Saturday, 2 January 2016

Farewell to 2015!


Happy New Year! I hope you all had a marvellous time during your Christmas and New Year holidays.

I had a small dinner party at home on New Year’s Eve. It was almost cancelled at the last minute because of the storm which grew in violence in the village before the clock struck the midnight hour. During the day, the whole village was covered with the sea foam and mist driven onward by the wind in agitation. The village and its inhabitants seemed to enter the dim obscurity of a dreamland, the untracked wilderness in the middle of elemental treacherousness as if the whole of our existence was fading off into formless haze. People in the village on that day did not witness either sunrise or sunset upon the horizon.



The news on the wireless said that there are thousands of people in the west coast without electricity and my heart goes out to those who had to abandon their homes before Christmas because their properties were flooded during the rain storm. It shows that although we choose the safest sites for human habitation for centuries, the elements are not to be relied upon especially during the winter months in which the communities are exposed to the direct danger.

The village harbour was covered with the sea foams and waves driven onward by the wind in agitation.
I was relieved that the guests and Gordon arrived to my house for our dinner party without any danger during their journey on the road. They were kind enough to tell me that the moment they found themselves inside my house, they knew that they would be safe and sound. I like the idea of being tucked away safely inside the house, my cave of refuge, while the storm howls on and the wind shrieks outside the windows.


Inside the house, one becomes conscious of perfect tranquillity – open fire, books, candles, flowers and furniture, everything is at rest and all breathe the same peace and silent promptitude of nature. In this quiet atmosphere, we were all so grateful to be together, sharing the most intimate time before our holidays are drawing to a close. Our thoughtful conversations, exchanging idea and laughter were what I cherished most of all. 
Scotch quail eggs with salad (Starter)

The meal that I prepared for our dinner party was absolutely simple and abstemious. For starter, I cooked scotch eggs (I used quail eggs instead) fried gently in olive oil and salad. I left the guests and Gordon to entertain themselves in the sitting room while they were talking about Christopher Marlowe's The Passionate Shepherd to His Love (Elizabethan Pastoral Poetry) which did not much attract me.    
The music for the evening was from the CD titled Baroque Guitar Quartets played by The English Guitar Quartet (2006). It is one of my favourite CDs to play when I have dinner parties at home. I love this kind of soothing music which transports the listeners to the gentler and more romantic time.  

My main course was an improvised version of the French dish from Provence. It is called Poussins Farcis: small chickens stuffed with olives.
Beautifully illustrated cookery books by Leslie Forbes titled A Table in Provence: Classic Recipes from the South of France (1987) and A Table in Tuscany: Classic Recipes from the Heart of Italy (1985)

The recipe of this dish (Poussins Farcis: small chickens stuffed with olives) is available in the beautifully illustrated cookery book by Leslie Forbes titled A Table in Provence: Classic Recipes from the South of France (1987). This cookery book is the second book, published a couple of years after she wrote A Table in Tuscany: Classic Recipes from the Heart of Italy in 1985.  

A Table in Provence: Classic Recipes from the South of France (1987) Collected and Illustrated by Leslie Forbes
 
The Map of Provence in A Table in Provence: Classic Recipes from the South of France (1987) Collected and Illustrated by Leslie Forbes


I love the colourful illustrations in A Table in Provence: Classic Recipes from the South of France (1987) Collected and Illustrated by Leslie Forbes

A Table in Provence: Classic Recipes from the South of France (1987) Collected and Illustrated by Leslie Forbes

Book cover: About the author, from A Table in Provence: Classic Recipes from the South of France (1987) Collected and Illustrated by Leslie Forbes
(Book cover) A Table in Tuscany: Classic Recipes from the heart of Italy (1985) Collected and Illustrated by Leslie Forbes

(Main Course) Poussins Farcis: chickens with olives, potatoes and vegetables (my improvised recipe, inspired by the French cuisine from Leslie Forbes' cookery book, A Table in Provence.

Instead of using the whole chicken, I cut them into small pieces and put them in an oiled casserole dish and cooked them slowly in the oven. The extra ingredients that I added for this dish are courgettes, potatoes, thin slices of lemon and a lot of fresh herbs.  

The unexpected culinary surprise for the evening was the most beautiful cake Gordon baked, Tian à l'orange, based on the recipe from his grandmother. It was absolutely out of this world - the most delicious cake that I've ever tasted!


(Dessert) Everyone at the dinner party ate a piece of Tian à l'orange. It did not stay too long on the plate.
As for dessert, I baked a simple Victorian sponge with icing (the first image illustrated in this post) the day before. But Gordon outdid himself and surprised us all with his home-baked and the most delicious Tian à l'orange, a recipe from his grandmother. It was not surprising that after the main course, nobody gave my rather boring Victorian Sponge a second glance! Instead, everyone wanted to eat a slice of light and fluffy cake, beautifully baked by Gordon. At the end of the evening, we were all stimulated by the good food, drinks, conversations, music and the prospect of New Year before us. It seemed to be a fit opportunity to wish everyone a very happy and peaceful new year.

Outside, the storm was still raging and everything looked rather dull and colourless. But there was no dullness in us as we welcomed in the New Year with clinked glasses and cheerful handshakes. From the dining room’s windows, we watched a group of villagers pulling ropes at the church tower to set the bells in motion at 12 o' clock. The tearing tempest and gale whirled through the sleepy village. The tolling bells from the church echoed in our hearts while we were reminded by this pearl of wisdom: "Come what come may, Time and the hour runs through the roughest day." (Macbeth, Act I, Sc. 3.)

