![]() |
Like most
of the more startling events in life, I stumbled into it quite by chance. It is
not the kind of place that I would normally go to visit after work. But I was
in a moment when one was stifled by the heat after walking around the city and
my body was tipped forward, as if I was pushed by a surging throng of men and
women, blinded by the sun, jostling one another, in a chaotic riot of
enthusiasm, after their local football match. The strain of intoxicating
something in the air and full exposure to massive crowd, that seemed to be
experiencing what one might call the heights of life, where one gives oneself
up, without inhibitions or restrains, to the beguiling activities of verdant
and primitive natures, brought me extreme sense of discomfort and aggravated my
state of mind. I flung myself into the nearest bookshop in order to take refuge
in a more reassuring surrounding.
At the bookshop, I felt calm in the presence of old, second hand books. I picked up an old book on the shelf which was a withdrawn copy from a private school for girls in England. It was written by Margaret Plues in 1863 and titled Rambles in search of wild flowers. After reading a few pages in the introduction of the book, I was enraptured by the characters from the book. In many ways, the characters in Miss Plues’ book reminded me of Barbara Pym’s novels. Rambles in search of wild flowers is not a scientific book written for the botanists. It was written in a style of a novel, both old-fashioned and educational, where the main story involves with three delightful characters who form a botanical club together.
The main character is Fanny who spent “Two seasons in London, followed by gay autumns at watering places, had made sad havoc with the health of Fanny Dring, her pale face and attenuated figure, as she stood in the large bay window gazing wistfully on the lovely landscape, attracted her Mother’s anxious observation…” Fanny, who failed to find love, after ‘two seasons in London’, declared with a hint of resignation: “I am weary for want of an object for exertion.”
At the bookshop, I felt calm in the presence of old, second hand books. I picked up an old book on the shelf which was a withdrawn copy from a private school for girls in England. It was written by Margaret Plues in 1863 and titled Rambles in search of wild flowers. After reading a few pages in the introduction of the book, I was enraptured by the characters from the book. In many ways, the characters in Miss Plues’ book reminded me of Barbara Pym’s novels. Rambles in search of wild flowers is not a scientific book written for the botanists. It was written in a style of a novel, both old-fashioned and educational, where the main story involves with three delightful characters who form a botanical club together.
The main character is Fanny who spent “Two seasons in London, followed by gay autumns at watering places, had made sad havoc with the health of Fanny Dring, her pale face and attenuated figure, as she stood in the large bay window gazing wistfully on the lovely landscape, attracted her Mother’s anxious observation…” Fanny, who failed to find love, after ‘two seasons in London’, declared with a hint of resignation: “I am weary for want of an object for exertion.”
The second
character is Cousin Esther, a bit of a blue-stocking who had probably read
Harriet Martineau and George Eliot in the privacy of her boudoir.
Finally,
the third character, who is my favourite, Cousin Edward, aged seventeen (“a
brilliant scholar in a large public school in one of the midland counties”) and
he was spending his holiday with his aunt. He had very little patience for ordinary
things. He complained his annoyance: “My mother is always exhorting me to take
exercise and I have no objection to a good game at cricket; but for a constitution
walk! – it is the greatest bore that ever was invented.” Cousin Edward’s lack
of knowledge in flowers struck a chord with me when he confessed: “I scarcely
knew a Dandelion from a Buttercup…” Nevertheless, his character contains an
indefinable element of zeal and childlike courage in the way he is devoted to study
his flowers as he attempts to botanize at his public school where the boys,
tongue-in-cheek, called him a Nancy-boy.
Miss Plues wrote, “Matters did not go quite as smoothly with Edward Leigh; but the boy was largely endowed with firmness and held steadily to his purpose. When first the other day-pupils found that he was addicting himself to collecting flowers, they named him, “Miss Flora”. He declined ever replying to this cognomen…”
Miss Plues wrote, “Matters did not go quite as smoothly with Edward Leigh; but the boy was largely endowed with firmness and held steadily to his purpose. When first the other day-pupils found that he was addicting himself to collecting flowers, they named him, “Miss Flora”. He declined ever replying to this cognomen…”
![]() |
| The Gentle Art of Walking by Geoffrey Murray (with illustrations by Clifford Webb) |
![]() |
| Illustration by Clifford Webb |
The other
week I talked to my friend, Gordon about my latest discovery of Miss Plues’
book and how I yearned to see the flowers, the birds and the bees in the countryside.
There were many days when I slinked away into a corner of my garden with a book
in my hand to dream of the three characters from Miss Plues’ book with a hope
that they would give me instructions on acquiring the kind of flowers they
recommend in the book. A few days later, Gordon came round to my house in his
motor car to make a daring proposal; an escapade from my constant privations
which were my natural comfort zone in the ordered solitude of country life. He
seemed to have a hundred questions for me if I was going to decline his proposal
but he withheld them all, for the time being, while he was thinking of other vague schemes of reformation, which he had in mind, to draw me out from my timorous shell.
