Sunday, 7 February 2016

Winter To The Core


In the chilly month of February, the countryside is absolutely destitute of flowers. The bleak, monotony of landscape that surrounds us is slowly getting on our nerves and spirits. A sky lark outside the window warbles a sad, parting song during the day and at night, it takes a refuge among the branches in the leafless woods. The wood stove in the back room is lit and I sit on the chair with a book near the stove and listen to the choral music, one of my favourite albums, Dreams All Too Brief: English Partsongs performed by St. Martin's Chamber Choir, conducted by Timothy J. Krueger. 
One of my favourite winter warmers, the choral music - Dreams All Too Brief: English Partsongs performed by St. Martin's Chamber Choir , conducted by Timothy J. Krueger.
During the rainy days, one begins to feel like an invalid who has been debarred from the benefit of the outside world by not being able to leave his room. The mechanic pacing to and fro indoors, the draughts and stagnant chilliness become irksome and the discontented soul longs for the blue Mediterranean sea and the exotic smell of cinnamon that one remembers on a sunny day in Sari Lanka.   


There is a sense of indescribable stillness and a sense of incubation during the winter months. The wind from the sea is penetrating although the local villagers prefer to call it “bracing”. Some mental occupation such as quiet reading, writing, listening to the wireless and creative activities are required to keep one’s mind occupied and to make sure that one suffers less ennui in the colourless world of winter. Many who have not moral energy enough to live the confined, ascetic life in the countryside for the winter months, might neutralise their state of torpor by going out shopping, meeting friends for lunch in cafes or going to the gymnasiums.    

For my retail therapy, I prefer going to a farm shop near the outskirts of the peaked hills. This is where I purchase all my food, bread, meat and vegetables that would last me for a few weeks.

All the fruits and vegetables come straight from the farm. The colours of fruits and vegetables all tumbled together and the shelves are piled high with all the fresh produce which looks tender, sweet and succulent.....  





A quaint gypsy caravan parks outside of the farm shop


The smell of preserve, jam and marmalade is the best of winter...


There is something magical about the car journey going up from the wet, windswept lowlands to the frost-hardened roads among the dryness of the bare mountains in the highlands. The irregularities of hills are softened while they catch the sunbeams under the cobalt blue skies. The pine trees are heavy with the morning dews that hang on the branches like icicles. With a gliding motion, we pass through the pine forests on the mountain side in the car.
We notice the sudden change in the colour of the trees from a curious green to the shade of dark indigo. The journey is like sailing through alternate tracts of light blending all hues into iridescent colours. The air is dry and singularly soothing.  All is so silent, still and nothing happens to disturb the atmosphere except the sound of the stream and the drowsy tinkling of the bells at the necks of the Highland cattle.

The smell of freshly cut pine trees fills the air...The air is dry and singularly soothing.

 
 
On my way back home, I saw a man parachuting in the sky and his whole body was floating in the wind with ineffable lightness and grace. I remember a beautiful passage from a poem by Gerard Manley Hopkins when he describes a falcon, “The Windhover”, flying high up in the sky:

Of the rolling level underneath him steady air, and striding
 High there, how he rung upon the rein of a wimpling wing
In his ecstasy! then off, off forth on swing.
 ...the hurl and gliding
 Rebuffed the big wind.

 
The poem not only ends with the echoes of chivalric heroism but also the weighty reminder that the chance of falling from power is much greater than attaining the power.    

Brute beauty and valour and act, oh, air, pride, plume, here 
  Buckle! AND the fire that breaks from thee then, a billion        
Times told lovelier, more dangerous, O my chevalier! 

  No wonder of it: shéer plód makes plough down sillion 
Shine, and blue-bleak embers, ah my dear, 
  Fall, gall themselves, and gash gold-vermillion.
“The Windhover” (Gerard Manley Hopkins)

On the other side of the sky, the sun was departing (the sun sets around about 3 o’ clock in the afternoon this time of the year); in a matter of minutes the mountains were flushing with afterglow, suffusing their heathers and pine trees with pink and violet colours, the stationary flames of sunset. Then, the whole illumination faded like magic.
 

6 comments:

  1. Ancient of days comes to mind looking at your drive. And, my god, what a fabulous store to shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Donna,

      Thanks for your recommendation of Ancient of days. I believe you mean this as video artwork by Bill Viola. I greatly admire his works. I recently saw his work at the art gallery and I was spellbound by it.

