



As the afternoon gives way to dusk, the fair closes with a moment that always seems to exceed expectation. 

A bagpiper steps forward from the edge of the wood, his music reaching into the hearts of those assembled, evoking tender recollections of Christmases past.


People pause instinctively, cups of mulled cider warming their hands, cheeks marked by cold and conversation. Sheep call for their supper in the neighbouring field. 

The rain, mercifully, often holds back. It is not merely an ending, but a sealing of the day. Christmas, in that moment, feels unmistakably begun.

 







This year, the weather offers no promise of snow. A white Christmas is not anticipated, and the harbour will likely remain dark and wet rather than hushed and pale. 

We will be hosting, nonetheless. Two dear friends will come on Christmas Eve after carols, and another couple will join us on Christmas Day. The house will be full, the table well attended. Yet I find myself wanting to summon the atmosphere of that first winter by the sea.

 



















For inspiration, I look outward. The sea provides it daily. The colourful floats tied to the boats, the weathered eloquence of flotsam and jetsam drawn ashore by the tides, objects shaped patiently by water and time. 

These elements find their way indoors now, translated into forms that speak humbly of place, where comfort is abundant and hospitality is sincere. A world enclosed, if only for a while, in its own clear stillness.

 










There will be candlelight enough to soften every face that gathers here. Flowers will be arranged informally. Dinner will be served on the best china, tea poured from polished silver. 

Candles will burn low as voices rise, and we will allow ourselves the luxury of time. Contentment, I have learned, favours such unhurried conditions. When evening comes, and the last plate is cleared, a cup of tea by candlelight will be more than sufficient.










Yet Christmas does not confine itself to comfort or beauty alone. Beneath the brightness and the familiar sounds lies space for remembrance. 

There are always those who will not stand again at the door, laughing, or take their accustomed place at the table. Their absence is felt with particular clarity at this season. 

And yet, belief in the continuity of love offers its own form of consolation. Love, once known, does not relinquish its claim. It alters the manner of its presence, withdrawing from outward display into a more interior and sustaining force.























To give the table a sense of winter light, I chose these handblown Murano glass candleholders, fitted not with the candle but with soft, battery-lit twinkle lights. Their shimmer calls to mind icicles suspended from snowy roofs and gables, and allows me, in some small measure, to reimagine the magic of that first white Christmas I knew here in the village, many years ago.

 



These luminous forms rest among objects of a more rustic character: regional antiques, cut-glass decanters, crystal stemware, local pottery, and modest examples of folk art, gathered together through the unifying textures of fine table linen and lace. 




These cyanotypes by Anna Atkins, published by Princeton Architectural Press, serve as place cards at the table, each bearing the name of a dear friend. Their botanical delicacy feels particularly suited to the season, and they also become a Christmas card of sorts, something beautiful for guests to take home and keep, long after the evening has passed.






As the season draws on, there will be warmth in some houses and sorrow in others. There will be absence as well as abundance. Yet beneath these variations runs a continuity that I have come to trust. Love persists, even when altered by loss or time. Hope, though sometimes muted, continues its work beyond notice.

 


These notecards celebrating great writers offer a thoughtful Christmas gift and perfectly suited to a stocking or a carefully chosen parcel.







If I allow myself a wish, it is for a sufficiency of light. Enough to see the next step. Enough to recognise one another. Enough to endure. 

Whether one marks this season with ceremony or passes through it quietly, may there be a sense of being accompanied. May there be moments of rest. And may the heart, in its own time, find reason to be at peace.


~ "May you never be too grown up to search the skies on Christmas Eve." ~ Christmas ornament designed by the artist, Penny based in England.  



Merry Christmas by Jackie Gleason is among the most romantic of holiday recordings, rich with velvet-textured strings and an unmistakable orchestral warmth. I first encountered it many years ago through David Jacobs’ collection on BBC Radio 2, during a time when my Sunday evenings were devoted to listening with full attention. The album retains that same immersive quality, particularly evocative when imagined against the hush of snow and the shelter of a mountain lodge.





Christmas Piano by Alexis Ffrench offers a rare combination of technical assurance and emotional restraint. These piano solos are ideally suited to Christmas morning or a leisurely afternoon tea, their calm unfolding gently in the background. They recall for me the refined stillness of hotel lounges in my childhood, where afternoon tea was accompanied by unassuming music and unhurried time. 







Glenn Medeiros’ Christmas album remains one of the most evocative of the season. His voice, capable of extraordinary range, carries a sincerity that lends particular poignancy to “I’ll Be Home for Christmas.” The lush orchestration, enriched by French horn and boys’ choir, creates a sound world that feels inseparable from the Christmases of my own 1980s childhood. It is the album I most often choose when decorating, its presence shaping the mood of the house.





