‘…the
better part of our memories exist outside us, in a blatter of rain, in the
smell of an unaired room or the first crackling brushwood fire in a cold grate…’ ~ Proust
I have a
habit of writing my journal at the end of the evening before I go to bed. It
allows me to reflect the day’s events and make a small, intricate pattern of arabesque with what I experience during the day. Journal writing
is reflective if one does not simply recount things that happened but
contemplate what they mean or how they fit into the pattern. We might console
ourselves by the fact that there are no editors or critics in journal writing unless one critiques
oneself. The negative feeling is often remedied by getting it off from one’s chest
onto a receptive blank page of paper.
Proust,
who was a night owl, once said that the artists are ‘not the children of broad
daylight and small talk but of darkness and silence’. Proust’s word ‘darkness’ is a metaphor for
grappling with the interior or the inner psyche. While I admire his certain
confidence to reach to this poetic conclusion, most people whether with or
without the artistic disposition I have known in my life have a combination of both
luminosity and darkness. It would not be a real life if we are all luminous
livings, would it?
So, here we are, in the beginning of March, the daylight seems to be lengthening. Although the weather is not warm enough to go outside without a jacket or a coat, fretful clouds are moving further away from the horizon and they reveal patches of spring blue skies, cerulean blue, a magnetic and spiritual colour of Giotto that attracts both birds and angels. The villagers open their windows to welcome the sun breaking out of the clouds in the morning.
We will soon be changing our clocks
to ‘spring forward’. Nature once again takes a deep breath and becomes more
serene. It is no longer something one has to fight with or make a quick escape
from it. It is something which one just sits and admires from the window. When
I see the heraldic colours of irises, snowdrops and crocuses in the woodland,
they look so cheerful that I want to throw my arms to embrace the day.
The fishermen are also coming out of hibernation and going back to the sea. If you open a little gap in your bedroom window, you will hear the sound of fisherman’s outboard motor in the morning which reverberates the whole surrounding.
It
reminded me of the line T. S. Eliot wrote about the sound of ticking of the
Dresden clock on the mantlepiece in his poem about his maiden aunt, Helen. The
dynasties and dictatorships may fall and the political parties may change but the sound of the
fisherman boats like ticking of a clock never changes.
| The washing line on a sunny day...there is no comparison for dried sheets scented with the sun and fresh sea breeze. |
I saw my fisherman friend yesterday and he said that he was glad to be back to work again. Between sheltering in place during the pandemic, drinking his favourite whiskey (Crawford’s) and consuming my generous supplies of cakes, he said he has lost his six-pack abs. Now, he is back out to the sea with the hope of bringing back his six-pack abs.
I agree with Iris Murdoch when she wrote in her masterpiece novel, The Sea, the Sea: 'One of the secret of happy life is continuous small treats, and if some of these can be inexpensive and quickly procured so much the better.' I love the smell of fresh pancakes – my favourite Sunday breakfast in the kitchen. Pancakes for breakfast, reading, walking and listening to the music are the order of the day.
| Joan Baez sings Will ye go, lassie go? in the kitchen while I make pancakes for breakfast. |
| Delicious homemade pancakes, my favourite Sunday breakfast |
“One of
the secrets of a happy life is continuous small treats, and if some of these
can be inexpensive and quickly procured so much the better.” ~ Iris Murdoch, The Sea, The Sea |
Last
week, we celebrated World Book Day. Gordon gave me a thoughtful gift, ‘Great
British Literature Map’ and I gave him the new book, ‘The Crichel Boys: Scenes
from England’s Last Salon’ by Simon Fenwick. Gordon said that the only
difference between the Bloomsbury Group and the Crichel Boys is that the latter
(a group of friends, Eddy Sackville-West, Desmond Shawe-Taylor and Eardley
Knollys who bought an old rectory, Long Crichel House together to make their
sanctuary) do not sleep with one another.
| The Crichel Boys: Scenes from England’s Last Salon by Simon Fenwick. My gift to Gordon on World Book Day last week. It's such a gorgeous book and I love the design on the cover. |
| Great British Literature Map (This is a gift from Gordon. I love unusual and idiosyncratic maps.) |
| ‘A map of the world that does not include Utopia is not worth even glancing at, for it leaves out the one country at which Humanity is always landing.’ ~ Oscar Wilde |
I am enjoying
the literary map that Gordon gave me on World Book Day. I can spend for hours
looking at the names and places. I was brought up by my grandparents who travelled with their old atlases on the back seat of their car. As a child, I found the bright pages of old atlases, similar to the colours of a Battenberg cake, absolutely mesmerising, and it was a wonderful way
to pass time when travelling with my grandparents.
