My journal writing has taught me to distinguish between what is worth remembering, knowing, seeing, pondering and etching into my heart and what is of no more than passing thoughts, arising and passing away like waves in the ocean. It has also taught me to count my blessings and appreciate the common things of life and see nature as if I was seeing it for the first time.
| It is the nature of the strong heart, that like the palm tree it strives ever upwards when it is most burdened. ~ Sir Philip Sidney ~ |
One day when I grow old and weary and the sea, the sky, the clouds and the mountains turn away from me, I shall look back to these pages of my journals and they might give me back the innocent eye of my youth and gratitude for the beautiful past times I have had.
As always, I look forward to what is coming soon. Happy to know you are well and enjoying the summer.
ReplyDeleteThank you very much my dear E for visiting me. I hope you are having a good summer. May all your summer days be filled with happiness and smile.
DeleteYou are absolutely right - it is, I think, one of the key purposes of journal writing and sketch books. When I look back at my sketches I can remember the moment, the feeling, the hand connecting to brain and senses... painting even more so than with words. It is why these ebooks are more evocative than photos too.
ReplyDeleteDear Mark, I agree that the sketch book of an artist reveals so much about the artist and the way he or she approaches the visible world. I think that the late John Berger said something along the line of the painting reveals the subject that the viewers are looking at whereas, a sketch reveals the artist. I hope all is well with you.
DeleteOne quiet moment in a week of frenzied preparation for a long-anticipated event: A week with our eldest GRANDDAUGHTER, who is on her way up that long interstate from Florida. Hoping your plans and ideas and hopes for the week come true and real. Ours should be lively, with sleepovers and meals together, and the two local girls in on all the fun. What a time, a long time coming, and our first visitor since COVID, and our first moment together since her Ganner passed away. Bittersweet and vivid, these times. Be well, Faraway Friend.
ReplyDeleteMy dear R, I'm absolutely delighted to hear that you are having a reunion. I hope you have the most wonderful time with your eldest granddaughter. I know that there will be plenty of memorable southern hospitality on offer. Good luck with all your preparations. Thank you so much for coming to visit me, my dear friend, during your busy week. Let all thy joys be as the month of July!
Delete