Winter Warm by Tom Grant and Rebecca Kilgore is among the most refined Christmas recordings I return to each year. It is especially suited to afternoon tea or an intimate supper by the cosy fire, its sophisticated ease inviting reflection and gentle reverie. This is music that encourages one to linger, to daydream, and to revisit Christmases past with tenderness.






For those drawn to the choral tradition, Wolcum Yule by Anonymous 4 offers a luminous exploration of midwinter song. Drawing from Celtic, English, Scottish, and Irish sources, the album weaves medieval carols, traditional melodies, and contemporary pieces into a seamless whole. The elegant accompaniment by Andrew Lawrence-King on harp and psaltery lends a sense of civility and calm that makes this recording especially rewarding for seasonal listening.






Laura Fygi’s The Very Best Time of Year (2004) remains a personal favourite. Fygi records with a full orchestra, creating a sound rich in texture and depth. Her voice, soft and enveloping, recalls the cashmere warmth of Julie London, while her song choices reveal an affinity with the intimacy of Blossom Dearie. It is an album that invites closeness, perfectly attuned to the reflective spirit of the season.













To those who mark this season with celebration, I wish a Christmas suffused with peace and memory, where each shared meal, each heartfelt conversation, carries the weight of enduring joy. To those who pass through these days in silence or reflection, may the stillness be gentle, and may love, steadfast and enduring, continue its work within you. 

And to all who read these words, may this season leave you, with heart and spirit renewed and restored, and with the sense that, even amid absence and change, the continuities of love and hope are never wholly withdrawn.





6 comments:

  1. Darling ASD,

    How wonderful it is to come across such a deeply reflective post during these between days of Christmas and New Year.

    Where to start? Well, your first Christmas in your delightful seaside house seems like a very good place. You convey so beautifully the mixture of emotions when embarking on such a life-changing event. And, how perfect at this time of year to reflect on where those years have gone and the life and gloriously comfortable home that you have now created.

    This year, we spent our first Christmas for many years just the two of us. We called it a slow Christmas and everything was done at a snail's pace which offered time for the reflection and anticipation that you capture so elegantly in the words and images of your post. A turkey for two seemed like an extravagance but it provided many generous hot and cold dinners, culminating in the turkey dinner which we shall consume tonight. :):)

    We love the combination you describe here of traditions and memories, the shared meals and friendship, the preparation and living in the moment and, most importantly, love. The world has never seemed to need so much love as it requires today, but, in the small ways, many of which you highlight here, we can all bring love, happiness and light into our lives and those we meet.

    Thank you for your kind message to us on your previous post. We are deeply touched by your words which we shall hold in our hearts. May the New Year bring joy, success, light and love. Jane and Lance xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Jane and Lance,

      Thank you so much for dropping in with such kind and thoughtful words. Your Christmas sounds incredibly peaceful, and that your “slow Christmas” allowed all the joys of the season to unfold without hurry or pressure.

      We didn’t have turkey this year, instead a leg of lamb; though a shoulder would have been more than sufficient. It delights me to hear of the imaginative ways you are enjoying the turkey leftovers, and how often the cold turkey after Christmas hold a surprising pleasure!

      The essence of Christmas, I absolutely agree, is indeed love, the kind we are all meant to give and receive, the kind that endures beyond a single day or season. I cannot help but think, too, of those who did not receive what they had hoped for and of those who have lost what cannot be replaced. At the turning of the year, we are invited to reflect upon what we most wish to carry forward, to hold onto the essence of Christmas, its love, its tenderness, and its promise to illuminate the soul, to soften hearts, and to awaken gentleness where the world is harsh, and extend it beyond the festivities, beyond the dazzling lights, into the days and months to come.

      May the dawn of this turning year bring you both joy, light, blessings and countless moments of happiness. May all that you hold dear be nourished, and may the new year bless you with love that sustains and endures.

      Delete
  2. Coming back year these handful-of-holidays past Christmas, just to feel the WARM---these reflections of such lovingly planned and carried-out scenes and times and gatherings were absolute CHARMS against the COLD time to come, and have many a day (along with hearty cups of Cocoa and dainty tasses of Earl Grey) comforted and soothed the icy OUT for the sunny thoughts of these times.

    I echo the Delightful Duo of the above: " We love the combination you describe here of traditions and memories, the shared meals and friendship, the preparation and living in the moment and, most importantly, love. The world has never seemed to need so much love as it requires today, but, in the small ways, many of which you highlight here, we can all bring love, happiness and light into our lives and those we meet."

