The origin of
painting, according to the Pliny the Elder, was born out of the fear of losing
love. There is a painting tilted The Origin of Painting by the Scottish
artist, David Allan (1744-1796) at the national gallery in Edinburgh. It tells
a story of a Corinthian girl who traced the outline of her lover’s shadow on
the wall before he went into battle so that she can keep the likeness, a
silhouette or an outline of her lover.
![]() |
The
Origin of Painting
('The Maid of Corinth') by David Allan, oil on panel (1775), National Gallery
of Scotland, Edinburgh. |
Autumn days are similar to that silhouetted portrait by the Corinthian maiden, representing an outline and a curve of life that is close to perfection.
The days are brief but the colours are dazzling and unforgettable. From russet to oxblood, from brown to burnished bronze, from ochre to deep dark green, the leftover summer’s shade turns into a full spectrum of the colour wheel. It is reminiscent of a sunburst where no two colours are alike; each one radiates a range of shades. It is mesmerising.
There is softness in the quality of light at this time of the year especially after a sunny shower. It is the colour of tarnished gold just like Allan’s delicate rendering of light in the dark room, creating nuances of warm tones.
“Nature’s peace
will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own
freshness…and the storms their energy.” ~ John Muir, The Scottish Naturalist ~ |
| The summer is over and here comes crisp autumn...frosty mornings by the hearthside, inhaling smell of wood smoke and remembering forgotten autumns... |
The glow of amber
at the twilight is like an ode to tranquillity. It is serene and subtle, and it
possesses hypnotic charm like a lamplight shinning in the windows. It seems to
make time stand still. Like the Corinthian girl in the painting, I hope that I
manage to capture these glorious days of autumn before they are gone.
An Autumn Pastoral,
François Boucher (1703–1770) The Wallace Collection
| In a tranquil garden corner...the sea air is pure, cool and bracing and the scenery is pristine. It is like a tonic for a lost soul. |
One of the functions of portraiture is to record an individual’s temporal presence to make it more permanent and to preserve the memory of the individual. Capturing these autumn days in my journal is an act of preservation too.
| Welcome to my haven, my Eden on the sea, with David Austin Roses. |
It is
what Professor Daryl O’ Connor, from the University of Leeds, called “positive
memories”. His new psychological research shows that focussing on positive
memories can help people who have previously been depressed feel happier.
When I come to think of it, this entire blog has been about “positive memories”, a place where I can console myself with perfect equanimity and forget all the torments and tribulations. It is a humbling experience to know that my positive memories are also helping others who read this blog. I am touched by this ripple effect.
You are welcomed to come in here for a pause, a quiet reflection or a breathing space whenever you wish and my hope is that when you leave, you leave with positive memories and shimmering lightness.
| A friendly neighbour's cat - a sun-worshipper |
Autumn brings a new insight and growth to be able to say: “This too shall pass” no matter how many problems and hardships we are facing in this world. No matter how carefully we lead our lives, we all encounter storms (both real and metaphorical) from time to time.
I remember the motto of Dr Kurt Hahn, a German educationalist and the founder of Gordonstoun, a prestigious school in Scotland where King Charles and his father, the late Duke of Edinburgh were both educated. Dr Hahn, a Jewish man, came to Scotland from Salem after fleeing from the Nazi.
Dr Hahn gave his school
the motto, “Plus est en vous” meaning - there is more to you than you realise,
the challenges you meet are there to reveal to yourself and others the riches
that lie within, unexpected.
| I'm looking for a harvest gift at my favourite gift shop, The House of Farnell, to give to my friends who are coming to have a harvest dinner. |
![]() |
| Image credit: House of Farnell |
| I brought this wreath home with me to hang it on the door as a gift of an everlasting welcome. |
Although King Charles once described the environment of Gordonstoun quite demanding for a sensitive soul like him, he later paid tribute to the school’s teachings.
He
said: “It was only tough in the sense that it demanded more of you as an
individual than most other schools did – mentally and physically. I am lucky in
that I believe it taught me a great deal about myself and my own abilities and
disabilities. It taught me to accept challenges and take the initiative.”
Amidst all the
tribulations, whatever is gnawing away in our hearts and souls, which may
challenge or derail our expectations and put us beyond our comfort zones,
please know that we are not doomed to be unhappy forever because “this too
shall pass” and “plus est en vous” (there is more to you than you realise).
| A harvest gift to my friends |
These mottoes bring comfort to me and I shall hold on to them in this autumn.
| A table setting for our harvest dinner with dear hearts and gentle people. I want the table to look a heartfelt harvest, laden with nature's abundance and treasures for the souls and the senses. |
G. made a timeless coastal favourite dish - Lobster Thermidor as the main dish, served with chips. Unforgettable feast fresh from the ocean.
| G's dessert course is always sublime and generous. He made a delectable banoffee pie - this irresistible treat hit the spot! |
Numinous describes
things having a mysterious or spiritual quality. |
Houses live and
die: there is a time for building
And a time for
living and for generation
And a time for the
wind to break the loosened pane
And to shake the
wainscot where the field-mouse trots
And to shake the
tattered arras woven with a silent motto.