      The farm shop is indeed a great shop and it is good to know that the food that one buys from this shop comes from the local farmers who need our local support (large or small) as they are struggling especially after all the worst flooding they endured during this year's winter months. I hope you are having a good week. Thank you so much for your comments.

      Delete
  2. You are one lucky gentleman---great surroundings, fresh rather than shrink-wrapped fruit and veg and a lot of other wonderful things, including the scenery. Thanks for letting your readers tag along. It is always a pleasure.

    PS: I need that cookery book!

    Best to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear e,

      I think that every house should have Darina Allen's book, "Forgotten Skills of Cooking" (it weigh like a ton - contains 600 pages) because it is very informative and it's our modern version of Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management.

      With warmest wishes, ASD

      Delete
  3. I see no "bleak monotony," but that may be my faraway perspective, or my lifelong romance with the place, fantasized for decades as The Place To Be. Indeed, that first picture so captivated me that I just gazed rapt for ever so long, for the colours and the depths and the incised perspectives made it closest thing to looking into my childhood ViewMaster at those 3-D delights.

    Such beauty in the Winter, and such a drive to behold, and then the charming shop with all the vegetables au naturel for the taking.

    I did Youtube the music, and twice during the reading and looking, I returned to Dreams All Too Brief, for another helping as background. Simply delicious, every sip, every swallow, and I WILL NOT reiterate my idea that I should have been born where you live. I have treasure overflowing here, and place can be had for the passage, so I'll just await our next yen to travel.

    We've been out photographing a bit today, ourselves, despite the gray skies and CHILL. A dear niece in grade school has sent us a Flat Stanley paper-doll (see http://aschell.pbworks.com/f/1328579311/Stanley%202.jpg .

    Children make them, send them to friends and relatives, and have them photographed in places native to the locale---ours is the Indy 500 Speedway, the Colts stadium, the Pacers Stadium, the enormous block-wide memorial fountain and monument in the perfect center of the city. Chill sleety stuff drove us home right after lunch, so moire non of that, for we're ensconced in our cluttered-after-yesterday house (we had the Kiddos over for our 3rd Annual Un-Super Bowl party, in which we ate dizzying amounts of "football food" and played board games all afternoon, so everyone could get home for the game at their own homes.

    We watched for the first time in history, for we're not at all sports fans, and were it not for the triple-closeness we feel to Peyton, we'd not have cared about it. But my Daddy knew his Daddy in Mississippi, not far from where I grew up, and then he was here as a member of our own Colts team for quite a few years, doing all sorts of wonderful charitable things for the city---especially in building several wings on the Chilredn's Hospital. He's such a kind, generous, humble young man, and rumours of his retiring after this game have been rampant. And completing your 200th lifetime win at the 50th Super Bowl would be an excellent moment to Exit Stage Right, don't you think? So the confluence of all those culminations and pinnacles sent us to the TV for such an auspicious occasion.

    Stay warm, my Faraway Friend, in your cozy nook with the wood-stove, the books, the comfy chair---such retreat has also a price above rubies.

    r

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Rachel,

      I am absolutely delighted to hear from you. My dear, your heart is definitely in the highlands. If there is such thing as a past life, I believe you were probably a genteel lady living in the manor house somewhere in the Royal Deeside area of Scotland (very close to Balmoral Castle where her Majesty the Queen Victoria took her summer residence).

      I am so glad to hear that you listen to "Dreams All Too Brief" album by St Martins Chamber Choir (conducted by T. J. Krueger) on youtube and you also love the choral music. I felt that I had to mention this music in this post because very few people know about it. The music is utterly divine and it is singularly soothing. Whenever I listen to it, my heartbeats slow down and it takes me away to another world by the celestial beauty of music.

      How wonderful to hear that you had been busy with all sorts of creativity; photography and making paper dolls. I heard about the big celebration of Super Bowl 50 in your country. It is a positive thing that sports do bring people and communities together. It is a very patriotic thing, of course. I am utterly hopeless in sports (the only thing I am good at is croquet but then, one can hardly call croquet a sport...although it can be very competitive. I have seen a vicar having a temper tantrum during a croquet match!!).

      With my very best wishes, ASD

      PS. Many thanks for the link you sent. I shall take a look at it.

      Delete

Here is a place set apart from the press of days, where those who linger may find, in quiet company, a measure of solace drawn from nature, art, literature, music, and the deeper currents of thought. It means more than I can say that you pause here, not only to read and look, but to leave behind words that turn these solitary reflections into a shared conversation.