Monday, 23 August 2010

Träume

Françoise Hardy

Listening with half an ear to BBC Radio 3 the other day in my bedroom, I first hear the word “autumn”.I am thoroughly surprised to discover that the summer holidays are over. Yet, there are no signs of autumn yet. The air is still as sweet as apricots. There is no smelling of wet leaves. I opened my curtain the first thing this morning. The trees are still full of leaves. The gardens are blessed with emerging Crown Imperials, blue gentians, Meconoposis, Azalea, fluttering butterflies floating on the breeze and Rock Cresses that look like white lacy tablecloths.In this time of the year, everyone in my neighbourhood has gone away for their last minute holiday, their final attempt to search for the sun.
The gay couple who lives on the top floor had gone away to Spain. They are straight gay men. No one would have noticed they are the two gay men living together because they both are very macho warrior type. They play football. They love sports as much as they love drinking beer. They are good at DIY (once they fixed our ceiling light in the hallway). They mow the lawn and wash the car. They hate opera ("what a noise") and ballet. One can't help but wonder if they are really gay? I suppose there is nothing duller than the reinforcement of a stereotype! Time stands still when you are alone. The empty flat begins to breathe like a deep, long note from a solo cello. When I lean out of my living room window, I can see the tapestry of floating, opalescent flower petals that drift across the sky like confetti with full of colours. This is when I begin to love my simple pleasures in the hush oasis of silence. My footsteps echo in the room, the corridor and the hallway of my flat.
I put on my old favourite song [Françoise Hardy - Träume (Dreams)]. I clean the kitchen, change my bed sheets and do my laundry. I take out all my washing to dry in the garden. The birds are sitting hunched on the arms of the trees and looking wistful. They suddenly stop rehearsing their joyful choruses.

I look at the empty clothes lines, the lonely tracks of a heart that lie before me. I spread out my sheets woven from silence. They billow and rise like the white flags of surrender.

On a Sunday afternoon, there are no noisy pans, rustle of the old cookbook’s pages, barking dogs, crying children, coughing from an old woman who lives across the street. Each flat whispers the air of absence. A pile of letters sits outside in white silent envelopes on the staircase.
Momentarily, my soul starts to explore its peaceful existence... and leaves me alone with words in the room.

pictures credit:
Francoise Hardy, Traume :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mT1h_OXBNI
W. Somerset Maugham at his desk at the Villa Mauresque, Cap Ferrat, 1939
http://www.williamlanday.com/2009/09/11/writers-room-w-somerset-maugham/

9 comments:

  1. Such lovely thoughts and images. By the way have I told you how much I adore your header?

    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like the upstairs boys are "red & blue" men- a term used by Jungian psychologist Graham Jackson (The Secret Lore of Gardening: Patterns of Male Intimacy & The Living Room Mysteries). Personally speaking, I can't imagine life without music, opera and bow ties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the best and I mean that. I follow but seldom comment, I will change my ways and let you know how fabulous you are. And yes your header is out of this world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gorgeous post, ASD. You are a wonderful observer and writer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is something so soothing about watching wet white linen flap about on the line. I find washing machines equally mesmerising and can easily go into a trance sitting on a chair facing the machine's window.

    You've not mentioned the noisy 'bonking' couple above you for ages. Have those clicky clacky stilettos finally stopped?

    Glad you've got lots of new commenters. You so deserve it, you lovely man.

    xx
    J

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Sir, I just realized the portrait in yellow, used by you is in the Houston art museum or at least it used to be. I always loved it, I remember it when I was young and now it's back. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely meditation. So agree with you on the importance of differences. Labels keep us from understanding ourselves and our world. BTW, love those intermezzo moments, between two worlds such as between summer and fall. Between silence and solitude.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ASD, that was absolutely beautiful, I am sure I caught the scent of Autumn today.
    XXX

    ReplyDelete

Here is a place set apart from the press of days, where those who linger may find, in quiet company, a measure of solace drawn from nature, art, literature, music, and the deeper currents of thought. It means more than I can say that you pause here, not only to read and look, but to leave behind words that turn these solitary reflections into a shared conversation.