In the
end, I went along with his idea which made him say, “Jolly good! That’s very
chivalrous of you!” Gordon’s idea was to walk all the way from Arbroath to
Friockheim and then, he promised me that he would take me to a place he knew I
would love. I packed essential things
for our walk such as a map, a pair of binoculars and a book (for inspiration)
titled The Gentle Art of Walking by Geoffrey Murray in my haversack. Gordon
brought a mat made of cambric trimmed with floral decoration and packed
sandwiches for our picnic. Both my friend and my heart had not misled me. How
beautiful the countryside was on that day! It was filled with the perfume from thistles
and pine trees adorning with the spider’s webs, freshly woven in that morning
as they quivered like lace in the breeze. The long ribbon of river streaming in
the sunlight in ever varying curves while our lungs breathed a beneficent
freshness in the unpolluted air. I was seized with voluptuous astonishment, despite
the fatigue of the journey, after we walked for three hours on the streets that
wind snake-like on their ways, when we reached our final destination – a secret paradise,
as Gordon called it.
.jpg)
Indeed, it
was an earthly paradise. I loved it! It’s definitely worth every effort to make
the trip to this place. Especially, on a fine day when the sky is cloudless,
the willow warblers with their yellow-tinged chest singing their golden melodic
notes, the crickets croak, the dragonflies and the bees buzz and all is blend into
a harmony to soothe the heart’s aching wounds. Pitmuies Garden is a private
garden. Unlike the public gardens and the National Trust gardens at this time
of the year, it is not populated and crowded with the visitors and the
tourists. It opens daily during the summer months.
Mr and Mrs
Ruaraidh Ogilvie are the current owner of both the house and the garden. The property was
first bought by Major and Mrs Douglas Ogilvie in 1945. The garden was
originally developed by the current owner’s mother, Margaret Ogilvie, the same
name as the mother of the famous Scottish writer, J. M. Barrie who also came
from this area (Kirriemuir, one of the most picturesque places in Scotland). The
garden reveals the taste and personality of the owner. It is full of
characters, whimsical and eccentric visions and theatrical ornaments - all of
infinite variety; all full of originality, of life, of texture, and of vision;
all of exquisite beauty both of design and craftsmanship. Above all, it is a
place where one breathes an air laden with happiness and solitude. As we
strolled along the garden, I thanked my friend Gordon for taking me to this
place. From now on, it has to become our secret garden, I said to him while we
walked on the lawn ornamented by several urns of flowers.
There is a
nameless bronze bust statue which looks so dandy in the garden, and it reminds
me a picture of my favourite Italian tenor, Fernando De Lucia. We decided to name after him.
We had our
sandwiches inside the wall garden as we gazed with admiration at its well-
proportioned features, climbing different colourful and fragrant roses, clematis flowers that sprawl around the garden with rich and libertine fancy, foliage
and clumps of trees, whose green hues Nature has tinted. On that day, except
from Gordon and I, there were only two other visitors, an elderly couple, who
came a little later than us. At the entrance to the wall garden, we could not
help overhearing their conversation as we had our lunch by the garden pond. They
were walking arm and arm. The lady asked the gentleman: “Edward, why do you
always have to walk on the right side?” The gentleman replied in his elegant
English voice, “My dear, I am keeping my fencing arm free!” And they disappeared
out of our sight as they walked slowly into ‘Kissing Gate’.
Before
leaving the garden, I thought about Miss Plues, the authoress of Rambles in Search of Wild flowers, and the
characters from that book that I referred to earlier: the romantic Fanny with a pale face and 'attenuated' figure, the
blue-stocking Cousin Esther and Cousin Edward alias ‘Miss Flora’ and how much
they would love this garden.
'Kissing Gate'

+(2).jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)

.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
Dearest ASD:
ReplyDeleteHow enchanting is this post. First we are captivated with the characters of Miss Plues' work [we forbear from actually placing it within a category] who would surely delight us as much as they have you and then, furthermore, we have been utterly entranced with your account of your visit to Pitmuies, a garden which looks and sounds to be so much the kind we should enjoy.
That said, judging from your pictures, it is the quiet, 'green' areas which would appeal to us most. Towards the end of our own gardening days, we rather tired of too much in the way of colour, apart from green and white, and if we were ever, most unlikely now, to make another garden, then it would most likely be very restricted where colour was concerned.
We are, however, so pleased to learn that you have been out and about and certainly think that you should encourage your friend, Gordon, in further suggestions for days out.
My dearest Jane and Lance,
DeleteHow wonderful to see your comment. I hope you both are well and having a nice weekend.
When I was writing this post, I had you both in my mind and I was slightly unsure whether I would be taking coal to Newcastle with this post, so to speak.
