‘Now, whether it
were by peculiar grace,/A leading from above, a something given…’ ~ William Wordsworth, Resolution and
Independence (1807)
There is a gathering momentum in looking towards to the arrival of the New Year in our village. In the New Year’s Eve, or Hogmanay, as we call it here in Scotland, meaning the last day of the old year, there is a cherished tradition in this village. It is our custom to ask the oldest resident in the village to ring the church’s bell when the clock strikes exactly midnight to greet the New Year.
Everyone gathers round the bell
ringer, greeting each other, shaking hands, and calling out ‘Happy New Year’
before singing “Auld Lang Syne”.
I said to Gordon that perhaps, one day if I live long enough, by the grace of God, to be the oldest resident in this village, I hope that the residents would ask me to be the bell ringer in Hogmanay.
Gordon replied with an entire impartiality that he
is quite sure that everyone will come and ask me for “I am sure you will be a fine gay old man in the village by then!”
Winter is a season for a homebody like me. All I want to do is to rest, keep myself warm with quilts in front of the fire and read a book. We had a snowfall a couple of weeks before Christmas. One was transported to a winter-white fantasy world.
The snow can hush all the noise in the whole world with its blast of fresh air.
It can also smooth out any form of contortions and wrinkles in one’s soul. I would like to think that it is what they call 'nature cure'. Who
would pass such freshness and purity by? Its purity is like a fresh canvas that
summons us to start anew.
I think that out of all the months in this year, December is the month that I feel most blessed. It is a joy to crawl out of one’s bed in the morning to witness beautiful kind things that each day bestows on me here.
Despite the drabness of the world outside, the colours are not dimmed. Oh, the splendour of it is quite breathtaking.
One is no longer reminded by the sad drizzling rain on the city’s pavements. One starts to feel wholesome again since the absence from the city only multiplies one’s daily renewal of affection and gratitude for the country. One feels one is whisked away to a distant, kinder and gentler place, a kind of arcadia.
The literary critic, John Carey once wrote: “Paradises…tend to be on islands. This may be because they suggest seclusion and purity. But it has also been pointed out that the human foetus is an island. So the island-paradise may reflect man’s longing for the protective fluid that once surrounded him.”
I think that the citizens of Ireland are very lucky to have their passport, printed with the words from Yeats' beautiful poem, The Lake Isle of Innisfree. It opens with the famous line: "I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree". Such beauty and such consoling words! Of course, I am very envious.
The sunrise in this
frost-bound village looks majestic like a thousand lit candles. The full
moon without her grey veil looks serene like a bride, turning her head to her
groom at the wedding, surrounded by the pale stars as her bridesmaids. I go out
into the woods to bid her farewell for I may not see her again tomorrow.
A combination of this supreme beauty and incredible kindness that I have experienced in this month, I do feel as if I have momentarily fallen into heaven.
‘Now, whether it
were by peculiar grace,/A leading from above, a something given…’ ~ William Wordsworth, Resolution and
Independence (1807)
William
Wordsworth’s words came back to me as I write this journal. He called it
‘peculiar grace’, ‘a leading from above, a something given’. I call it a divine
providence. If it is not a divine providence, I do not know what it is to have
been engulfed in such goodness this whole month.
| Gordon made a hearty Christmas breakfast with freshly homemade waffles, croissants and sourdough bread. |
| This hostess trolley (to keep the food and the plates warm) is a recent acquisition and a gift from a dear friend. |
| Starter for our Christmas dinner: Smoked salmon, cream cheese and asparagus terrine and salad |
| Main Dish: Roast Chicken with roast potatoes, vegetables and mashed potatoes |
As we draw close to the New Year offers me time to look back over the previous year and begin to look forward to the next.
Now my task is to learn how I should keep this patch of gold in me in the coming year. I do not take it for granted. I know that I shall have to work at it to keep my old shattered self that is grey and heavy like lead at bay.
I daresay that this patch of gold will turn into lead again
as soon as I lose my efforts and return to the former wrinkled state like a
failed alchemist. I now understand why Gerald Manley Hopkins asked a very poignant
question in his poem, The Leaden Echo:
How to kéep—is there ány any, is there none
such, nowhere
known some, bow or brooch or braid or brace,
láce,
latch or catch or key to keep
Back beauty, keep it, beauty, beauty, beauty,
… from vanishing away?
Pudding is based on Mary Berry's classic recipe rosace à l'orange. It's simply delicious. All three courses are prepared and cooked by Gordon at home. |
While we were
raising our glasses and wishing everyone merry Christmas and health and
happiness during our Christmas dinner, I was thinking of this very question.
How shall I keep it from a leaden state and prevent from the kind of heaviness
it brings in the coming year?
The path of life is never straightforward. There are always twists and turns, failures and shortcomings as well as good surprises, successes (both large and small) and joys. But I came to realisation that life is infinitely more interesting in this way: a wiggley road rather than a straight road.