| There is a free library near the village set up by a very thoughtful member of public. Aren't we lucky to live in a place where the books are free and we care about reading? |
| Elizabeth Bishop is one of my favourite poets. |
What a lovely idea to set oneself free travelling through the map of literature and deciding where to find the next literary adventures around these sceptr’d isles. Our epic journeys can take place in our imagination and memory even if our physical movements are restricted and our circles are ever-decreasing. Robert Macfarlane wrote the following in his book, 'The Old Ways' (2012):
"But there are also the landscapes we bear with us in absentia, these places that live on in memory long after they have withdrawn in actuality, and such places - retreated to most often when we are most remote from them - are among the most important landscape we possess."
The year of pandemic has taken many things away from us. So, maps are the sources of reliability and the symbols of hope to ensure a safe landing for our future.
Elizabeth Bishop, The Map
| Is he looking for a safe landing or a free snack? |
Dayum, Hon!! Here I am, new from outside influences and grimy grocery trolleys, with my jaunty surgical cap with flamingoes and my pink mask tossed down the stairs toward the washer, but I'm scrubbed to the elbows with some carbolic substance to keep me antiseptic til I finish throwing things into fridge and cupboard.
ReplyDeleteAnd MYE breakfast was three big mugs of strong coffee and a broken-in-half packet of biscotti that I may or may not have unearthed from the sofa cushions---little tasks forgotten in the long slow days, whilst your scent of pancakes permeated that gloriously neat and superbly kept home of yours. I'll be back later, as usual, to sift and sip and savor. Hope you have our sunshine---it's marvelous today. Y'all be sweet!
Thank you dear Rachel for lovely message. I am very grateful to you for coming in to say hello while you were in the middle of a busy day. I hope your strong cups of coffee kept you going while you tackled your domestic chores. I have been relying on home delivery for food during the lockdown. If only you were a little bit closer, I would send you some pancakes with a jar of maple syrup as a recorded delivery! I thank you for taking time to come and share your thought. Your devastating wit always brings a smile to my face and they are always a blessing to the recipient's heart.
DeleteAWWWW. You bless my heart every time I see you bob up to the top on the sidebar (and the BLESS is not in the Southern way, in which Bless Your Heart can variously mean Poor Thing or I can't believe you're wearing that, or I Know Your Mama Raised You Better Than That). Just the idea of your brightness in the dour skies of Winter, with the warmth of the reds and flowers and using "the good china" and comfortable quilts and your earnest love of books and friends and good hospitality, the glow of the candles shining from a generous glass, the proud puff of an everyday pancake to be shared on a lazy Sunday---those have brightened this last year for me more than you can imagine. We have had a most troubling and sad time here for a couple of years, and the events and losses of 2020 have stilled and stopped such energy as we still had to spare.
DeleteOur calendar pages seem to have stopped turning in the slow times come upon us, and yet they've fluttered away like one of those time-is-passing moments in a Thirties movie when numbers whisked away in the wind. Some things I still cannot say and realize to their full extent, as we cushion in the closed-doors/wide windows of our little house, with no step upon the porch save for mail and parcels, and we retrieve bags of groceries chosen and packed by hands not our own. We contemplate the things in disarray about the house, and put a band-aid on the peripherals by making a small bright area in the rooms around our Memory Tree, still here from way last November, still lit morning til night with our small trinkets and souvenirs and billows of sparkling pink ribbons. Telephone and Text and ZOOM with all the children and the GRANDS in six states brighten every day, with all their young energy and plans and the activities of their own at-home days.
We've still made a pretty setting up there, with changes of holiday and the seasons in colors and little things set out for the cheer of it. We're in the GREEN this moment, with a lovely corned beef awaiting in the fridge, and I can see just the timid hint of the few tulips emerging about the yard--the seven little clumps which were here when we bought the house in '97 still make a brave little show every spring to start us off. I, too, am so accustomed to the stroll for snowdrops and crocuses and jonquils (Southern for daffodils) in my former life down South, and these few bright little fellows are such a treat---I'm just amazed at their longevity.
Devastating wit, indeed---I'm often at a loss for two thoughts to rub together, but the evening banter with Caro as we cook and have our dinner with Britbox or change a cloth and lampshade and put out little items of the seasons gives me hope that a few brain cells have still not "hit the buglight." And now I'm just babbling---this is probably the most words to paper I've put in a couple of years.
