In one of my favourite books, a collection of essays titled The Olive Tree by Aldous Huxley, there
is a delightful, imaginary paragraph when he talks about the tradition of acquiring
the Christmas tree. Huxley wrote:
“The tree, of course, was a mere accident. If Queen
Victoria had married a Frenchman we should probably be giving one another etrennes and ushering in the year with a
series of calls on the most remote and the most personally antipathetic of our
innumerable relations. (Relations, in France, are innumerable.) As it was, she
took to herself a prince from the land of tannenbaums. It is therefore a
tannenbaum’s green branches, and upon Christmas Day, that we attach our gifts.”
~ Aldous Huxley ~
From his essay titled, New-Fashioned Christmas (Ref: The Olive Tree And Other Essays)
From his essay titled, New-Fashioned Christmas (Ref: The Olive Tree And Other Essays)
Alas, it is not a mere accident in my case for
knowing a dear friend, Gordon for many years and he insisted that I must buy a
tree for the house. He went through the poetical expansion of his reasons on
why I should buy the tree but the gist of it was that it is a tradition and
that he needed to rescue me before I became quite alone like Dickens’ Scrooge.
![]() |
| A tiny log cabin outside of the shop that sells Christmas trees...I adore miniatures |
Last year, I had a small Christmas tree to
celebrate my first Christmas after I moved here to the small fishing village
from a big city. But this year, I have had too much travelling with work for
several weeks and dwelled too much on my pending jobs that I almost forgot the
Christmas celebration. Once these subjects get into my mind, it is not easy to
dismiss them and I can’t write or read.
it is not a bad thing to be jolted out of a long brooding. The
ritualistic shopping to buy presents for friends and families has to be
postponed and a pile of Christmas cards is still waiting to be written on the
table. According to my local post office, the last posting date for Christmas
is today, 19th of December.
There are times when I envy and admire those people
who can organise it all months ahead of time. What a blissful state to be in, I
thought, for not cramming your present-buying into these last few hectic days.
So, in the end, I made a promise to Gordon that I
would go and buy the tree for the house if he would give me a lift to a place
where they sell the tree. Since I am not motorised, buying the tree and
carrying it home on the bus or on the train is the most daunting task. Gordon
took me to the place where he has always been buying his and his parents’ trees
for many years in a little rural village surrounded by forestry and
agricultural land in the north east of Scotland.
After we have our lunch, it is the time to part
from this picturesque town. The whole morning, walking around the quiet streets,
looking at the shops and browsing the books in the bookshops of this town has
been blissful. But the time has gone so fast as if there is no consistent
measure of its length. Once it has gone, never to come back again – not even
with the royal warrants.
![]() |
| A beautiful scenery before arriving to Ballater, Scotland |
Before we picked up the tree, we decided to take a
high road to go up further north to make the most of what daylight was still
left to a quintessentially Scottish town called Ballater located in the heart
of the Cairngorm Mountains. Being so close to the summer holiday home of the royal
family, Balmoral Castle, originally acquired by the Queen Victoria, this place
seems to be devoted to all things that the British upper classes love; horse
riding, fishing, hunting and shooting. For an ordinary visitor, it is the most
picturesque place to relax if you enjoy bike rides, walks and beaches, summer
ceilidhs, Highland games and Scottish country dances.
As we drive up the hills and the mountains
luxuriantly clad in the scented Scottish pine trees, we listen to the beautiful
voice of Anna Moffo (Gordon’s favourite soprano) in the car. There are 10 CDs
in this sublime compilation featuring the early recordings and it is titled: “The Beauty and The Voice”. I will never
forget the most memorable experience of listening to Anna Moffo, driving upward
to the purity of the high hills as Moffo’s voice goes higher, looking down at
the steep hairpin bends as her voice fades away into falling cadences, gazing
at the soft colours of the hills are as feminine as the voice of Moffo and they
compose into the universal harmony in which the two elements; musical and
natural sublime begin to mingle and become alive.
![]() |
| Lonely roads were unyielding. We didn't see anyone and no cars on the road. |
There are phosphorescent lights in the sky, and the
mountains are chameleonlike, taking colour from the sun and standing still in
the cold wind. Such should be the transcendental moment in one’s life after one
has a chance to experience this imprisoned luxury that thrills the senses and
emotions.
We never expect such a change of temperature to
take place when we came out of the car. The whole town is standing in its
wonderful stillness, unspoilt by the noise of traffic or the mercenary loudness
of the tourists. Although the sun, burnished so brightly for one of its
briefest stays of the year, it does not really possess the heat and the warmth.
Sharp, crisp cold wind, ceaselessly blowing, permeates the whole town and as
the temperature drops, frost on the grass, white enough to make us believe
there was a light fall of snow.
I remember a verse from one of Sir Walter Scott’s
poems:
Heap on more
wood! The wind is chill;
But let it whistle as it will,
We’ll keep our
Christmas merry still.
![]() |
| Out of the usual tourist season, the whole town is serene, magical, peaceful and unspoilt |
Strolling along the street with Gordon, I become
aware of the hushed significance of the privileges, the royal warrants of
appointment that can be seen proudly decorated on the walls outside the shops. The
royal warrant means it’s a seal approval, ah! yes, it is exceptional, nothing
like it happens to the majority and it is Darwin’s Natural Selection.
There are many shops with the signs of Royal Warrant of Appointment, showing off their good quality products and royal patronage. It is intriguing to witness how the other half lives.
|
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
On our way back home, we collect the Christmas
tree. The gentleman at the shop is most helpful in finding the best tree while
we stand among the trees and pretend that we are lost in the woods, inhale the
aromatic and fragrant resin and nocturnal scents from the rainy pine trees and
listen to the piped sounds of “Hark, the Herald Angels Sing” coming from the
shop’s radio in the background.
The sun is setting behind the pine trees.
Nothing moves. The hills and the trees are almost in a trance. After many hours
of mystical experience, I feel ready to decorate my Christmas tree and the true
spirit of Christmas has returned to me. It is very seldom that my friend,
Gordon interrupts my way of life but the quietness of his few remarks shows the
authority that he has when it comes to dispelling the air of my melancholies
and doubts and is the proof of how often we should and must talk together.
Today, after my morning cup of tea, I decided to decorate my tree while I listened
to my favourite Christmas music, Danny Wright’s Just Wright for Christmas. When I took out the Guardian newspapers from last weekend to read while I had
my cup of tea, a small packet fell out from the folded newspapers. It is a
little gift from Gordon, hidden inside the newspapers. What a pleasant surprise!! In a little note, he
said, “I thought that this would keep you going when you decorate your
beautiful Christmas tree. With love, Gordon”.
![]() |
| A lovely gift from Gordon, my favourite sweets from Konditorei Heinemann - their website here |
This little packet contains one
of my most favourite sweets (sugar dusted champagne truffles) from Konditorei Heinemann based in
Dusseldorf, Germany. This is awfully sweet of him. He definitely knows how to
make me smile. Perhaps, the love of finer things in life, so dear to the hearts
of the Romantics, is one of the links of our friendship.
I wish you a very happy Christmas and New Year. May god bless you and grant you every happiness, love, good health and prosperous new year.

