During this calm, sunny interval, I look out of the window and everything looks radiant, fresh and dazzling under the blue skies. I wonder how it is possible that this is typically a country of rain and mist.
I am grateful for the unexpected warmth and mercy from Mother Nature. Now that I have enough sunlight in these last days of summer, I feel as if I can look full in the face of high winds and bitter rains, the enemies of the sun god, in the coming months of autumn and winter.
At present, I am restored
to perfect health, both of body and mind. I shall make the most of the daylight
and the fact that the house is full of peace this morning. There is not one single trace of greyness. My
eyes are on the bright ripples of the sea. Oh bright ripples! They are the
eraser of the gloom.
I live my life in
widening circles
that reach out
across the world.
I may not complete
this last one
but I give myself
to it.
I circle around
God, around the primordial tower.
I’ve been circling
for thousands of years
and I still don’t
know: am I a falcon,
a storm, or a great
song?
Widening
Circles by Rainer Maria
Rilke
The birds are singing and it is music to my ears as if they were singing in verse. The warm sea breeze fills up the room with the sweet perfume from the last roses of summer which can cure whatever ache one might have either in the heart or the head. Oh how I wish I had a book of Rousseau near me.
Lee Bailey’s books are
classics. He was a true artist. I admire his elegant style of setting the table, cooking and entertaining. I'm always inspired by his books. |
| Image credit: Lee Bailey’s Southern Food (1990), Photography by Tom Eckerle |
| Image credit: Lee Bailey’s Southern Food (1990), Photography by Tom Eckerle |
I'll bake a peach pie for the food table,
and rolls for the supper,
Grandma Kenyon's recipe, which came down to me
along with her legs and her brooding disposition.
"Mrs. Kenyon," the doctor used to tell her,
you are simply killing yourself with work."
This she repeated often, with keen satisfaction.
She lived to be a hundred and three,
surviving all her children…
"Church Fair" by Jane Kenyon (1947-1995)
It is the kind of morning Rousseau loved and wrote about in
his Confessions:
“Immediately after I rose from my bed I never
failed, if the weather was fine, to run to the terrace to respire the fresh and
salubrious air of the morning, and glide my eye over the horizon of the lake,
bounded by banks and mountains, delightful to the view. I know no homage more
worthy of the divinity than the silent admiration excited by the contemplation
of His works…”
“'Tis pleasant
through the loopholes of retreat / To peep at such a world” (William Cowper
(1731-1800), The Task, IV. 88-89)
PS Off to dust off all my Lee Bailey books and sit cross-legged on the carpet drinking in all the juleps and gumbo and CLASS on this sunny cusp of Fall. He has more silver trays than EYE used to, and that's saying a LOT.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your kind comment. I’m glad to hear that you have got Lee Bailey’s books. I love his books. He ought to be a national treasure.
DeleteI tend to give away a lot of my cookery books to the charity shops except his books.
They always have a cherished place in my reference section. Over the years, I find various way to adapt some of the ingredients which you can’t find in this country such as corn syrup and old Bay original seasoning.
And yet, his recipes still work. During this summer, I made some of my favourite recipes of Lee which I look forward to sharing with you.
Of course, it goes without saying that he not only knew how to cook but also he had an exquisite taste whether it is an artistic way of arranging flowers or setting a table. I hope you will enjoy reading Lee Bailey's books and savouring his effortless elegance and Southern-style as much as I do.
Wishing you the best possible week ahead and a cosy September.
That was me----rachel---tagging along with a mention I'd meant to make in the first comment.
ReplyDeleteMy dear Rachel, I'm so delighted that it was you who left the previous comment. Thank you so much for coming to visit me here. I hope you had a good summer. We are enjoying an Indian summer here in Scotland. It's warm and calm spell of weather. I must catch up with all your news after coming back from a short summer break.
Delete