T.S. Eliot, “Four Quartets” (Part II: East Coker)
~ Noteworthy ~
“How is one to live a moral and compassionate existence when one is fully aware of the blood, the horror inherent in life, when one finds darkness not only in one’s culture but within oneself? If there is a stage at which an individual life becomes truly adult, it must be when one grasps the irony in its unfolding and accepts responsibility for a life lived in the midst of such paradox. One must live in the middle of contradiction, because if all contradiction were eliminated at once life would collapse. There are simply no answers to some of the great pressing questions. You continue to live them out, making your life a worthy expression of leaning into the light.”
― Barry Lopez, Arctic
Dreams: Imagination and desire in a northern landscape (1986)
~ Noteworthy ~
“...as the day broke she divined rather than saw a scene of such breath-taking loveliness that for a brief period the anguish of her heart was assuaged. It reduced to insignificance all human tribulation. The sun rose, dispelling the mist, and she saw winding onwards as far as the eye could reach, among the rice-fields, across a little river and through undulating country the path they were to follow: perhaps her faults and follies, the unhappiness she had suffered, were not entirely vain if she could follow the path that now she dimly discerned before her, not the path that kind funny old Waddington had spoken of that led nowhither, but the path those dear nuns at the convent followed so humbly, the path that led to peace.”
~ The Painted Veil by Maugham, W. Somerset (1921) ~ The last paragraph.
| ~ Happy Halloween ~ |


A gorgeous tribute to my favorite season. You set lovely tables, too. Happy Halloween, dear ASD.
ReplyDeleteMy dear E,
DeleteHappy Halloween to you and Mercy. I hope you are both enjoying the autumn and may your Halloween be all treats and no tricks!!
Hello, my dear friend! I am overwhelmed by your beautiful photos, the inspiration of that gorgeous decor and those books - thank you so very much!
ReplyDeleteYou might have seen my musing about whether I should give up further writing my blog - I have so many different things that are pulling at my energy: my triplet grand-children (so adorable!), my travelling between the pastorale here and the hustle in Berlin, (and there waits my huge flat with rented 187 qm in a house from 1902 - that will be maintained when I'm there, and the triplets always asking: "When are you back, Nana??", although I go only for a small week in each month. Added two weeks holiday in Provence with the Flying Dutchman, and now am working again on a manuscript that I put away for a while - you see: I needed a rest, but now I feel better and more energetic.
And your beautiful blog is so inspiring, and the joy to read and look at it is always a big source of energy - thank you! Britta
Thank you for your kind words today. I feel gutted.
ReplyDeleteI'm thinking of you and Mercy. There are things that we can rely on...friendship and love are most important things of all. Whatever it is that gives you peace and solace, embrace it. I hope that this little paragraph (the final passage from "Middlemarch" by George Eliot will put some bounce back in your and my step. I'll do in my own small and "unhistoric acts" by extending love and compassion.
Delete"But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs."
The closing line from George Eliot's Middlemarch
I'll remember this and do my best to pass on the love and compassion to others.
DeleteThanks for your sweet message, my dear E. I hope you and Mercy are both doing well. You are in my thoughts. I'm doing the same as there are countless ways we could extend our loving-kindness, by bringing greater open-heartedness and humanness into our everyday dealings with people and helping others who are in a worse shape than we are. I hope that it will heal our divisions and bring renewal in our society at large. We just have to keep going in the right direction and we will get where we need to be. Have a peaceful week.
DeleteThis too shall pass.., an appropriate sentiment that I have written more than once in response to bemused friends today (US election results) and earnestly hope it stays as true an aphorism as ever.
ReplyDeleteYour blog has always had a certain sense of nostalgia about it - but that is no bad thing - for are not positive memories one of our greatest joys?
Take care.
Thank you very much Mark for your kind comment. I just discovered your message that had been sitting in the wrong folder instead of my pending folder. I enjoyed reading your latest post about Oscar and the gift of presence that he brings to you. I hope you are doing well.
DeleteI am sorry not to have posted on my blog for so long. I have been very ill and only now feel more able to use a keyboard - albeit on a phone! But I have been reading and it helps to see me through. Today I am posting similar comments on many favourite blogs I have read. From a hospital in France…
DeleteMy dear M,
DeleteI'm very sorry to hear that you've been unwell in France. I hope that you are well looked after by the medical staff in France. A friend who lives in France once told me that her doctor has not only the best bedside manner but also old-fashioned courtly manner. He would say goodbye to her with a bow and a hand-kissing gesture. I hope that you are, like my friend in France, in good hands. Love and compassion goes a long way and they are healing agents in themselves and love in all forms is a miracle. I send you all my best wishes for your speedy recovery and may the guardian angel watch over you and may the star of Christmas shine brightly in your heart. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I wish you joy and peace and good health and love in the coming year, and may all your holiday wishes come true. Get well soon.
I was hoping you would pen a holiday or winter post. Happy Christmas!
ReplyDeleteMy dear E,
DeleteI hope you and Mercy are both doing well. I've gone quiet lately because I've left the preparations for Christmas until the last minute. So, at the moment, I’ve been caught up in the whirl of Christmas, still doing a lot of shopping, decorating and delivering gifts to the nearest and dearest. I've started a post and then, I've been diverted by the distractions. I hope you are having a good week as we lead up to Christmas. I'm sending you and Mercy all my warmest wishes for Christmas. May all your holidays be merry and bright and may you both be blessed in every way this holiday. May all your dreams and wishes come true in the New Year.