Everywhere
I turn I am now greeted with the friendly signs of spring – the cornflower-blue
sky, daffodils, hyacinths, buttercups, amaryllis in my sitting room,
oyster-catchers in the fields and lastly but not least, the sound of wireless
playing Classic FM in my neighbour’s garden. There is nothing icy about the
sight of spring. As we move away from the dark shadow of winter, the Mother Earth
becomes more generous and her gardens give no hint of meanness.
It is also a time to rebuild and restore all the little jobs around the houses, the gardens and the villages that were neglected during the winter months. If one lives close to nature, one has to learn to work with it and live with its irregularities.
The new ladders were recently installed around the harbour. As
the saying goes, time and tide wait for no man. When the engineers arrived an
hour late, the tide was already in the harbour and it was too late to take out
the old rusty ladders. So, they sat and waited.
| A time to build - a new ladder after it was installed at the harbour. |
The crane
lifted one boat after another from the land and dropped into the sea water as
if it was celebrating a baptism at sea ceremony.
When I go out for a walk in the early morning, the unhurried air of tranquillity fills the village. If I see my neighbour’s boat fishing out in the sea, I would make sure to wave from the distant hill. I can imagine his benign, shining face, like a beam of light from the lighthouse to a lost voyager, smiling at me from the sea.
On a calm morning, the sun’s rays get higher and flood the land with their illuminating light. The light is so bright and white that it is impossible to see or describe. It must be what it feels like to be in a paradise. We have no words to describe it.
In The Divine Comedy, Dante’s descriptions of hell are more convincing than his evocations
of paradise. Perhaps, a ray of light in front of me is mystical like Gustav Dore’s illustration of the light that Dante sees in the paradise.
Even a modest little fishing boat of my neighbour can look celestial from miles
away when lit by the long beams of an early morning’s sun.
| The oyster-catchers are back in the fields |
I have been busy with my spring decorations for Easter. I am replacing my quilts with brighter and warmer spring colours to match the colours of the flowers outside. Although we still need to light the fire in the evening, the sitting room is warm enough if it is a sunny day to sit and read without the fire.
The
Portuguese poet Fernando Pessoa (1888-1935). He is one of my favourite poets of all time. I always look forward to reading his poetry in the morning after I come back from my walk. |
While I am happy to do my morning reading of poems by Pessoa or prepare a
story board for this blog or for my journal, Gordon disappears into the kitchen
to make bread.
| Gordon makes his bread in the kitchen while I spend in the company of Pessoa |
Gordon
lives up to the every sense of the word – a companion, based on the etymology
of Latin: com means ‘together with’
and panis means ‘bread’. So, a
companion is one who breaks bread with another. Making bread is a true symbol
of the companionate life.
Job versus work
I have been re-reading a book that I read many years ago by the American poet Donald Hall titled “Life Work” from 1993. The book is a meditation on the nature and philosophy of work. During my college years, I was inspired by Hall’s poetry and prose about his home in rural New Hampshire. He was a great fan of a baseball game and wrote about the beauty of this sport. He wrote movingly about his wife after she died and the main themes in his poetry deal with loss, grief, solitude and love.
![]() |
| I love reading the American poet, Donald Hall's memoirs and a series of autobiographical writings published under the title of his farm, Eagle Pond in Wilmot, New Hampshire, America. |
My favourite book by him, which I often re-read, is called “Eagle Pond”. It is about his life on the farm “Eagle Pond” in Wilmot, New Hampshire. His stories about his family and his poetic observations of the passing seasons are magnetic and magical.
He lived in the same house where his grandmother was born
in 1878 and it was a quintessentially New England home, a white clapboard house
with green shutters. I find a parallel in his childhood with my own when he
went to spend his summers with his grandparents and he wrote about this
experience in his first autobiography book in 1961 titled “String too short to
be saved”.
![]() |
| Donald Hall's Life Work, published in 1993 distinguishes between a job and work. His idea of work is "a state of absorbedness" and a calling. It is different from doing a job. |
Hall’s book titled “Life Work” helps and inspires me over the years as a guide when I feel lost or stuck in my creative process. He wrote, “Work. I make my living at it…There are jobs, there are chores, and there is work.” Work for Hall is something blissful and pleasurable.
It means sitting “long hours at the desk,
joyfully swimming in the language…enjoying the acts of pen on paper…words and
sentences uncoiling down the page in purple, felt-tipped, illegible,
revisionary rapture.” One is no longer aware of the time when one finds work
that is enjoyable.
For Donald Hall, work is
similar to a special calling in life. It is an innate gift and a strong inner
impulse. It is something we have to do with all consuming endeavour. When he
is writing poetry, Hall explained: “In the best part of the best day,
absorbedness occupies me from footsole to skulltop. Hours or minutes or days –
who cares? – lapse without signifying.”
Jobs, on
the other hand, are tedious and lack soulfulness. Hall wrote: “Reading proof is a
chore; checking facts is a chore. When I edit for a magazine or a publisher, I
do a job.” But when he sat down to write a poem, he “could get to work.”