I am never fond of travelling on the A1, the longest road in the country, connecting London, the capital of England with Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland. It seems to take forever to reach one’s destination. It is too monotonous and dull.
On the other hand, the wiggly roads of the Lake District make me
enchanted and spellbound. There is poetry in their regularities and
unpredictability.
| I love taking pictures in the afterglow of the sunset when everything is bathed in dazzling hues of pink, purple and violets. |
| We light the candles and the fire in the dining room for our dinner |
Life is a combination of trials and errors but it is capable of turning lead into gold if we keep trying. Our persistence can be constructive whatever the outcomes. So, no matter how many times I fail, I shall just have to keep trying again. 'Carry on regardless' is my new mantra. It depends on your point of view if one calls this mantra lunacy or dedication.
Walter
Pater (1839-1894), an English essayist and art and literary critic, said something that always stays with me ever since I read his book, The
Renaissance: Studies in Art and Poetry (1873) when I was a student. This
following sentence appears in the conclusion chapter of his book:
Pater’s words are
something that I shall take with me into the new year with the hope that his
words will help me to a greater steadfastness. |
“To burn always with this hard gemlike flame, to maintain this ecstasy is success in life.” ~ Walter Pater, The Renaissance: Studies in Art and Poetry (1873) ~
Pater’s words are
something that I shall take with me into the new year with the hope that his
words will help me to a greater steadfastness.
“Beyond this moment of perfect calm/life wants nothing.” Pak Chaesam (1933-1997), Nothing.
Taken from Enough to Say It's Far: Selected Poems of Pak Chaesam (translated by David R. McCann, Jiwon Shinan) published in 2006.
Thank you very much for reading this blog. Wishing you a
fantastic new year, of health, peace, prosperity and joy. May all your hopes
and dreams come true in the new year!

Thank you for sharing your Christmas beauty; happiness in the new year.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your kind wishes, Marta. It's always lovely to hear from you. I hope you are doing well. Happy New Year, and I hope that the coming year, 2024 will be the best year for you and the year that sees all your dreams come to fruition.
DeleteGood morning! It took some time till I was able to thank you for your beautiful post (I'm sorry for the delay, and please: Never think that I don't care - sometimes I am just too occupied - or too far away from myself to comment).
ReplyDeleteWinter is something I love very much too - the purity of snow heightens the few colours left. Now, at the beginning of February, ice and snow have melted in Bavaria by now.
"China tea, the scent of hyacinths, wood fire and bowls of violets - that is my mental picture of an agreeable February afternoon" writes Constanze Spry (whom I know not from her writing, only this quote - but I know her as name-giver of a beautiful rose). I love that as a mental picture - in real life hyacinths are way to overpowering with their scent for me. That shows well the gap between what I dream of and reality.
And maybe that gap is responsible for "the contortion and wrinkles in one's soul" you speak of. My wish is that there will be only a few contortions for you in this still new year!
I try to learn a way to pass those dangerous moods as good as I can - meditation, walking, being grateful - it works better with time, but the pond of despair is there, one can only tiptoe and hope not to fall into it. This year I want to follow the exhibitions of Caspar David Friedrich - the great German Romantic painter - and his great painting "The monk by the sea" shows what I mean.
As you I hope for divine providence, and that helps a lot.
I love your quote by Walter Pater (I own his book "Marius The Epicurean", though have to confess that I forgot a lot, read it during my studies): "To burn always with this hard gemlike flame, to maintain this ecstasy is success in life."
Ecstasy is a flame that has to be guarded well - and it makes me a bit sad that this flame is still there in my life, but not quite as vibrant as in youth - well, it comes in waves, and we still have winter - but I will kindle it and wish you lots of it: ecstasy, and enthusiasm and deep feelings and burning for something you love.
These are my wishes for you this year. I wish you the very best for 2024! Britta
My dear Britta,
DeleteThank you so much for your lovely message. Everything you write is heartfelt and consoling. It is like a precious gift and characteristic of your kind soul. Writing can take up so much of our time and so, please don't feel pressured to respond. I appreciate that it is not always possible to comment. But please know that I always love exceptions in your way of looking at life in your comments.
I have been hibernating. The winter in Scotland can be very harsh, empty, inhospitable, dark and cold. I think that I grow paler by the hour. Lack of sunlight and cold weather makes me disposed to the winter blues (one of the reasons with the delay in posting here). I miss opening the windows to be stirred by a blast of warm sea breeze when I wake up in the morning.
How wonderful to hear that you are looking forward to seeing the upcoming exhibitions of Caspar David Fredrich. As always, you have a wonderful taste for art and culture. Fredrich is one of my favourite artists and his works (both mysterious and melancholy) speak to me in the way as Richard Strauss' music speaks to me.
Thank you so much for all your good wishes for the new year. Thank you for being a starlight on a dark wintry night. May you be blessed by all things this year and may a loving angel touch you with wings of peace, happiness, and prosperity, and wonder of light.