I am also uncertain if you would like this sort of garden (that is managed with a kind of assiduity and greater informality than formality where more emphasis is placed on the power of man trying unite beauty and nature). As for me, I like the gardens that look as if they were the spontaneous production of nature such as the gardens at the Great Dixter House and I'm inspired by the ideas of the author, William Robinson who wrote "The Wild Garden". But I confessed that I have very little talent in this department!!
As you are both experts in this matter, I'm very glad to hear that you would enjoy reading the Victorian Lady Botanist, Miss Plues' "Rambles in Search of Wild Flowers". I discovered it by chance at the bookshop under "Natural History" section, and I felt that it's probably written for other passionate ladies, during the Victorian era, who were horticulturalists like Miss Plues.
I have got a special affection for Cousin Edward, the only male character in Miss Plues' book because I am very ill-read and dunderheaded when it comes to remembering the name of the plants and the flowers.
It is just as well that the blogger today is not working properly as I couldn't put captions on the images that I posted because I couldn't remember a single name for the flowers and the trees I saw in Pitmuies Garden.
I can well understand when you said you would be hesitant to have another large garden. People don't realise how much hard work the garden requires to maintain. I think it is possibly a wise idea to go with the utmost simplicity like the two tone cardigan which is enough for an elegant taste.
With best wishes, ASD
Our dearest ASD,
DeleteThere could never, in any sense, be any suggestion of taking coals to Newcastle where we are concerned. In all of our serious gardening years we visited countless gardens, some many times over, and on each occasion, and everywhere, we took something away in the sense of design ideas, colour combinations, textural effects or, simply, the atmosphere. One's mind, as you will recognize only too well, must never be closed to new experiences.
We knew of Pitmuies but had never visited and so this post was, and remains, of particular interest for what it says and shows of that garden. Yes, it is true, we favour greater formality in gardens than might perhaps be found at Gravetye and Great Dixter but, that said, all 'good' gardens have something to offer. For our part, if we were to attempt to name favourites, then they would be Sissinghurst [as it was before it became somewhat over gardened in the hands of The National Trust], Hidcote, Plas Brondanw, Wollerton Old Hall [dear friends] and somewhere like The Courts Garden at Holt in Wiltshire.
Strangely, we do not miss our own garden. It was a huge responsibility and expense to keep up and whilst we welcomed visitors in the sense that many were delightful and their entrance fee contributed towards the maintenance, we did rather at times feel the lack of privacy.
Now, the two tone cardigan, or even one of single colour, strikes a chord!!
Oh, You!!
ReplyDeleteI've so missed you these past whiles, and this is absolutely the fragrant tonic for the wait.
What a charming and interesting post, with all the florals and colours and vignettes of sweet repose, so welcoming and reserved just for YOU. And your companion so generous with his time and the gift of this special, special place. You're going to remember this walk until your last day.
I've been smiling from first moment when I saw your light pop on in the sidebar, all through that first tempting picture (which I vainly clicked on twice, oddly surmising that the page-gates would whisk open into magical vistas like Dorothy's door).
And the modern magic of the scroll-down has revealed scene after scene of delightful meanderings and respite and joy, and in such charming company as to steer you to such an unknown, perfect place. My, My. To live within walking distance of such beauty and lush green, just in reach for the taking.
Each and every picture and word has been perfectly chosen and neatly presented, round and complete as an apple on a palm---oh, to wander there, wander there.
Chris is taking me to lunch, and I dast not ask for dessert after this. Simple perfection, word and scene.
So glad to see you again, and I hope you have been well---on this Solstice of Summer (on which we ventured to Stonehenge once, but were not allowed in, for we had no Druid provenance, but so enjoyed the great procession of costumed monks and knights and fae, as they ebbed and flowed around the bus, as far as we could see) I wish you well and happy and living every day as in a rare bookshop or magical garden.
rachel
My dear Rachel,
DeleteFirst and foremost, please accept my sincere apologies for my long absence and your kind and thoughtful messages are very much appreciated.
My frantic timetable at the summer months and other commitments have taken all my available time away and I very much regret the fact that I have not kept my liberty to visit my favourite blogs online. Though fond of many acquaintances online, I desire an intimacy only with a few dear friends (including you). So, I can't wait to come to read all your latest news and adventures.
I hope all is well with you and Chris. I am delighted to hear that you like the pictures in this post. Please forgive me for not being able to put the captions on the images in this post. The blogger has let me down due to some technical fault which is most tiresome!
How amazing that you visited Stonehenge during the summer! I hope you would come back to your beloved England very soon for a visit. I have been there many years ago on my way to Wiltshire - a pilgrimage journey to see the house - Ham Spray where my favourite writer, Lytton Strachey used to live in the tiny English village called Ham.
I wish you the best possible weekend and thank you once again Rachel for your time and sweet words.
Best wishes, ASD