This is where the members of twitterati (sparrows) gather inside the creels at the village's harbour. |
Hall hinted the fact that in life he often had to do jobs in order to get to work - especially, the
type of work he cared about, he was passionate about and he was happy to spend
for hours. There is a very good line in Hall’s book which has full of epiphany:
“because I loved my work it was as if I did not work at all.”
I feel the same
way about writing this blog and my journal. It is never a job or a chore. It is
a destiny where I find my fulfilment and a place of sanctuary where my inner
critics are completely silenced.
A Lonely Impulse of
Delight
| Our excursion to the next village to escape from the sea mist and to go for our favourite cliff walk. |
There are
still places near my village that one passes by on the way to somewhere else,
quiet, forgotten villages at the dead-ends of roads, small communities that go
on with their own daily and seemingly uneventful lives, with hardly any
recognition from the urban pilgrims.
This
morning the sea mists came rolling in out of nowhere and the weather suddenly
changed from bright and sunny to foggy and cold. It was one of those mornings
that had about it a pleasant hint of melancholy which felt as if it could last
forever. We did not know when the mist would be lifted again. The sound of the
village itself was as quiet as a siesta.
We decided
to go for our favourite cliff walk in the next village hoping that there would
not be any fog. One has to take chances, an essential coastal way of life. The weather
can be varied from one village to the next depending on which direction the
wind blows or the position of the contrary sun peeping from the sky.
The roads were still quiet and I was able to visualise all the splendour of the trees enhanced by the misty and atmospheric background. It was as if I have caught something of that vanished world. It is a great miracle that the trees are still there, standing tall, despite the threat for many times, by man as much as by nature.
When we reach to the top of the hill, the sky was full of magnificent
mixture of clouds and mists. It gave us the sensation of floating above the
submerged land of mists and clouds, a Dantean view of Paradise.
An old road
sign - motionless and rusty…it stands as if time did not exist anymore. |
I asked Gordon in the car if he knew or studied the meaning of this following line - "A lonely impulse of delight/drove to this tumult in the clouds" from Yeats’ poem, “An Irish Airman Forsees His Death”.
It opens: “I know that I shall meet my fate/Somewhere among the clouds above”.
The poem
talks about heroism and sacrifice. The narrator explains that it is not law or
duty that makes him fight ("Those that I fight I do not hate"). It is not for the sake of the publicity or fame that drives him to this dangerous mission. Rather, it is “a lonely impulse of
delight” that drove him to “this tumult in the clouds”. “A lonely impulse of
delight” evokes the act of heroism as the solitary sublime.
It was a worthwhile excursion as the sky was clear in the next village. We watched the bright blue sky and the sight of the village church's tower in awe.
There was no wind and the whole world seemed not only flat instead of round but also motionless. I could not think of a better view than this view from the cliff walk. It was as if the already expansive landscape had been put under a magnifying glass.
Everything looked crystal clear in the sharper quality of
light. The bells from the church tower were ringing and filling in with their
reverberating sound into this serene and spacious landscape.
We seemed
to have entered into the secret world, the world of tides, clouds and seabirds that extends far beyond our
native shores.
There are times in our lives we can also be driven and motivated by "a lonely impulse of delight" in a small, humble way not for the attraction of the grandeur or the reward but the innate desire to act in the best interests of other people and not just ourselves.
As I walked back to our car, a solitary and airborne seagull came to circle above my head before it flew further away from me towards the clouds.


What a fantastic post - so full and so much to comment on...
ReplyDeleteThe Hall book I shall her to search for immediately, because I too share that sense of work and life merging - I write in various ways and forms for a living but I also increasingly live to write - and when the two collide in a positive way the hours fly past and I would not be retired for any manner of a pension. In truth I could do pretty much whatever I wished now, but what I wish to do is to work... I never thought I would say that, but it’s so.
The lonely impulse of delight is a good notion - my friend talks often of radical generosity which is perhaps something similar. During the pandemic I have given over my house in France to a young couple with a baby who look after it and pay the bills but no more. They would otherwise be in a one room flat with all the lockdown that is still there - they cried when I told them to take the keys to my place - but more to the point I felt a joy at being able to help.
I look forward to your next post - great writing.
Dear Mark,
DeleteThank you very much for your kind words. Your selfless gesture and generosity to help out the young family in France has moved me deeply. Despite the stress of the frightening time we live in during the pandemic, the story like yours is truly inspiring and "a lonely impulse of delight" in the end will help us restore our faith in humanity and compassion. And we can console from the fact that there is much good that has happened and there is much consolation we have received during the difficult year.
I hope you will find Donald Hall's book inspirational. It has helped me over the years and given me a guidance on what to strive for in life. I am absolutely delighted to hear that you have found your calling or a vocation. It is a truly special gift and a divine touch that no one can take it away from you. Hall was right when he wrote that work gives you not only "an absorbedness that no wage can compensate" but also a quality that is similar to what I would call a state of soulfulness. I think that it is this quality (soulfulness) that is lacking in a job. Thanks again for your visit and please come back to see us again.