    And now the Rustle of Spring is heard in the land, the tulips and crocus and all sweet colors are emerging in a rush to shine.

    I hope that your absence is kindled by wonderful adventures---a new place, a favorite scent, the familiar tastes and friendships and all things new and beautiful to rest happily with the old. Do let us hear how you ARE, Sweet Friend; I think of you as Sixth Son sometimes, and wish you all the wonderfuls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear R,

      Many thanks for your lovely note that you sent me, and for your kindness here. I'm very sorry to have been so absent, and for allowing so long a silence to gather where once there was such easy exchange between us. It was never my intention to step away in this manner.

      This past season has been a difficult one. I lost my beloved cat, Philo, quite suddenly, and this loss is more heavily felt than I have ever imagined. I have gone through different stages of grief. Even the simplest habits of reading and writing, which once came so naturally, felt at times just beyond reach.

      In those quieter hours, I found myself thinking often of the book, "Another Path" by Gladys Taber, and how this author first came into my life through your generous recommendation. There was a particular comfort in returning to her soothing words, a kind of gentle companionship that asked little, yet gave much. It was, I think, the very book I needed, though I could only approach it in small, hesitant portions. That, in itself, felt enough. Even in the midst of sorrow, your voice of recommendation, carried through those pages, seemed to find me again. I'd like to thank you for being a steady kind of presence.

      Our lives are not always picture perfect, arranged in harmonious scenes, as we might wish them to be. Yet there are enduring kindnesses that steady us, and your friendship has touched a deeper place than I can readily express. It is a rare privilege to be thought of with such care, and I hold that knowledge with gratitude.

      I am touched beyond measure that you have kept me among your “six sons.” One feels deeply blessed to be held within such a circle of affection. Please be assured that I am safe, and slowly finding my voice again. I hope to return to my writing here before long, and I look forward very much to returning to your words, which I have always admired and found a constant source of inspiration.

      May god bless you, dear R.

      With many heartfelt thanks, ASD

      Delete
  3. Dear friend,
    I hope you are well! I think a lot of you and even tried to send you an email via blogland, but that didn't work (neither with my blogland friend Pipistrello).

    I hope you are not angry because you didn't hear of me - my huge (devastating) removal put me in a sort of trauma, which now starts to heal, but other difficulties (but with a good solution in sight) arise.

    I wish that you are healthy and enjoy spring! The fresh green everywhere, birds singing and beautiful cherry blossoms : who can be sad with such joyous abundance around us? My heartfelt greetings to you!
    Britta xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Britta,

      Thank you so much for sending me such a lovely message with such kindness of heart. Reading and hearing your words are like the first soft spring song from the birds after a long and silent winter.

      My sincere apologies for my long absence. I have never intended to take such a long break from here. These past months have not passed lightly. I lost my beloved pet and companion, Philo, quite suddenly in February. Grief, I have come to learn, keeps no calendar and offers no clear path; it draws one inward, into a stillness where words feel distant and the familiar consolations of thought fall away. For a while, I found myself adrift in that unmarked country. ‘The past is a foreign country,’ as L. P. Hartley so memorably wrote, and grief, too, can feel like such a place, where one moves uncertainly, a stranger to all that was once familiar.

      Yet time, in its patient way, begins to lay down a kinder rhythm. The sharpness softens; the silence alters its tone. But I would not say the absence is filled (perhaps it never is) but one learns to carry it differently. And now, as the season turns and the light returns to the world, I feel, too, a small stirring toward words again. I hope, before long, to resume my writing here.

      Your message touched me more than I can easily express. It speaks of a generosity of spirit that thinks of others even while bearing its own burdens. I know you have had much to contend with such a great upheaval as a move can unsettle even the strongest foundations, and yet you found the time to reach out. That is no small grace.

      I do hope you are beginning to find your footing again in your new surroundings, even if the days are still full of lists that seem to lengthen rather than diminish. There is, I think, a quiet stoicism and courage in meeting such days as they come, and I trust that, little by little, a sense of home will gather about you once more.

      And yes; spring does its work faithfully. The green returns, the birds persist in their song, and the cherry blossoms remind us, in their brief perfection, that nothing is held forever, yet all is renewed in its time, and the ache of loss is gently tempered as the seasons revolve.

      Thank you again, dear Britta, for your kindness and your thoughtfulness. It means more than you may know. I look forward to catching up with your writing soon.

      With kindest regards,
      ASD

      Delete

Here is a place set apart from the press of days, where those who linger may find, in quiet company, a measure of solace drawn from nature, art, literature, music, and the deeper currents of thought. It means more than I can say that you pause here, not only to read and look, but to leave behind words that turn these solitary reflections into a shared conversation.