August is marked by the gatherings of harvest: fairs laid out with pyramids of apples, glistening jars of honey, roots pulled fresh from the soil and still carrying its damp, sweet scent.
Men drive in with tractors polished as though they were proud beasts set loose for a parade, their machines half-practical, half-symbolic of another year endured.
Children tug at their mothers’ sleeves, eyes fixed on bright confections, while the farmers speak in their low, steady tones of weather, yield, and time. There is little ostentation here; the abundance is not a spectacle, but a reassurance that the covenant between land and hand has held.
I drift among them, both participant and observer. Their harvest is tangible,
rooted; mine is of impressions, of fleeting lights and expressions, gathered
like seeds I hope one day will bear fruit in words or in colour.
Yet this month, my body betrays me. The dust of harvest fields has found its way into my lungs. Asthma confines me to pillows, upright in uneasy comfort, while the cerulean sky outside calls me towards the road I know so well, lined with hedgerows that seem to recognise me each time I return.
I long for the simple act of walking down
it in my old tweed jacket, breathing the coolness of the air once the dust has
settled. Illness denies me, and I am left with restlessness and reflection.
It was then my thoughts turned again to Velázquez’s Christ in the House of Martha and Mary. I saw, in memory, the sturdy girl, Martha, bent over her mortar, crushing garlic with absorbed yet restless energy; beside her, the elder woman, her face lined with experience, offering counsel with an air of sober composure. And beyond them, caught in the reflective glass, the quiet figure of Christ, seated, while Mary knelt at his feet in an attitude of still and reverent attention.
![]() |
| Image credit: Kitchen Scene with Christ in the House of Martha and Mary by Diego Velázquez (1599–1660), probably 1618, from The National Gallery, London. |
The whole scene lingers in my mind with the weight of its symbolism. How often I have felt myself in Martha’s posture, troubled with tasks, uneasy at the thought of wasted hours, restless to prove the worth of each passing day. In Velázquez’s painting, Martha bends over her work with visible disquiet, while Mary sits quietly, attentive, her figure reflected in the small mirror that deepens the composition.
The composition is drawn from the passage in Luke (10:38-42) where Martha, wearied by labour, complained of Mary to Christ, and the reply was given: “Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things. But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.”
The reply is not
harsh, but steadying, and it lingers like a gentle counsel to those who measure
worth only in ceaseless motion, suggesting that the truest labour may lie not
in activity without rest, but in the discipline of stillness, the humility of attention.
Perhaps illness, unwelcome as it is, presses me nearer to Mary’s place than I
would ever have gone of my own choosing.
There is another solace in these days of stillness. G’s Early Grey Banana Cake, baked each year during the harvest season, rests on the plate before me with gentle familiarity. Its aroma mingles with the warmth of the late afternoon sun.
A cup
of Early Grey tea he brought sits beside it, dark and fragrant, and I sip
slowly, drawing from it a quiet restoration. In these simple offerings of
sweetness and care, the world feels momentarily hospitable, and I am permitted,
for a short while, to dwell in the quiet pleasure of small attentions, as
though the hours themselves bend in kindness towards me.
As I lie there, I cannot help but consider what it is to be an artist. Must one carry a thick skin, impervious to criticism, or a thin one, sensitive to the smallest tremors of beauty and pain? I suspect both are required.
To endure rejection without surrender, and yet to remain porous enough to feel the quiet miracle of light upon water, the soft exhaustion in the faces at the farmers’ market, the flight of geese written in the dusk.
Robert Henri’s words return to me with force: “Don’t worry about the rejections. Everybody that’s good has gone through it… The better or more personal you are the less likely they are of acceptance… It is all very fine to have your pictures hung, but you are painting for yourself, not for the jury.”
(The Art Spirit, Robert Henri, 1923)
Perhaps then the
artist must accept a paradox: to be wounded, and yet endure; to be dismissed,
and yet persist; to remain vulnerable without forfeiting strength. Illness
itself teaches something of this balance. My lungs falter, but my gaze
sharpens. What is denied in motion is granted in perception.