I have just bought the Donald Hall book - I have that and some essays from Chris Arthur to read next week - inspirational I'm sure. I have two books being published this year too - one under my name and another I which have ghost written (very odd). Increasingly, my life and work and one and the same - it's a joy actually, and unexpectedly so - giving meaning and purpose to a time of life when I guess that could otherwise wane. But enough... I shall tell you what I make of the book.
DeleteYour posts are always beautiful and thought-provoking. and yes, though the last year and future years may be different than we would like, there is still much to relish, however small, about life and work and the pleasures around us.
ReplyDeleteMy dear E,
DeleteI hope you are keeping well. You and Lukas are in my thoughts. Although we may not miss 2020-2021 (it’s a lot for anyone to cope with), one lesson it has taught me is the importance of counting blessing no matter how small.
Even though the pleasures seem to come in small rations these days since social distancing rules are still ongoing, I hope that Virgil's Aeneas was right when he said at Aeneid 1.203: “Even these things will one day be a pleasure to recall, perhaps.”
What an adventuresome journey you've guided this morning---I could feel the damp mist on my face and arms as I sat here with a steaming cup in the lamplight. There's no pulse or heartbeat in the world to equal the even susssssh of the sea. And the misty clouds come to earth---My first thought as I awoke to realize the day was dimmer at seven than the past few suns through the window, was somehow the last few lines of "High Flight," as I stepped into my shoes. And now your entire message today is of tides and mist and flight and more, including several references which brought a surge of fond remembrance of Gladys Taber's BUTTERNUT WISDOM and the STILLMEADOW BOOKS, with their homey, homely New England life-worth-living in the simple ways and everyday happenings. She was absolutely my favorite author as a student and then in her late years, a single page at the back of Redbook or McCall's or some such, with a few thoughts and happenings which I snipped out and saved in a big binder as snowy, fireplace-and-apples counterpoint to my HOT Mississippi life amongst the fertile fields and flat horizons with a treeline far as you could see, all round.
ReplyDeleteAs I brought the bins from the curb yesterday, I saw a goodly-sized clump of almost-white jonquils out by the shed, and I think that small yellow-glass vase I left in the floor beneath a table yesterday, not knowing quite what to do with it, is just made for some of those nodding charms-on-a-stem.
Life is just flowing slowly along, with my second "shot" yesterday, and no symptoms of anything yet, as the Misfit Vegetable box comes to the door, and a winter-worth of cut-down cardboard from all our small deliveries goes out. There's still a great hollow place in our home, from a bright light gone and a voice stilled, but we reminisce and remember and cope and smile fondly at our memories.
Your adventures and thoughts and your own great poetry in words and pictures are a very bright spot in the days. Stay well and warm, Faraway Friend.
My dear Rachel,
DeleteI am most grateful to you for your charming message, which gave me such a pleasurable bout of exhilaration. Especially hearing that you had your second dose of vaccine and there are no signs, symptoms or side effects reassured me. Vaccination is going well here although I am concerned about other countries in Europe and around the world that are not coping very well with the resurgence of the virus in the middle of their vaccination. I think that people are worn out by the repetitive cycle of release and captivity. I hope that we will see the last of this virus soon.
It is to you, dear Rachel, I have to be grateful for introducing me to Gladys Taber. I believe you might have mentioned her name to me a few years ago or I might have read about her in your blog. Now I have read two books by her. I should add that it is not very easy to find her books in UK. To find the decent condition in hardcover edition seems to be as difficult as finding hen's teeth. The first book I read is about her father Rufus, a college professor of geology, in a book titled "Especially father".
The second book I read is called "The Stillmeadow Road". I will be reading more of her as and when I manage to find her books in this country. She was a remarkable writer, an amazing storyteller and a miniaturist. I do not mean it as a negative way when I said she is a miniaturist - after all, one of the greatest writers in the English language - Jane Austen - is regarded as a miniaturist.
Gladys' writings celebrate the locality, the everyday life in the country, the people, her love of animals, her friendship with Jill and the commonplace objects. Her observations of nature, her love of flowers and her prose make you want to be a poet and a writer.
I love her descriptions of Joe who came and did practical chores for her and also Steve Nies and Allan Griffith who were exemplary Samaritans when they came to clear the road during the big freeze in the winter months. Her stories and people represent all the qualities - openness, tolerance, humour, love of nature and arts, and optimism - that I love and admire about your dear country. If Gladys was still alive, wouldn't she be wonderful as the first female president? Can you imagine all the amazing things she would do to bring the country together and instill a sense of grace and serenity? Wouldn't the latter be the best American dream that every citizen should hope or strive for?
Now, my dear, you must keep all your clippings and books by Gladys because they will be heirlooms and inheritance, valuable beyond estimation, one day for your grandchildren and great-great grandchildren.
Thank you so much once again for your friendship and for bringing Gladys into my life.
Stay safe and keep well, ASD
What a wonderful post. Your beautiful photos of the smooth sea and quiet light made me feel and smell the salty air and, like others, I must now go and treat myself to some books by Donald Hall. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteDear Jane, Hello. Welcome back. Thank you so much for your lovely message. I hope you are keeping well. Have a wonderful weekend.
Delete