Friday, 31 October 2025

Coming Soon: As Autumn Fades, I Stay Among the Hills

 


Each year, when the first chill of October brushes the air, I feel the old pull of the mountains—an unspoken summons to return to the Lakeland fells, and most particularly to the Duddon Valley. There is something ancient and instinctive in that longing, as though I were one of the hefted sheep that belong to these hills by memory older than time itself. 



To be hefted, the shepherds say, is to hold to a place without fences; to remain faithful to the land because one’s mother once taught the shape of it through her own quiet wanderings. The thought moves me deeply. Perhaps we, too, carry such unseen maps within us—regions of belonging that no city can erase.

 





Joseph Campbell once reflected on Thomas Mann’s novel, The Magic Mountain:

“The call to adventure is to a land of no return that is absolutely removed from every law and notion of ‘flatland,’ as Mann called it—the business-land, the newspaper-and-ledger land of the hero’s native city. On the flatland, life is reaction; whereas on the timeless mountaintop, there can be fermentation—spontaneity, action as opposed to reaction.”

 



Those words return to me whenever I think of the Duddon. The valley’s stillness feels like that “land of no return,” a realm untouched by the feverish commerce of ordinary life. 

Down in the flatland, the mind is forever reacting; here among the heights, it begins once more to act, to ferment, to breathe in its own rhythm.

 


Soon I shall return to the Duddon, to the country of my heart’s equilibrium. The light will fall slantwise through the valley, gilding the bracken and birch, and the air will carry its mingled scent of woodsmoke, rain, and old stone. 

There, among the folded hills, I hope to recover something of that inner stillness that civilisation so easily frays—the simple, wordless contentment of belonging once more to the earth, as the hefted sheep belong to their fell.

 







This is the quiet time of year, after the tourist tide has ebbed. The valley feels returned to its rightful owners: retired wanderers, daydreamers, lovers of silence. The country inns glow with their romantic fires, offering refuge to those who seek warmth in both body and spirit. 

I take special pleasure in the leisurely lunches served there: steaming soup, hearty bread, the cheerful murmur of conversation softened by rain tapping at the windows.


This coming journal entry will be my attempt to record that spiritual homecoming—the hush that follows the fading light, the inward peace of solitude, and the enduring hope that the soul, weary of the flatlands, may still remember its path to the hills.













As the last leaves fall and All Hallows’ Eve descends, may peace attend your threshold, and may the ghosts that visit be only those of kindly memory.




6 comments:

  1. I like so many things about your post. The land that is calling to you and gives you peace and solace when you return; perhaps your ancestors of centuries ago are from there. The beautiful photos you share. The books, the CD titled Blessed. So much goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Terra,

      How wonderful to see you here again. Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful words. It means so much to know that you found something to enjoy in the post. I’m still working on the next, more complete post with a few more recommendations that I hope you’ll enjoy just as much.

      Jim Brickman’s "Blessed" has been a gentle companion to my mornings lately. There’s such a simple grace in those piano hymns. They seem to carry light into the day before words even begin.

      Thank you again, dear Terra, for taking the time to visit and to leave such a kind message. It’s always a joy to know that these small reflections resonate with kindred spirits like yourself.

      Wishing you a peaceful weekend, filled with quiet comforts and a little beauty to keep close.

      Delete
  2. Darling ASD,

    How well we can imagine your time in the Duddon Valley through these carefully selected images and texts. You conjure up the essence of the place so beautifully that we can imagine ourselves with you, kicking the golden leaves as we go and sharing the warmth of the fire in a cosy tavern. Such simple delights and peace and quiet in order to reflect and nourish the soul. Escapes from the busyness of life are so necessary in these times. which seem to be filled with increasing chaos and conflict.

    We have never made a foray into the parts you highlight here and which seem so very far removed from Devonshire. When young and foolish we imagined the English Lakes to be like the Italian Lakes.....how wrong we were and how much we have missed by not delighting in the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Jane and Lance,

      What a joy it is to hear from you both. Your exquisite words, as ever, bring light and warmth. I’m so glad you joined me, if only in spirit, on this small autumn sojourn to the Duddon Valley. The valley, hemmed by majestic mountains and washed in the deep hues of autumn, felt like a place outside of time. With no internet and no signal, it became a kind of digital Sabbath; a rare gift of silence in which to listen again to the world itself.

      What charmed me most about the Lake District were the old, traditional country inns. Those mellow sanctuaries of another century, with their weathered oak beams, stone hearths, and faint scent of woodsmoke. After a long ramble through the fells, we’d find refuge by the fire, where the crackle of the logs mingled with the clink of pint glasses and the murmur of conversations and "cheers". There’s a romance in those places that feels entirely unmanufactured. The kind of civilised warmth that seeps into one’s bones and lingers long after you’ve stepped back into the evening air.

      Your mention of Devonshire (I've always associated with lush afternoon cream teas!) conjures such lovely imagery too. I can almost picture its winding lanes, old stone cottages, and tea rooms offering scones still warm from the oven, a little touch of England’s enduring romance. One day, I hope to follow your example and explore its extraordinary beauty.

      Thank you, dear friends, for your beautiful comment and for always reading with such warmth, intelligence, and generosity of spirit. You remind me why I cherish this little community so much, scattered though we may be, we share a common love of beauty, reflection, and the graceful things that sustain the heart.

      With warmest wishes and gratitude,
      ASD

      Delete
  3. I've just spent my apres-Halloween morning marveling at and writing down the fabulous evening we had, and then THIS!!! You know I have to take my time and savor each word and photo, so moire non when I've WALLOWED a bit. The colorful SCROLL of the contents has saturated my already-tip-topped brain (from the 400 or so costumes and colours and sheer VERVE of the evening) and I stopped the flutter upon the small, perfect driveway emblazoned the red of A MEMORY. The young woman whose farm was on our CHOSEN group of events way back in 2003 in Scotland was the most perfection of a Scottish lady walking around--from the glorious blaze of her thousand curls and crimson of her jumper---I hoped that she might be poster girl for the whole country---she was that beautifully perfect.

    So I will return to contemplate and absorb and drink in great gulps of your glorious prose and the luscious photographs. HAPPY NOVEMBER!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear R,

      I hope you are doing well. What a delight, as always, to read your exuberant words that seem to shimmer off the page. You have such a gift for painting with language. I could so easily picture that Scottish lady you described — her crimson jumper, those 'glorious' curls like living fire.

      It sounds as though you had a marvellous Halloween. Thank you so much for taking a moment from that whirl of brightness to leave such a generous note here. I’m deeply touched by your kindness, and I treasure the constancy of your visits through the seasons.

      I’m still working on this October piece. Life has been full lately, and our recent trip to England took us deep into a valley where the world of signal and screens fell wonderfully away. It was a blissful kind of solitude, a chance to recharge and listen to the natural sound of the countryside. I hope that when you return to visit again, the complete post will be ready.

      After without internet for a while, I'm slowly catching up with my reading (yours among the blogs I’ve missed most), and I so look forward to visiting again soon.

      Wishing you a peaceful, golden November, and time to savour all its abundance.

      Delete

Here is a place set apart from the press of days, where those who linger may find, in quiet company, a measure of solace drawn from nature, art, literature, music, and the deeper currents of thought. It means more than I can say that you pause here, not only to read and look, but to leave behind words that turn these solitary reflections into a shared conversation.