It was one of those days on which pale bands of
suffused blue lie across the silver film that covers the sky, and it is almost
impossible to say whether the sun will rise at an estimated time or not. Some intuition
prompted me to go up to the brae amongst the desolate fields. The sea is shaped
like a liquid blue, set like a gem, a sapphire, in a matrix of surrounding
streaks of sooty grey. Here I am, alone to witness the deep peace of the winter
morning. The peace of nature is undisturbed except the occasional sounds of the leaves and the chestnuts crackling under my feet. Humanity
is no longer in agitation nor hail-storm of affliction. Life goes very placidly
in these hours of the morning. I drink the stillness and the divine solitude of
the winter at dawn. It is the hour of sanctity.
The old year has ended and the New Year has begun
when the sun slowly creeps up from the sea with its rich gold, like a new
shining medallion, with its ever increasing distinctness from the sky, drawing
out every tint of rosy gold, green and crimson red. The green hills stand out
indistinctly, blurred with the thinnest line of dim purple along their summits.
Now and then the gulls make flickering specks of brightness when their wings
touch on the facets of moving sea water; it sparkles like reawakening stars. I
could spend for many hours meditating on the joy of existence and the perfect
relation of man to nature, each completing the charm of the other.
I invited Gordon and his friends for a quiet dinner
party in the evening for Hogmanay. I thought it would be nice to break the
tradition of having dinner and watching the annual New Year’s Day popular concert
with Vienna Philharmonic orchestra on TV this year.
Gordon suggested that he
could bring a DVD of a recital concert with Renée Fleming, recorded at the legendary Goldener
Saal (Golden Hall) of the Musikverein Vienna. I am very grateful to Gordon for
suggesting this idea. I have never seen Renée Fleming performing live although
I have acquired a few CDs of her and I’ve always loved her voice. Gordon said
to me once that Renée Fleming is “an adagio singer!” Certainly, all her songs
selection for this recital concert is predominantly reflective in mood.
![]() |
| Image credit: A Recital with Renée Fleming: Vienna at the Turn of the 20th Century Blu-ray Review (from here) |
It is one of the most elegant concerts I have ever
seen. The Golden Hall of the Musikverein in
Vienna is a well known concert hall for its acoustics. The music, the voice, the poetry, and the sumptuous
golden interiors of the hall will delight and entrance the epicures. The audience who attended this concert was slightly different from
the glamorous crowd who favours popular and predictable waltzes at the annual
New Year’s Day concert. They looked more cultured and serious (one could hear a pin drops
during this concert) and they had an air of noli me tangere. They seemed to be the type of audience who appears, at least on the surface of their manners, more comfortable in listening to rarely-heard, esoteric
art songs without looking at their programmes and wondering whether they should clap
now or wait. Both the performers and the audience were lost in the transient
blisses of the music like the captivated children listening to the ancient
folklores before their bedtime in the midsummer moonlight.
![]() |
| Image Credit: A Recital with Renée Fleming: Vienna at the Turn of the 20th Century Blu-ray Review (from here) |
Renée sings mainly German lieder (songs) written by
Hugo Wolf, Gustav Mahler, Arnold Schoenberg, Richard Strauss and Alexander
Zemlinsky. At the end of the concert, one is left with a wistful and delightful
feeling of a delicate evocation of former times. One also feels that this
concert must be intensely personal to the singer in the way she renders the
songs, in most cases the words are of equal importance to the music, many of
our greatest poets are represented in these songs, with emotion and
intelligence.
![]() |
| Image Credit: A Recital with Renée Fleming: Vienna at the Turn of the 20th Century Blu-ray Review (from here) |
I shall always remember a new discovery I made from this concert which is the most charming operetta song by Erich Wolfgang Korngold called Frag’ mich Oft (trans. I often wonder), audio clip here, a pre-war song from Walzer aus Wien, first performed at the Stadttheater in Vienna on 30 October 1930. I fell in love with this sentimental and patriotic song and the meaningful lyrics although a fastidious music critic from The Telegraph dismisses this beautiful song when he writes: “a Johann Strauss pastiche and a sort of high-class Viennese answer to Maybe it’s Because I’m a Londoner.”
As long as
there are gentlemen in Vienna,
As long as
there are Viennese Melodies,
As long as
the Prater is in bloom,
As long as
there is Viennese song:
Even if a
lot changes with time,
One thing
always remains:
Viennese
coziness.
That’s why
I’m so in love with Vienna,
That’s why I’m
so happy
To be a Viennese.
(Lyrics from the song, Frag’ mich Oft
Erich
Korngold, after Johann Strauss II
From Walzer aus Wien
Libretto by
Alfred Maria Willner, Heinz Reichert and
Ernst Marischka)
%2B(2).jpg)
%2B(2).jpg)
%2B(2).jpg)
%2B(2).jpg)
%2B(2).jpg)
%2B(640x480).jpg)
%2B(2).jpg)
%2B(2).jpg)
%2B(2).jpg)
%2B(2).jpg)
%2B(2).jpg)



%2B(2).jpg)
Oh, my Dear Friend,
ReplyDeleteGoing up to the brae at "the hour of sanctity"---I have absolutely no words for this. Your own words flow like the golden flow of colour over the sea, echoed by the candlelight in that voluptuous vase at the close. I cannot tell you the effect of this one post; had you never made another, this would have been enough.