 
May all your dreams come true in 2016. Wishing everyone happiness, peace, good health and prosperity. Happy New Year!    

10 comments:

  1. How fabulous and cozy an evening! All the raging outside, the blazing warmth within, and all the colours of the holiday season to brighten, as well. What a lovely introduction with that festive, beautiful "Victorian Sponge"---I've heard and seen so much about "sponges" lately, as I avidly devour the Great British Baking Show. I must try my hand at one soon---I think I've baked practically every kind of "cake" there is, but then I learn more.

    The salad on the Bunny Plate---the shine of the burgundy damask, the perfect pairing of Tuscan sun in the chicken/olive dish with the raging weather outdoors, multiplying the effects of both in the reflection---what an expert and thoughtful plan to such a splendid evening.

    I'm loving the exquisite elegance of your dinner party, especially compared to the rap-scallion dashes and noise of our own---TEN of our children and GRANDS in the house that evening---the most in one place in two years, and all the festivity and chaos of mounds of party food, happy children, scattered gift-wrappings, urns of fruit punch, and catching-up of brothers and sisters in such a perfect moment. I'm STILL not finished cleaning up two days later.

    Someday I will see that stormy sea and shake your hand, Faraway Friend. Until . . .

    r

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Rachel,

      Happy New Year! I hope you and your family had a terrific time during your holidays. The cake I baked is a classic Victoria sponge with strawberry jam which is probably the easiest cake to bake. You will not have any trouble at all in making this cake. One of the tips that I learn from baking this cake is that you must use the eggs that are kept in the room temperature.

      One of my idiosyncrasies or call it what you will, is to set the table in a certain way. Some people believe that eating at the decorated table can improve the taste of the food.

      But, my dear R, how I would like to witness the dinner party at your house with all your grandchildren, happy, vivacious and relaxed in your lovely company! I am sure that you would be incredibly thoughtful and generous by spoiling everyone at home. The best gift of all is being with them and sharing the precious family time together. It is the gift of love.

      I am still packing away all my decorations into various boxes during this weekend. It is rather a tedious and anti-climax task which you would agree! My mother's saying: "A woman's work is never done!" comes into my head every time I am doing the housework. And she was absolutely right!

      I hope it will be a year that sees all your dreams come to fruition. I hope that 2016 will be a splendid year for you. May God bless you and grant you happiness, peace and good health!

      With warmest wishes,

      ASD

      Delete
  2. How lovely! Wishing you health and happiness in the New Year and always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear e,

      Happy New Year to you! I hope that 2016 is the best year for you. Thank you so much for your kind words.

      Best wishes, ASD

      Delete
  3. Dearest ASD,

    So happy to hear you are safe and your house is high and dry. It must have been a worry for you expecting guests and keeping an eye on the storm and hoping all would arrive safely. You dinner looks delicious and comforting for such an evening. I agree that Gordon's cake is a masterpiece.

    I have been thinking about you and was so happy to see your post today. Wishing you good health, happiness, friendship and lots of adventures in 2016.

    Love
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Helen,

      What a lovely surprise! Happy New Year! You have been away for so long and I miss you a great deal. I hope life is treating you well and it would be wonderful to see your writing again on your blog - perhaps, very soon in the new year?

      I am still house bound because of the horrendous rain storm which will last for a few days until next week. So, I am drinking tea, reading and listening to Charles Aznavour's songs in front of the fire while I'm hiding away from the storm which is incredibly wild and tempestuous.

      I hope that the coming year will be filled with joy, good health and hope for you.

      Thank you so much once again for your lovely message which makes my day!

      Best wishes, ASD

      Delete
  4. I so love your romantic writings. The raging storm outside, yet a cozy fire and dinner inside. I can't imagine a dreamier way to begin a New Year.

    Happy and healthy 2016!

    Marc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Marc,

      Happy New Year to you! You are most kind. Thank you so much for your message.

      We are still enduring the most horrendous stormy weather that does not seem to have any redeeming qualities. I count my blessings that I live in a place that is not in danger of flooding. Many parts of our country are braced for more flooding as heavy rain is expected for the next two days. The Roman historian, Tacitus was absolutely right when he commented on British weather about 2000 years ago that “the climate is wretched”!

      I hope that 2016 will be a great year for you and whatever plans you have for this year happen successfully and just the way you want them to...

      Thank you once again for your message.

      Best wishes,

      ASD

      Delete
  5. Just now, after I am back I have time to read your absolutely mouthwatering post! I shall try some recipes... What a delightful holiday you've had. I read about the floods, so terrifying. Glad you have been spared disaster at New Year's Eve.
    Off to a fresh start, wishing you the very best for 2016! Love, Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Victoria,

      Happy New Year to you! I hope you also had a wonderful holiday with your friends and family.

      I will never forget the dinner party with my friends for Hogmanay. Everyone behaved calmly and cordially during the storm. They were all incredibly generous and thoughtful to come out on New Year's Eve in the most frightful weather, and we shared some wonderful meals and delightful times together. Perhaps, you could call it "the Blitz spirit"!!

      With best wishes, ASD

      Delete

Here is a place set apart from the press of days, where those who linger may find, in quiet company, a measure of solace drawn from nature, art, literature, music, and the deeper currents of thought. It means more than I can say that you pause here, not only to read and look, but to leave behind words that turn these solitary reflections into a shared conversation.