I do wish Y'all well and warm, there with your gunmetal seas changing to blues, with your safe landing and your cheerful home and books around the fire. Faraway and so close. A comfy ganjin hug to you both.
Dear Rachel,
DeleteI am most grateful to you, my dear, for your charming message. How pleasant it is, on a stormy day like today, to receive the note that appears unexpectedly like a rainbow from you. So, here I am in a quiet corner, sitting next to the warm stove and reading your message.
I hope that you are having a good week. The year 2020 and the ongoing pandemic this year have been our time on the cross and our spirits have been tested. Plenty of pains, loss and uncertainty about the future. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel and the restrictions are slowly easing. So, we must hold on since we know that the finishing line is in sight.
It is wonderful that you are keeping in touch with your families and all your grandchildren. I can imagine that they also miss you a great deal. I hope that you will be able to have a lovely reunion with them very soon.
As much as I love cooking, I confess that I find tidying the house is such a frightful bore. I think about how many pages of Proust’s novel I could have read during the time I spend on cleaning. I usually put on the audio books on tape while I do my dusting.
I love what Phyllis Diller once said: “If your house is really a mess and a stranger comes to the door greet him with, 'Who could have done this? We have no enemies!”
Yesterday was a red letter day – I saw a butterfly – both earthly and ethereal being! I am delighted to hear that signs of spring are gracing your home and its surrounding. After a long dark winter, the sunlight uplifts my spirit and my mother is right when she said that the sunlight is the best disinfectant (I should add for both body and soul).
Thank you so much once again for your magic carpet letter/note. May god bless you.
Wishing you a safe and happy landing when it comes...
ReplyDeleteThank you so much dear E. It's wonderful to see you.
DeleteDarling ASD,
ReplyDeleteWe love the thought of your taking time at the end of a day to reflect upon the day and its events and, even further, to immerse yourself in random ideas which spring to mind as a result. Truly, this is celebrating life itself in its tiny details and in the imaginative mind which races on before sleep refreshes us for the day to come.
And, how wonderful it is to see the year turning towards Spring and the pattern of life in your small village returning to its usual routine.The sea in all its moods is a passion for us and how wonderful it is that you can witness its ebb and flow at such close quarters.
How well you must both know each other to give such perfectly judged gifts. We have noted one or two titles which we shall have pleasure in sending to our bookseller who obtains them for us and delivers to the door.
All of this is so reassuring in its familiarity. A safe landing is what we must now hope and wish for not only for ourselves but for Humanity and the Natural World. Take care, dearest friend and stay safe.
My dear Jane and Lance,
DeleteThank you so much for your generous comment. I am glad to hear that you know the bookshop that can do home delivery.
I am very grateful to all the postmen/women who keep going during the pandemic and delivering our letters and parcels. We will be utterly lost without them.
I count my blessings every day for being able to choose a life lived by the tides. It brings me a gift of connectedness to nature and calm. Meanwhile my affectionate regards to you both.
Delighted to find your blog. Savoring the details and thoughtfulness woven throughout. Such generous gifts to your readers.
ReplyDeleteDear Maudie,
DeleteThank you so much for your kind comment. It is very reassuring to hear that you enjoy reading this blog. Being a creature of incurable verbosity, this blog (like my journal) is my little sanctuary where I have a complete creative freedom and talk till the cows come home if I want to.
If it sends a little light into the world, my effort will be worth it. But I must say that the readers here are infinite in their compassion and patience.
What a busy artistic life you lead - the best and richest type I think. The photos remind me of the harbour near my house in Pembrokeshire - we are moving there permanently very soon - and they remind me too of Dylan Thomas and the his opening of Under Milk Wood...the cobblestreets silent and the hunched, courters'-and- rabbits' wood limping invisible down to the sloeblack, slow, black, crowblack, fishingboat-bobbing sea.
ReplyDeleteHello and good evening Mark.
DeleteMany thanks for your kind words. I have never been to Pembrokeshire but I heard that it is very picturesque. The songs and poetry are in the blood of Welsh communities. I love their sing-song way of speaking and enjoy the lyrical description of the landscapes in the poems by Dylan Thomas, R. S. Thomas, and lastly but not least, the writings of the late Jan Morris.
I hope that your move to Pembrokeshire will bring you joy, a sense of peace and prosperity.
I recently learn this beautiful Welsh word 'Hiraeth' meaning longing or nostalgia, a desire, or a sense of regret. I thought it is a beautiful word.