.jpg)

.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)

.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)

.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
+(2).jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)


.jpg)

.jpg)

.jpg)
.jpg)
Hello Darling!
ReplyDeleteI have just returned from a week in Scotland. I have to say, I don't recognise that sunshine at all :-) How I love this part of the UK, attached yet so distant from everywhere else, both in proximity and attitude. I love escaping there at least once a year. We stay close to Fort William but have yet to wander into the Cairngorms which, after seeing your wonderful pictorial, is now at the top of my list.
I love Danny Wright, for life, not just for Christmas.
Blessings to you dear one.
Di
xoxo
I came back to wish you the Happiest of Holidays, the most wonderful Christmas, and am again captivated by the magic of your Trip to Get The Tree. The travel, the rolling hills, the vistas opening ahead---do you not have to restrain yourself as those golden hillsides unroll before you, lest you wriggle uncontrollably in your skin, like an ecstatic pup about to pee the rug? Even at my age, and the SEDATE which should be my mien by now, I do believe I might be overtaken by an unseemly, if not raucous, display, right there in the car.
ReplyDeleteAnd the little town--charming is exactly the word, with the strolls and the shops with their perfectly-suited wares. I can smell the tweed from here, and the leather, and all those dubbed worthy of calling themselves "High Class"---why, I'd have to buy a roast right then and there, from such a perfect purveyor, if it meant I had to wag the parcel a hundred miles, off ice.
The selecting of the tree and the carrying it away, like some great trophy beast trussed in plastic, traveling toward home with a dear friend and Moffo, as well---I'm trying to imagine a better moment to capture in amber.
I wish you seasons and years of such clear, perfect memories, and a joyous Christmas in that place I love so much.
rachel
Dearest ASD
ReplyDeleteOh what a day you and Gordon carved out in pursuit of your Christmas tree.
I have not been to this part of the world and, like Di from Yonks, very much want to follow in your footsteps.
Now I am off to you tube to hear Danny Wright.
A very Happy Christmas and may the new Year be filled with many more trips, good health, good music and joy.
Helen xx
Hello ASD:
ReplyDeleteSuch fun, such adventures. But how we love the decorations on your Christmas Dinner table which, despite Gordon's misgivings, look so utterly charming, as does your lovely mix of china.