Friday, 14 February 2014

Words From the Heart





Heart-shaped biscuits, a hand-made gift from my two years old nephew 


I have always been a dreamer for it is easier to be a dreamer than to be an artist. To be an artist is hard work because one needs to create something out of nothing – links visible only to the eyes of the soul or comprehend something whether it is the art of writing, painting, poetry, cooking, living or loving. The art of living and loving are both intertwined, in which, no matter how hard we try, we become a master too late in life.


 So, on this St. Valentine’s Day, I would let the masters of overflowing lyricism who are quite matchless in their expression of love to educate and enlighten us and at the same time, to console, and be the confidant of our thoughts when our hearts mislead us from time to time or when we want balm for the heart’s aching wounds for their words, I hope, will breathe a beneficent freshness and convey their peaceful sweetness to our soul. This is a purely personal choice about love in various phases and colours. There are statements of loss and regret as well as celebrations.


 ~


Love – I cannot live without it. Oh, I do not mean that I go into a decline, develop odd symptoms, become a caricature. I mean something far more serious than that. I mean that I cannot live well without it. I cannot think or act or speak or write or even dream with any kind of energy in the absence of love. I feel excluded from the living world. I become cold, fish-like, immobile. I implode. My idea of absolute happiness is to sit in a hot garden all day, reading or writing – utterly safe in the knowledge that the person I love will come home to me in the evening…every evening.       

Anita Brookner’s Booker Prize-winning novel, Hotel du Lac (1984)

~
 



Cromyomancy* carves out a preview,
And a foretaste of you:
Brittle as gold-leaf the outer skin,
Firmness within;
Full savour, more piercing than any
 Peach or strawberry;
The heart will grow.
From the beginning, tears flow,
But of no rage or grief:
Wise cromyomancers know
Weeping augurs belief.

Kingsley Amis
(*cromyomancy: divination by means of onions)


 ~


Good morning, Midnight!
I'm coming home.
Day got tired of me -
How could I of him?
Sunshine was a sweet place,
I'd like to stay -
But Morn didn't want me - now -
So good night, Day!


Emily Dickinson


~
If ever any beauty I did see,
Which I desir’d and got, ‘twas but a dream of thee.


John Donne’s The Good Morrow

~


Oh my dear I would like to be something else, anything else, an albatross. In short I wish I never knew you. Or could forget. Or be a bone – you could suck it. Or a stone in the bottom of your pocket, slipped down if you like, though one of the holes in the lining and wedged into the hem more or less forever, until you threw the coat away…


Over by Edna O’Brien, recently published in her collection of short stories, The Love Object (2013). 
~


There were no questions in this time. All was agreeing, answer after answer melting, lapsing into one another: “Yes”; “Yes, darling”; “Yes” – smiling, accepting, kissing, dismissing…No argument, no discussion. No separate character any more to judge, test, learn by degrees. He was like breathing, like the heart beating – unknown, essential, mysterious. He was like the dark…


Well, I know what it is to be in love all right….


The Weather in the Streets by Rosamond Lehmann (I remember reading somewhere that this novel was Dirk Bogarde’s favourite).



 

Letter from Nathaniel Hawthorne to Sophia Hawthorne (5th December 1839)

 
Dearest, - I wish I had the gift of making rhymes, for methinks there is poetry in my head and heart since I have been in love with you. You are a Poem. Of what sort, then? Epic? Mercy on me, no! A sonnet? No; for that is too laboured and artificial. You are a sort of sweet, simple, gay, pathetic ballad, which Nature is singing, sometimes with tears, sometimes with smiles, and sometimes with intermingled smiles and tears.

Lady Antonia Fraser

Nathaniel Hawthorne quote is taken from “Love Letters: An Anthology chosen by Antonia Fraser” (She dedicated this personal anthology of love to her husband, the playwright, Harold Pinter).
~ 

I've known a hundred kinds of love;
All made the loved one rue...

EMILY BRONTË

 ~

The bonsai on the bench,
Wind-sculpted like memory –
I liked that part.

The path along the river,
And your fingers on my back –
I lived that part.

The quiet of your breathing,
And how you heard your heart -
I loved that part.

 
A Japanese Haiku poem



4 comments:

  1. Your nephew's biscuits are a gorgeous construction of Donne's "dream of thee." Absolutely breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How charming and beautiful and heart-felt! And two-in-a-day---what riches.

    And those precious small hands and their artistry outweigh any words he knows yet. But just you wait.

    Many happy wishes for this special day---I awoke to a total-PINK room, arranged by Chris, and if the snow abates, we're meeting the children for lobster.

    rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Japanese haiku best, just so beautiful!

    How lovely to receive those iced hearts from your baby nephew... now that's love indeed.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Laurent: thank you so much for your most charming comment. My nephew's Valentine gift was one of the sweetest gifts I've ever received.

    My dear Rachel,

    I'm utterly amazed by your stylish celebration at home on your Valentine's Day. Chris knows exactly how to make you feel appreciated and loved. What a wonderful man he is!!

    My dear Jane,

    How lovely to see you. Hope you are well. I'm so glad to hear that you like the Japanese poem. It's one of my favourites too. All the poems and writings in this post are very personal choice. So, I am pleased that you like the choice.

    With warm wishes, ASD

    ReplyDelete

Here is a place set apart from the press of days, where those who linger may find, in quiet company, a measure of solace drawn from nature, art, literature, music, and the deeper currents of thought. It means more than I can say that you pause here, not only to read and look, but to leave behind words that turn these solitary reflections into a shared conversation.