Sunday, 1 December 2013

For Old Times' Sake





I have this strange passion for winter. I love its stillness as it seems everything is asleep. Every day is like Sunday afternoons when you can’t hear a sound, no one to be seen, and only the smoked chimneys transfiguring in the mellow sunshine indicate that there are living beings behind the closed doors. There is hypnotic effect in this philosophic calm. We need silence to steady our lives.   


I’ve been travelling a lot lately.  My recent adventurous journeys made me realised how much I’ve been spoilt by living in the remote and quiet countryside. I encountered the fiery core of all lives floating and circling around me in a forceful, speedy, matter-of-fact manner in my journey. How long such state of nerves can continue is a question of personal temperament. I often wonder if the pace of life in our modern world would either keep our soul fit to endure the common hardness of life or wear it down to thinness like one of those Chinese lanterns you see made of paper that could only be used once.

My simple pleasures include walking on the beach...


I do not mean to declare that I dislike travelling. Travelling allows me to observe the unfamiliar world around me. In the atmosphere of general anonymity, we observe the world around us in a sense of irony, pathos and understanding. But the feeling of longing to come home is immense.
 
Drinking a cup of tea to unwind.....
 
I adore folk art - that little ceramic figurine that I got it as a souvenir from a friend many years ago is a bell
 
I miss simple delights in the comfort of my home such as drinking a cup of tea while listening to the sound of falling rain from the black roofs of slate, the cries of curlews that wake me from my dreams, listening to my favourite music and reading a lot of books. On the other hand, writing, I decided that, is an importunate craving as it does not seem to shrivel away in the heat of the more generous and tolerable hobby. Homesickness magnifies little things; the pleasure of things known and tasted; the books that one loves and leaves behind, the exaggeration of nostalgia and memory that trickles endlessly from moment to moment into the thin, limpid stream of our consciousness.       
 
Above all, reading is my favourite hobby...the books on my bookshelves are my flying carpets to the world of imagination
 

6 comments:

  1. You know I could just float away on your images and imagery alike.

    It's been Sunday here for almost a week, now, for it seemed to dawn Sabbath for days in a row, with the unaccustomed ins and outs and the leisurely feel of the days.

    I've coveted few things in life, but to be in company with that sunlit treasure chest of books---I think I'd need nothing else for Winter's span save the pretty teapot and that magical closet.

    We have sunny days in the forties predicted for all this week---hope your December s bright.

    rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest ASD

    I can fully understand why you would miss being away from your beautiful home, filled with your treasures.
    I can picture the business man you describe so succinctly. Coincidentally as I read the line "Auld Lang Syne suddenly I heard the song being sung on TV, there is a PBS fundraising concert on air tonight.
    Celtic Woman are the stars.

    To a great week

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry I have been away from your writings for so long. It has been such a busy summer, autumn and now winter. I am glad to be back in your restful musings. You write to beautifully, evocatively and metaphorically. I love to bathe in your words. I don't actually read that much, I am mostly disappointed by modern writing. Now, if you wrote books, I would read forever.
    Glad to be back.
    Di
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. G--


    Your blog is better than ever!

    How brilliant and versatile and witty and thoughtful you are.

    fondest DIANE
    THE STYLE SALONISTE

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear Rachel, Thank you so much for your kind words. The sunlight on the bookcase is lovely but please do not fear, the books are well protected from the sunlight. I wish we could do with a bit more sun in this time of the year. I hope all is well with you. I've been travelling a lot and I have missed a great many of your wonderful posts and I shall catch up during my Christmas and New Year holiday. Hope you have a fantastic Christmas and New Year.

    My dearest Helen, I hope you are doing well. I do not understand the motive of the businessman whom I met on the train and why he shared his life story. I did not know if I was supposed to show an ounce of sorrow or contrition for his air of sadness. But I am glad to hear his story as it gave me inspiration to write about it. The idea of exile and homesickness is fascinating to me. Hope you have a very merry Christmas and happy new year.


    My dear Di, How really marvellous to see you. I hope you are looking forward to your holiday and that all is well with you. Thank you so much for your wonderful support and generous comment. I had a very busy summer and I am also sorry to have missed many of your fabulous posts and I shall have to resurrect my old routine and catch up with my favourite blog over Christmas and New Year holiday. Wishing you a very merry Christmas and Happy New Year...may god bless you x

    My dear Diane, This is awfully generous of you. I can honestly say the same about you and your blog - I learn something new whenever I come to read your blog. I'm hoping to visit your latest posts during my Christmas and New Year so I am saving up enough of things to read both online and off line. I know your recent post would be such a treat to read. Hope you have a merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello ASD:
    Bookshelves as "flying carpets". How we adore that image!!

    ReplyDelete

Here is a place set apart from the press of days, where those who linger may find, in quiet company, a measure of solace drawn from nature, art, literature, music, and the deeper currents of thought. It means more than I can say that you pause here, not only to read and look, but to leave behind words that turn these solitary reflections into a shared conversation.