Thursday, 20 October 2011

On Dining Alone


'Memory, individual rather than collective, accounts for who we are and what we have become. And early memory is particularly valuable, though it can be misconstrued. Its influence can persist throughout adult life, though what is cause and what effect may be difficult to judge'. ~ Anita Brookner


I spent much of my early childhood with my grandparents. From an early age I was invited to my grandparents' dinner parties which gave me an opportunity to observe the habits and lives of their cultured and sophisticated friends.

They always dressed up in the most dashing style for their dinner parties. They liked people and places to be beautiful, if they were not it was their vocation to make them so. At one dinner party, an elderly lady with crimson coloured nails asked me how old I was. I replied, "I'm seven". She said, "That's a good age". Being a precocious child, I straightened up and replied, "I thought six was better". She gave me a smile from her red lips and replied with a twinkle, "Oh my dear! You're nostalgic".


I miss their dinner parties as I grow older. As we lead increasingly busier and more hectic lives, we don't often have time to sit down at the dinner table and make our dinner a special occasion. It's even more difficult to manage this routine if you are single and you live alone because you'll be invited out to a friend's house for dinner or some people probably go to the nearest pubs for their dinner.


There's a book called Banqueting for One that I cherished ever since my high school days. It's written by Joan Wolfenden [pictured above] whom I greatly admired. Her beautifully handwritten books are a work of art. She's my domestic goddess! There are two books (published in the 1980s) called Banqueting For One (1985) and Feasting with a Fork (1986). Both of these books have been my survival guides for cooking and they are suitable for people who live on their own or people who have a small kitchen. When I was at the university, most of the student accommodation where I stayed had a very small kitchen. It was the most minimal and limited when it came to the kitchen utensil. One would be lucky if one can find a chopping board or a saucepan.


Joan's book, Banqueting for One was very informative and easy to follow. It has got the most basic instruction of how to cut the chicken or how to make a salad. I have got all her books at home and they come in handy when there is a dinner party or looking for an inspiration to cook a quick, easy and delicious meal. It is such a pity that most of her books are now out of print. They are now collectors' items. She was a bit of an eccentric when she was alive. Her marketing style was to fill her fast car with books and take them around booksellers in the South of England making them offers they could not afford to miss.


Every Wednesday, in the memory of my grandparents, I always have a dinner at home. Sometimes, I have a guest but most of the time, I eat on my own. But eating alone is eating with someone you love.

Yesterday, I cooked one of Joan's autumn recipes [Pumpkin soup and Roasted Venison]. I dug out an old vintage LP record of a torch singer, Helen Morgan while I was cooking in the kitchen. The scratchy sound from the scraping of the needle in my record player transported me to another bygone era.


I lit the candles and put the roses into a pottery jug for the table. It was one of the most romantic evenings I've ever spent. It was so relaxing, intimate and self-sufficient.


After the dinner, while I had my coffee, I thought what a beautiful evening I had. And then, I suddenly saw Mouche [in French meaning Fly], the cat sleeping with contentment during Helen Morgan's songs under the crochet blanket. He knows where to find comfort.





5 comments:

  1. Hello ASD:
    We do so agree that lunch or dinner served at a prettily laid table whether eaten alone or with guests is simply one of the most civilised and best things in life. And, how beautiful your table looks with attention paid to every detail, even to the accompanying music, something which we tend to forget! We are quite sure that your grandparents would have totally approved.

    Your wonderful book of handwritten receipts looks perfect. We are not surprised to learn that they are now collector's items. JW sounds to have been a game old girl in her fast car, quite a woman after our own hearts we think.

    And what, dear ASD, did you eat? We absolutely love food but hate being anywhere near the kitchen, so do tell what your menu for the evening was. We are sure that it would have been delicious given the most professional looking cake which we have espied in a previous post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear ASD

    I love your Wednesday tradition of remembering your grandparents and having a very special meal.

    The setting is just beautiful and whatever the dish it definitely tasted good. We do eat with our eyes too.

    Thank you for sharing this special evening with us.

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello ASD,
    I must track down a copy of that book. I often cook for myself alone and I never feel it is too much trouble to make that extra effort - although perhaps I ought to dress up a little more...Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello again ASD:
    Oh, to have joined you at the dinner table!! It all sounds divine!!Pumpkin soup, what could be nicer and Venison delicious! Just recently when we were last in Brighton we had Venison casserole. It is such a warming, cossetting dish for these chilly days.

    And how very interesting this all is about JW. Amazingly, we have never heard of her garden at Bonchurch which sounds absolutely wonderful and just the kind of garden that we love. We must make a foray there one day to investigate further and in the meantime shall try to track down one of her books.

    Thank you so much for going to all the trouble of giving such a detailed reply. Now, every Wednesday evening, we shall imagine the wonderful delicacies you are preparing. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just came overt say hello! An I find your lovely
    writing on dining for alone.
    It reminded me immediately of my grandma, who - widowed since the age of 48 - dined alone many years of her life. She as well had a knack of making it beautiful for herself and although she was not much of a cook delighted us with her stories and a glass of champagne every night. She loved chocolate and deserts, pralines and figs. Something I have inherited from her. I haven't thought of this in a while, thank you for giving me a chance!
    dining for one is culture, since it is what you you do when nobody is looking...

    ReplyDelete

Here is a place set apart from the press of days, where those who linger may find, in quiet company, a measure of solace drawn from nature, art, literature, music, and the deeper currents of thought. It means more than I can say that you pause here, not only to read and look, but to leave behind words that turn these solitary reflections into a shared conversation.