And the music---I found myself hypnotised by the .simple rise and fall of the voice and the notes, reflected in the tiny red meter as it filled and lifted and swelled. And the Frag so glatt und süß wie schlag---(I did not realized the print would translate from my fingers to the proper lettering as I typed). What an absolute joy every moment of this "dropping in"---your guests were indeed fortunate in all this wonder and care, from the exquisitely-set welcome of the tartan table, to the closing notes.
And I, so absent and so dithery with my own little arrangements (a lot of which involved enriching the coffers of the SOLO cup-and-plate company this season of red-and-green plastic, with little brunches (mostly by Caro) and dinners upstairs and a pinto-bean supper on the Sunday after Christmas, rather than our customary Christmas Eve, because my oldest son and DDIL came up from Mississippi for a few days with us, and that's one tradition he remembers fondly. The good China was involved occasionally, and the Christmas Dishes (a gift from above son and DDIL years ago, and even a REAL LIVE PLUM PUDDING CAN-YOU-BELIEVE-IT??!!
Caro tried her hand at it, and it was absolutely all that Dear Mr. Dickens had ever described in all his prose. (She said that it was a wish granted to order a pound of suet and set to with a genuine "pudding basin" ordered special.
I had gone back to pick up a link to show you how AWAY I've been from my usual things, in getting together last years "book" as soon as the year closed. It's on its way, and though they grow slimmer and sparer as time goes on, perhaps I'll still have a few chapters for this year's volume come next January.
http://lawntea.blogspot.com/2014/09/a-happy-to-share.html I believe they may have arrived during your absence---it's been quite a flurry of an Autumn and holiday season.
Going now for a pot of tea, and a good "settle-in" to read and devour this sumptuous post again. It reads the way colours must taste.
all best and brightest,
r
My dear Rachel,
DeleteHappy New Year. I have absolutely no words for your kindness. You have praised this little post beyond words. Your spirit of generosity and cheerfulness breathes in every line of your charming message. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed reading this post. How wonderful to hear that you also listened to Renée Fleming's performance of song, Frag’ mich Oft. It is a long-forgotten song until she uncovered its anonymity in one of her recordings and concerts. The first time I heard this song was in this fabulous concert in Vienna where she performed it as one of her encores. You can tell that the audience in the concert was absolutely entranced in her performance of this patriotic song about Vienna.
I am so delighted to hear that you had a nice time with your family during Christmas holiday. Your family is very lucky to have someone who is very generous, hospitable and kind and who goes extra miles of arranging, organising and fitting everything in order. I shall have to look up your recommended link. I love the idea of putting things together in a year book either for posterity or reflection. I used to do a scrapbook in the days before Blogging, Pinterest and Instagram but I abandoned it now altogether.
It is very natural for me to entertain, talk about the books I read or the music that I love. I am grateful for this rare privilege and opportunity to share about things that I love on here. Art, music and literature are the nourishment for my soul.
But in a letter to his wife, Jane, the historian, Thomas Carlyle argued that: "Literature is the wine of life; it will not be, cannot be its food."
So, next week, when we return to our work and the reality of life after our holidays are over, we must remember that we are cultivating for the food so that we can enjoy 'the wine of life' so much more.
With best wishes,
ASD
Dear ASD, thank you for a beautiful text and exquisite photos! I found you via the Hattats, and am curious to read your blog further on.
ReplyDeleteDear Brigitta,
DeleteHello. A warm welcome. I am so glad to hear that you found this blog via my two dearest friends, Jane and Lance. I have met many fascinating people from reading their superb blog. I thank you very much for your visit and I sincerely hope to see you again.
With warm wishes, ASD
From your entries here, it looks as though your holidays were beautiful and spent in wonderful company. You always do things so gorgeously...Wishing you the best in the New Year and thanks for your e-mail. It is a pleasure to have found you again.
ReplyDeleteMy dear e, Happy New Year to you. I am absolutely delighted to see you here once again after a long absence. I often think of you and your beautiful writings. I hope all is going well with you. It was most thoughtful of you to drop me a line. I have met so many wonderful and kind people from this blog and you are definitely one of them. Thank you very much for your friendship.
DeleteBest wishes, ASD
Darling ASD,
ReplyDeleteAnd where should we be without the company of dear friends, without music, love, laughter, the pleasures of the written word and the joy, understanding and appreciation of solitude, and a readiness to embrace the natural world? All of this you have, and have in abundance, and it is posts such as this one, in which you share a manifold of treasures, that all of our lives are so fully enriched. For this we give you our heartfelt thanks.
For the year which now lies ahead, we wish you the greatest peace, prosperity, joy, health and happiness and whatever else your heart desires. J&L, xxx
Dearest Jane and Lance,
DeleteWhat a pleasant surprise! Welcome back. You both have been greatly missed. I kept looking out for your new posts for a number of months. At last, it gives me a great pleasure to find you and furthermore, we are rewarded with the most charming post about your trip to the beautiful city, Montevideo. It is truly gratifying to someone who is a hermit like me to contemplate you advancing so rapidly in the path of exploration by learning about the new country, language and culture. If I were an absolute monarch, how often I would have you write all about your adventures and stories about your holiday!
With all my sincere best wishes for the year 2015. May god bless you both.
Warmest wishes, ASD