Thus August, with
its mingling of abundance and retreat, of vitality and frailty, writes its own
lessons. It teaches me that rest is not waste, but a form of labour as
essential as any harvest.
Like Mary in the painting by Velazquez, who sat quietly and let the world unfold around her, one discovers in stillness the subtle pulse of life—the faint stirring of air, the sway of golden harvest fields, the whispered motions that too often pass unnoticed.
The tractors return to barns, the sea cools into night. I, too, must learn to accept stillness as part of the rhythm, and trust that the work continues, even when I am still.

“The discipline of stillness”. Your artistic abilities, your beautiful words and lovely home are inspirational. I suffer with lupus and I am having a lot of physical challenges. I am frustrated because I can no longer tend to my garden because of the smoke from the Canadian wildfires, our drought conditions and extreme temperatures here in Michigan. But your post made me reflect on my blessings. Thank you so much. You made my day.
ReplyDeleteHello, and thank you most sincerely for your kind words. I was deeply touched by your message. I am so sorry to hear of the physical challenges you are facing, and the difficulties brought by both illness and the harsh changes in climate. It must be disheartening to feel separated from your garden, that space which so often brings solace. Please accept my heartfelt sympathy; I can only imagine how challenging such days must sometimes be.
DeleteWe too are reminded of nature’s severity here. Only this month, Storm Floris swept through, and many of the apples in our garden were shaken down before their time. These small losses bring home to us the larger truth of the changing world we share. And yet, as you wrote so wisely, even in such times there remain blessings to be seen.
I have often thought of Michigan in autumn as a place of rare beauty, with its flaming colours and crisp skies. Though I have never visited America, I have long admired your country and its music, art, culture and literature, and one day I hope to see it for myself. I dream especially of Mackinac Island in the season when lilacs are in bloom.
Thank you once more for writing. It means so much to welcome you into this small circle of kindred spirits. May you find moments of rest and restoration, even in the midst of challenge.
My dear friend,
ReplyDeleteall my best wishes that you will be getting better soon - you are brave how you endure being ill!
Autumn comes with quick steps - I see the same picture here: the farmers are out with huge monster-trucks (if they come while I walk on a small trail without them wavering or signs of stopping I sometimes take fright of them - and when they have passed, the farmer waving friendly his hand, I am glad).
The beautiful surprise when I came back from Toscana on Sunday: I found out that quite a lot of apples here are ripe - and we have a lot of meadow orchards where farmers put up a sign: "Pluck me!" (you don't have to pay anything).
Clarice Lispector is totally unknown to me (I see that it is a translation, will ask "Wiki" later) - it sounds very interesting!
"Connecting with another human" - it is one of my problems at the moment, but honestly: the imminent move from Berlin to Bavaria is the most burdensome problem now. I did it: I gave notice to quit - so a big dark cloud of work confronts me - but I will (and have to) survive :-)
Your photos are, as always, so beautiful! When the Angst of moving-work threatens to overpower me I look at those beautiful pictures - and I feel serene for a moment and am very thankful for a pause.
I wish that you recover soon and send you strength, and hope you will be able to enjoy at least a part of glowing autumn in a better condition .
My kind regards, Britta
My dear Britta,
DeleteWhat a joy it is to hear from you, and I hope that Tuscany left you with many gentle memories to sustain you through the busier days now ahead. Thank you so much for your kind wishes. I am slowly on the mend, though with severe asthma recovery asks for patience. The harvest season brings its own challenges with dust in the air, so I have had to slow my pace, to rest more, and to practise my breathing when evening quiets the fields.
Thank you so much for sharing your decision to leave Berlin for Bavaria. What a momentous step, and one I know has long been in your thoughts. It takes both courage and imagination to reshape one’s life in this way, and you have shown both in abundance. There will, of course, be moments of burden in the process of moving, but I hope you will keep in mind the promise of what awaits: the nearness of the countryside, the beauty of Bavaria, and, most of all, the joy of being closer to your family and grandchildren. This is a new chapter, and I have no doubt you will fill it with adventure and meaning.
As for Clarice Lispector, I feel sure her work would speak to you. 'A Breath of Life' remains my favourite—her sentences are like fragments of pure longing, dense yet luminous, never quite like anyone else’s. Some have compared her to Woolf, but I find her utterly singular. There is something of a mystical current running through her words, though never ornamental for ornament’s sake.
Thank you again for your message and for your kindness. May the transition ahead be as smooth as possible, and may you be carried by the assurance that what lies before you will be rich with its own blessings.
One moment in time---stolen from a downstairs dash to set two fat golden corn ears into the microwave, and caught unawares with that golden field stretching to the THERE of all ages. My eyes make that enormous trencher a centuries-past loaf from a giant's vast smelter, smuggled into the coals between gold-melt and red-sparked pour. The table set for guests holds tumblers worthy of a Brobdignagian thirst, and the golden crumbs from the slicing await the dripping joints and their jus. What a feast to behold in my imagineye, and richer than those sumptuous viands will be the stories and sagas to flutter the candles and torches. CORDADH!!
ReplyDeleteMy dear R,
DeleteWhat a delight it is to read your message. You have such a remarkable gift for seeing the extraordinary in the ordinary and giving it voice. I was especially impressed by your knowledge of the farm vehicles and what they are used for—you bring both imagination and insight to every observation. Your words made me pause and smile, as if I were sharing that fleeting moment with you.
I must also confess that I have owed you a message for some time, and I am glad at last to take a quiet moment to write. I have been resting these past days, recovering from persistent coughs stirred by my asthma, though I am feeling much better now. The evenings grow cooler, the mornings darker, and I find myself leaning into the quiet rhythm of August, that delicate threshold between summer and autumn.
Thank you for your generosity of spirit. It means so much to me. Your words bring a lightness to my day, and I carry the warmth of them with me as the season shifts and the harvest settles.
Another moment in time, Sunday afternoon musings from TEN years ago this week---I had just had a little "Kitchen Reveal" party after many months of carpentry/mason/plumber/watt-men traipsing through my downstairs. And YOU were in the throes of quite some improvements yourself:
Delete"A big HELLO! Thank you so much for your delightful message. Your kindness and friendship mean a lot to me. It is most charming to see that you are still here, writing away your beautiful recollections and a day in the life at Lawn Tea which are absolutely a treat! I hope all your baking for your Pink Kitchen Viewing party this weekend is going well. I have been catching up with your blog posts and it is such a co-incidence that you were also doing a different type of renovation work about the same time as I was putting on a new roof and cementing and repairing all the stone works outside my house. I'm loving the pink colour of your new kitchen. Now, my dear, coconut cake sounds utterly delicious. It's one of my favourite cakes. Have a good weekend. Yours ever, ASD x"
And now, as you have more stone work progressed, and I survey the devastation of WIRING THE WHOLE HOUSE, expecting the last ministrations of Julio alone tomorrow, to correct the wattage of my trusty kitchen light panel from LED flickers (I swear, it looks just like looking UP at those tiny strips you walk past in movie theatres) to my trusty robust fluorescents.
As the years turn---We've got to stop meeting like this.
My dear R,
DeleteHow lovely to hear from you! It is quite a coincidence that we are both immersed in our house projects at the same time. I can still recall the sheer amount of dust I endured during the first stone pointing of my house, and reading your words brought back so many memories of that season of upheaval and effort.
Thank you for sharing your reflections and those little snapshots of your kitchen reveal. Your kind heart, your wit, and your beautiful words are truly a tonic to my soul. It is a joy to be reminded of our shared understanding of the trials and triumphs of home renovations, and your generosity in recounting these moments fills me with warmth and gratitude.
Blessings to you, dear R, and may your home continue to be a place of light, laughter, and cherished memories.